Mot Tests

Well the garages will be doing the sanitising befor they get in your car like cleaning the steering wheel and door handles and maybe put a clean sheet on your seat,and you can do the same when you collect it.

Even though it may be with an Oily rag.

56 minutes ago, pintor said:

What about the staff at the garages dealing with all manor of people bringing their cars in, how can you ensure they are not potentially passing the virus on,i.e. they are touching and sitting in the car that you then get in to drive home etc?. 

They have reduced leisure activities to cut down risk, but things which relate to safety should still carry on.

Seeing as I now have nowhere to go in car  it is now parked up for the time being.

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

An MOT test is time consuming and it has to be done by a mechanic with the correct qualifications.  Also there is the issue of obtaining parts  needed for a vehicle to pass the MOT. Under normal circumstances then it would be sensible to have an MOT if a car owner had concerns about a vehicle before the test is due. The 6 month MOT extension is a sensible measure at this time to keep people on the road for those essential journeys.  It's  one less worry for car owners who have a vehicle which requires an MOT in the next few weeks.

If it needs parts, then its not safe enough. The new rules state that they should still be in a road worthy condition, which really means complying with the MOT rules.

2 hours ago, speleo1 said:

Seeing as I now have nowhere to go in car  it is now parked up for the time being.

So the MOT test is irrelevant, as they only proscecute if the car is seen by an officer being driven.

Just been to garage and asked abou test They said the government said you can wait 6 months befor you need to get it tested.

But if you want it tested after the 30 march they will do it

Hi the government as said if your mot runs out after March you can wait 6 months before you need to get it tested,but in that 6 months without a up to date test the onus is on you,there for if you have an accident your insurance company may not pay ifs your fault, especially if it’s due to a fault with your car ,hope this clarifies what you need to know ,kind regards

As I understand it any vehicle which needs testing after March 31st will be allowed a 6 month extension.This will apply for the next 12 months. I am therefore assuming that my car,which needs testing in September is now covered until March.

Maybe the government should have talked it through with insurance companies and clarified whether you would still be insured under the new mot rules they've introduced, how about people self employed etc who can't afford to tax their car till government money comes through, maybe prioritising household bills first

20 hours ago, pintor said:

Maybe the government should have talked it through with insurance companies and clarified whether you would still be insured under the new mot rules they've introduced, how about people self employed etc who can't afford to tax their car till government money comes through, maybe prioritising household bills first

I can't provide a link to this but I remember reading on one of the many motoring E.Mails I receive that insurance companies have no legal right to say a car is uninsured if it is not taxed or tested.Whilst the government has given itself the right to impound an untaxed car the driver is never prosecuted for no insurance unless it is genuinely uninsured.As a test certificate only applies at the point of testing,it is nothing to do with the condition of the car in the next 12 months and therefore the insurance company can only refuse to pay out if it can prove the car was not in a roadworthy condition.No test does not prove this.Having no test does not carry any penalty points and the driver is never prosecuted for having no insurance.The advice given was if the insurance company tries it on contact the ombudsman immediately.