Mot Tests

Is that for just for Buses ,lorries trailers etc or for cars.

From the Mirror website.

Coronavirus: Drivers to get 6 month exemption on MOTs under emergency measures. 

What happens to road tax, will they alter the system allowing people to renew the tax as well?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/breaking-drivers-6-month-exemption-21750396

Edited by iansheff

The government has just announced a 6 month extension for MOTs due after 30th March. Mine is due 28th March, and as I’m over 70 and in self isolation, so not allowed out, does anyone know how I get my car tested. The tax runs out on the 31st March, so if I can’t get it sorted, the car will have to go off road. Help

hilp4

You could call not garage and see if they will pick your car up and drop off aterwards,but it may be to late to get it booked in at short notice.

10 hours ago, rudds1 said:

Mot tests to be waived from 30th of this month so key workers can get out to do their jobs but vehicles are to be kept in good order 

Do they just mean the outside of the car, the parts that you can see?

I think it means anything faulty

6 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Do they just mean the outside of the car, the parts that you can see?

All of it mate. It's an offence to drive a vehicle on a public highway if it is not in a roadworthy condition. That is whether the vehicle has a valid MOT or not.

9 hours ago, iansheff said:

From the Mirror website.

Coronavirus: Drivers to get 6 month exemption on MOTs under emergency measures. 

What happens to road tax, will they alter the system allowing people to renew the tax as well?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/breaking-drivers-6-month-exemption-21750396

That's going to be fun in September for the test stations. September is also a very busy time for test stations without doing the March ones too. Quick question for anyone out there, why do you leave your MOT's till the last minute? You do realise you can have it tested up to one Month early and not lose your original expiry date.

3 hours ago, speleo1 said:

I think it means anything faulty

But for most things, it would need to go into a garage; if its going into a garage, it may as well get an MOT.

I know what your saying it's in the garage being repaired so why not mot it, mine was booked in for 30 march now it's been cancelled .

What about the staff at the garages dealing with all manor of people bringing their cars in, how can you ensure they are not potentially passing the virus on,i.e. they are touching and sitting in the car that you then get in to drive home etc?.