Virgin Holidays. Breaking Their Own Rules?

I think you mean advice - and in what way am I being a trouble maker?

I have a contract with a company (and insurance) and the company defaults on that contract but continues in business - why should I not pursue that company?

If I did what you suggested, then it would only encourage that company to flaunt the law again and again.

If I use the insurance, I will be out of pocket - and the company will have my money. I think it would be stupid to let them get away with it.

I would suggest that people shouldn't trust Virgin Holidays based on my experience (and the experience of many others at this point in time).

To be fair I’ve never heard anything positive or good about Virgin airlines.

so basically it’s risky buying anything from them.

7 hours ago, West 77 said:

If you genuinely have insurance, then use that to reimburse yourself. Stop being a troublemaker is my only advise to you.

Why should he? Why waste a penny on the excess if they do not need to. Buying ANYTHING on credit card is exactly for situations like this. Credit cards offer you protection,  so you use it. It is not hard at all to understand. You only claim on the insurance if no other avenue exists which is clearly not the case here. 

Suddenly to good old family holiday on the East coast seems appealing eh?

9 hours ago, MillerMike said:

To be fair I’ve never heard anything positive or good about Virgin airlines.

so basically it’s risky buying anything from them.

Why Stop at Virgin Airlines . Virgin is all about self promotion of Richard Branson . Stick Virgin on the name and it becomes a byword for failure . Remember Virgin Records , Cola ,Diy , money,all gone & his rail franchise if iffy

20 hours ago, West 77 said:

If you took out travel insurance before the Government advised people not to travel to USA then the insurance company is responsible for the refund. Martin Lewis advised people to take out travel insurance on booked holidays several weeks ago rather than wait to nearer the time of their holiday for the very reason what has now happened.

I don't see why the insurance company should pay for this, quite apart from anything it'll just make the cost of insurance unbelievably expensive. In fact it could put a load of insurance companies out of business, plus claiming would be a PITA.

As a general principle a lot of companies try to get out of their responsibilities by saying "claim it on your travel insurance" and it's not on. The fact is Virgin cannot deliver what they were contracted to do, why should the insurance company pay for that ? There is an argument the Govt should compensate the airlines, but that's  a separate issue altogether.

6 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Because the corona virus is not the fault of Virgin Holidays.  At a time when people are worried about losing their jobs I think it's petty complaining about the excess on an insurance policy.  Most of us are going to lose out because of the corona virus and we shouldn't be unfairly criticising companies that are struggling to survive and keep people in jobs.

Travel insurance is taken out to cover incidents of this nature.  

The fact is Virgin Holidays cannot deliver the contracted service, they cannot shuffle off their responsibility, and walk off with the money, just by saying claim it on your travel insurance. The latter is for if a supplier goes bust or similar.

Virgin are out of order here, definitely.

Tui are offering refunds - why not Virgin?

Update: Virgin are now saying they are offering refunds... will only believe it when it hits my bank account, but at least they are saying the right things.

Shows that the travel insurance route WAS NOT the way to go.

Edited by Litotes

BBC's Travel Show this morning was interviewing Simon Calder, the Independent's travel correspondent & the 'Go to guy' whenever the media want answers on travel matters.

He was specifically asked about airline companies cancelling flights under any circumstances, including the current COVID-19 problems and his response was, and paraphrasing here;

When you buy a ticket, you enter into a contractual agreement with the airline to provide that flight.  In the event that flight doesn't take place, including the current situation, you do not have to accept any vouchers for a future flight, any fobbing off by the airline or any alternative flight date.  You are entitled to a FULL refund. 

There.  Think we have a definitive answer from a bloke who knows the travel industry inside & out. 

Edited by Baron99

My holiday to Thailand was cancelled on the 17th March by TUI, I was due to travel on the 25th March, and despite them saying they will proactively contact me regarding refunds or to amend my holiday they still haven't.  Anybody else having problems getting refunds or amended holidays??  Trying to contact them is almost impossible.

On 04/04/2020 at 13:03, Le Baron said:

My holiday to Thailand was cancelled on the 17th March by TUI, I was due to travel on the 25th March, and despite them saying they will proactively contact me regarding refunds or to amend my holiday they still haven't.  Anybody else having problems getting refunds or amended holidays??  Trying to contact them is almost impossible.

Yes thousands of people.

See Martin Lewis, money saving expert site for latest advice  

As for Virgin, the absolute cheek of Branson to request a government bailout whilst he's lived on tax free Necker Island is absolutely contemptible.  Branson may not be financially bankrupt yet but he has been morally bankrupt for years.

Edited by Lex Luthor