Coronovirus And Fishing

I am respecting the advice on non essential journeys ( I only travel to and from work ) yet although i'm not allowed to drive seven miles to a private, gated fishery it's o.k for my neighbour to make the same journey on a bicycle. He told me he'd cycled past the fishery yesterday and was surprised nobody was fishing.

I heard today of an angler fishing on the canal being fined for breaching the coronavirus rules on unnecessary travel.

On 25/03/2020 at 16:07, tinfoilhat said:

Aston springs have closed as of Monday so that's that really.

Yes, and my 80 quid yearly permit doesn't expire till August. Wonder if they will give me an extension? 

15 hours ago, charliewag said:

I heard today of an angler fishing on the canal being fined for breaching the coronavirus rules on unnecessary travel.

That's interesting, in so much they specified unnecessary travel. I could walk to a couple of places in 30 minutes or less (not with much gear though!) but then I'd just be sat there for hours, effectively sunbathing but nobody near me. They'd get me for something - and they be right - I'm just not sure what. 

14 hours ago, drolnhoj said:

Yes, and my 80 quid yearly permit doesn't expire till August. Wonder if they will give me an extension? 

Tough one this. On the one hand you've not been able to use your permit, on the other hand he's not likely taken a penny for months so might not be able to afford to be generous.

And here's another thought. As no bait has gone in, and won't be going in for a while yet, are fishery owners going to have to get some pellets in?

I can walk to the upper Don in ten minutes but this stretch is popular with dog walkers and joggers. I wouldn't  be bothering anyone but someone is bound to have a go or even report me. I love my fishing but a  &60 day ticket is a bit too much.

6 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Tough one this. On the one hand you've not been able to use your permit, on the other hand he's not likely taken a penny for months so might not be able to afford to be generous.

And here's another thought. As no bait has gone in, and won't be going in for a while yet, are fishery owners going to have to get some pellets in?

Both valid points I guess, but those who don't have permits are not paying anything and those who do have permits have already paid for something they cannot use. 

What's it going to take to get you back on the bank. Easing of the travel rules, complete end to lockdown or anything else

4 hours ago, Pkingy said:

What's it going to take to get you back on the bank. Easing of the travel rules, complete end to lockdown or anything else

The minute travel rules ease, I'm off!

But fishery owners might need to earn their coin a bit to ensure social distancing.

As soon as my either of my two local fisheries open i'll be booking a few days off. Everything is ready to go, all I would have to do is prepare some bait.

For me it's when the schools go back. But remember before we had all these lakes and ponds to fish it the season started on june the 16th

I took up fly fishing in the late 70's to beat the close season blues. I also remember some coarse fisheries stocking little brown trout to avoid having to shut for three months.