39 minutes ago, alan p said:

Yes it was Darlingtons. Gunstones was at the bottom of Duke Street I think and Granville Street my sister met her husband there.

Yes, Gunstone's was on the corner of Duke Street - see the Kelly's Directory scan  in post #8 above. Here is a scan of South Street in the 1965 directory. South-Street.jpg

Hello hillsbro, 

Thanks for the info, I was born on South Street and its brought back a lot of memories.

I thought Shaws.Irongongers was above Gunstones on Duke St Oposise was Arbers Bakery shop.We had our Sandwiches and Cake from there at lunch time.

Gunstones had a pork pie factory at the far end of Granville Street

Mr and Mrs Shaw lived in Frogget Village 

Hello Darell the owner of Shaws was Derek Outram when I worked there I was15 at the time,his brother owned Neville Watts next door to Raven just off West Street.

Hi.There Alan Just the same as me ..I started at Waddilove & Co 30 Broad St.when I was 15,SO LONG AGO>1951....Keep Safe.

2 hours ago, DarrellW said:

I thought Shaws.Irongongers was above Gunstones on Duke St Oposise was Arbers Bakery shop...

Directories from the early/mid 1950s show "Alfred Shaw & Sons, builders'  ironmongers" at 26 Duke Street, above Gunstones. They had evidently gone from there by 1958.

Edited by hillsbro

Thanks Darrell you too, and thanks again hillsbro.