Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, speleo1 said:

I think it means anything faulty

But for most things, it would need to go into a garage; if its going into a garage, it may as well get an MOT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know what your saying it's in the garage being repaired so why not mot it, mine was booked in for 30 march now it's been cancelled .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about the staff at the garages dealing with all manor of people bringing their cars in, how can you ensure they are not potentially passing the virus on,i.e. they are touching and sitting in the car that you then get in to drive home etc?. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the garages will be doing the sanitising befor they get in your car like cleaning the steering wheel and door handles and maybe put a clean sheet on your seat,and you can do the same when you collect it.

Even though it may be with an Oily rag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, pintor said:

What about the staff at the garages dealing with all manor of people bringing their cars in, how can you ensure they are not potentially passing the virus on,i.e. they are touching and sitting in the car that you then get in to drive home etc?. 

They have reduced leisure activities to cut down risk, but things which relate to safety should still carry on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing as I now have nowhere to go in car  it is now parked up for the time being.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, El Cid said:

But for most things, it would need to go into a garage; if its going into a garage, it may as well get an MOT.

An MOT test is time consuming and it has to be done by a mechanic with the correct qualifications.  Also there is the issue of obtaining parts  needed for a vehicle to pass the MOT. Under normal circumstances then it would be sensible to have an MOT if a car owner had concerns about a vehicle before the test is due. The 6 month MOT extension is a sensible measure at this time to keep people on the road for those essential journeys.  It's  one less worry for car owners who have a vehicle which requires an MOT in the next few weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, West 77 said:

An MOT test is time consuming and it has to be done by a mechanic with the correct qualifications.  Also there is the issue of obtaining parts  needed for a vehicle to pass the MOT. Under normal circumstances then it would be sensible to have an MOT if a car owner had concerns about a vehicle before the test is due. The 6 month MOT extension is a sensible measure at this time to keep people on the road for those essential journeys.  It's  one less worry for car owners who have a vehicle which requires an MOT in the next few weeks.

If it needs parts, then its not safe enough. The new rules state that they should still be in a road worthy condition, which really means complying with the MOT rules.

2 hours ago, speleo1 said:

Seeing as I now have nowhere to go in car  it is now parked up for the time being.

So the MOT test is irrelevant, as they only proscecute if the car is seen by an officer being driven.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, El Cid said:

If it needs parts, then its not safe enough. The new rules state that they should still be in a road worthy condition, which really means complying with the MOT rules.

 

The temporary 6 months extension to an MOT has been introduced because the country is in a state of emergency as a consequence of the Coronavirus.  We don't  want Doctors and Nurses having more difficulty in getting to work because they can't get an MOT for their car they normally drive to work in.  Cars don't just fail MOT's for safety reasons because there are rules on emissions for example. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just been to garage and asked abou test They said the government said you can wait 6 months befor you need to get it tested.

But if you want it tested after the 30 march they will do it

Hi the government as said if your mot runs out after March you can wait 6 months before you need to get it tested,but in that 6 months without a up to date test the onus is on you,there for if you have an accident your insurance company may not pay ifs your fault, especially if it’s due to a fault with your car ,hope this clarifies what you need to know ,kind regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I understand it any vehicle which needs testing after March 31st will be allowed a 6 month extension.This will apply for the next 12 months. I am therefore assuming that my car,which needs testing in September is now covered until March.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, speleo1 said:

Just been to garage and asked abou test They said the government said you can wait 6 months befor you need to get it tested.

But if you want it tested after the 30 march they will do it

Hi the government as said if your mot runs out after March you can wait 6 months before you need to get it tested,but in that 6 months without a up to date test the onus is on you,there for if you have an accident your insurance company may not pay ifs your fault, especially if it’s due to a fault with your car ,hope this clarifies what you need to know ,kind regards

The 6 months extension shouldn't make any difference regarding insurance claims  because the car will have a valid MOT certificate for 18 months instead of 12 months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.