Mot Tests

My car is due its MOT very soon. If lots of garages are closing and it becomes hard to find anyone who can do the test, has anyone heard if the govt intends to extend existing certificates to prevent people driving illegally?

Thanks

Garages will remain open until the  government decide otherwise. Highly unlikely, as it is part of the  service industry. The problem you could have, is this time of the year is a very busy time for test stations. When you say its due very soon, how soon? Have you tried to book it in at the test station you normally use?  or tried to book it in somewhere else?

Only heard rumours of MOT extensions, but while MOT stations are open this wont happen.

You could always take it in befor it runs out,

I got an email from Evans Halshaw saying that they would do a pick up/drop off on servicing and MOT. My car is a way off either so I can't say if it will be free or even happen. I very much doubt they are the cheapest for MOTs although they will price match. If it gets to a state where things are locked down more, maybe more garages will offer the same type of service.

Keep in mind that you can have 12 months plus (about) 30 days on your MOT. I can't remember the exact numbers but it's near enough 13 months.

I think it's another "wait and see" situation. As it stands today, phone round and get it booked in if you can.

1 hour ago, speleo1 said:

You could always take it in befor it runs out,

Yes, I will do that. but last time I tried, my usual garage were not answering the phone. My qestion was really about what will happen if people are unable to get a test.

You might have to expand the search from "my usual" Graham. I know we tend to use places we trust but in this abnormal time, a change may be on the cards to keep on the right side of the law.

The last place I used that wasn't a dealer was DL Autos just off Rutland Rd. He was always fair and you can wait if you want.

Mine is due soon. Pretty sure I will ring them up.

Drop it off at 9am.  Come back at 5pm and find the new certificate on the dash.

Pay via contactless card (or phone) and drive off.

No different to buying something at a shop?

3 hours ago, sharpend said:

Mine is due soon. Pretty sure I will ring them up.

Drop it off at 9am.  Come back at 5pm and find the new certificate on the dash.

Pay via contactless card (or phone) and drive off.

No different to buying something at a shop?

err, and what if it fails?

A good question re th e MoT... also will I still be able to buy tyres after Boris's statement tonight.

13 hours ago, West 77 said:

I don't think the Tyre Garages will be allowed to open and I don't think the police will be checking cars for faulty tyres.  The issue is regarding insurance for vehicles without a valid MOT if there is an accident.  We are effectively in a war time situation so I assume anyone caught driving a car to a supermarket with a recently expired MOT will be treated more leniently than during normal times.

I have a slow puncture, MOT due 8th April, I am expecting to get a new tyre in the next couple of days.

Mot tests to be waived from 30th of this month so key workers can get out to do their jobs but vehicles are to be kept in good order