Jump to content


Classic Football Matches

Recommended Posts

I see BBC 1 are showing highlights of classic FA Cup matches at 3:00 this afternoon whilst Match of the Day will be a discussion of podcasts. Why don't they use MOTD to show complete classic World Cup games from the past? I remember some great games from the 70s featuring Holland, Argentina, Brazil etc. and it would give younger viewers the chance to see footballers like Pele, Eusabio, Cruyff etc in action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Sundays programme there is Wednesday v Derby in 1993.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to see some MOTD repeats from the 70s , 80s and 90s. As Despritdan says, some of the old World Cup games would make good viewing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two classic games I remember & like to see again are:

 

1967 Intercontinental Cup, Celtic v Racing Club of Argentina. 3 legged affair & not the greatest football display but  remembered as 3 of the dirtiest games games I've ever seen.  Players being sent off from both sides & as I recall in the final game, riot police having to come on to the pitch a couple of times to restore order between the players.  

 

Best World Cup game?  1982, semi-final, West Germany v France.  Some of the best players in the world on the pitch at the same time, including Platini at his best. 

 

End to end action, 1 - 1 at full-time.  3 - 3 after extra time & W. Germany winning 5 - 4 on penalties. 

 

Should it have ended this way?  Those who watched it may remember that the Germans should have seen their 1st choice keeper, Schumacher walk for deliberately & cynically, (no other words for it?), taking out one of the French players in a one one one situation, resulting in the French player being knocked out cold for ages, loosing a few teeth in the incident & being stretched off.  I don't recall that Schumacher even got a yellow card? 

 

I remember this game particularly well as we were on holiday at the time, staying in an Italian camp site, with the camp divided with many French & German holiday makers.  Great atmosphere & absolutely not trouble during or after the game but the drink was certainly flowing that night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, despritdan said:

I see BBC 1 are showing highlights of classic FA Cup matches at 3:00 this afternoon whilst Match of the Day will be a discussion of podcasts. Why don't they use MOTD to show complete classic World Cup games from the past? I remember some great games from the 70s featuring Holland, Argentina, Brazil etc. and it would give younger viewers the chance to see footballers like Pele, Eusabio, Cruyff etc in action.

Remember the W Germany v Holland World Cup game from 1990 & the animosity between Voller & Rijkaard? 

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/26835219

 

Not a bad game though.

 

England should have beaten the Germans in the semis.  Probably our best chance of reaching a final since 1966?

Edited by Baron99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a classic game, but if you've a couple of hours spare, I'd recommend watching the docufilm Diego Maradona on All4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To replace MOTD, the beeb had Lineker, Wright and Shearer discussing who was the best captain in the premtership. I watched five minutes before turning the tv off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Two classic games I remember & like to see again are:

 

1967 Intercontinental Cup, Celtic v Racing Club of Argentina. 3 legged affair & not the greatest football display but  remembered as 3 of the dirtiest games games I've ever seen.  Players being sent off from both sides & as I recall in the final game, riot police having to come on to the pitch a couple of times to restore order between the players.  

 

Best World Cup game?  1982, semi-final, West Germany v France.  Some of the best players in the world on the pitch at the same time, including Platini at his best. 

 

End to end action, 1 - 1 at full-time.  3 - 3 after extra time & W. Germany winning 5 - 4 on penalties. 

 

Should it have ended this way?  Those who watched it may remember that the Germans should have seen their 1st choice keeper, Schumacher walk for deliberately & cynically, (no other words for it?), taking out one of the French players in a one one one situation, resulting in the French player being knocked out cold for ages, loosing a few teeth in the incident & being stretched off.  I don't recall that Schumacher even got a yellow card? 

 

I remember this game particularly well as we were on holiday at the time, staying in an Italian camp site, with the camp divided with many French & German holiday makers.  Great atmosphere & absolutely not trouble during or after the game but the drink was certainly flowing that night. 

19 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Two classic games I remember & like to see again are:

 

1967 Intercontinental Cup, Celtic v Racing Club of Argentina. 3 legged affair & not the greatest football display but  remembered as 3 of the dirtiest games games I've ever seen.  Players being sent off from both sides & as I recall in the final game, riot police having to come on to the pitch a couple of times to restore order between the players.  

 

Best World Cup game?  1982, semi-final, West Germany v France.  Some of the best players in the world on the pitch at the same time, including Platini at his best. 

 

End to end action, 1 - 1 at full-time.  3 - 3 after extra time & W. Germany winning 5 - 4 on penalties. 

 

Should it have ended this way?  Those who watched it may remember that the Germans should have seen their 1st choice keeper, Schumacher walk for deliberately & cynically, (no other words for it?), taking out one of the French players in a one one one situation, resulting in the French player being knocked out cold for ages, loosing a few teeth in the incident & being stretched off.  I don't recall that Schumacher even got a yellow card? 

 

I remember this game particularly well as we were on holiday at the time, staying in an Italian camp site, with the camp divided with many French & German holiday makers.  Great atmosphere & absolutely not trouble during or after the game but the drink was certainly flowing that night. 

That 'tackle 'by Schumacher-shoulder high with both knees-resulted in the French player Patrick Battiston, not only losing a few teeth and being rendered unconscious but his smashed collar bone was lodged into his windpipe and he could have died right there had it not been for the swift medical attention.

 

Edited by St Petre
add

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mexico 1970 World Cup semi final. Apparently known as the Game of the Century. Italy 4-3 West Germany.

Edited by Jim Hardie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, charliewag said:

To replace MOTD, the beeb had Lineker, Wright and Shearer discussing who was the best captain in the premtership. I watched five minutes before turning the tv off.

Agreed. There's enough punditry when football's actually on, without it replacing the action altogether!

BBC must have a massive archive of footage; let's see a re-run of classic matches on Saturdays and a maybe midweek slot too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, boldforester said:

 

BBC must have a massive archive of footage; let's see a re-run of classic matches on Saturdays and a maybe midweek slot too

Exactly.It's taken  this for them to actually show archive footage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Mexico 1970 World Cup semi final. Apparently known as the Game of the Century. Italy 4-3 West Germany.

Game of the century wasn't televised  - 1968, Owls 5 Man Utd 4 -YTV were busy showing a bore fest Leeds v Liverpool (0-1 if I remember).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.