Classic Football Matches

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

Game of the century wasn't televised  - 1968, Owls 5 Man Utd 4 -YTV were busy showing a bore fest Leeds v Liverpool (0-1 if I remember).

Agreed. What a shame it wasn't recorded. On the following Monday, the Morning Telegraph did a montage of what the national Sundays had said about the match. I kept a clipping of that but lost it years ago. 

23 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Mexico 1970 World Cup semi final. Apparently known as the Game of the Century. Italy 4-3 West Germany.

I watched this game as a football mad 11 year old. I have a DVD of the 1970 world cup but it only features highlights of the games.

Worth looking on youtube for Dennis Waterman's MOTD compilation clips. The legends, Lorimer, Clarke, Keegan etc are easily recalled, but viewing the shows reminded me how great others from that era were, such as Steve Kember, Alec Lindsay, Bobby Kerr, John Radford.... Unsung and largely forgotten. Shame.

And, obviously, you get "A quality goal from a quality player..."

The Been are showing highlights of classic premiership games this saturday night. There are other games being shown earlier in the day and on the red button.