Mothers Day, Sunday.

We'll be visiting my mother-in-law this Sunday.

We'll drop what few groceries she requested - and that we could get - and other nonsenses into her kitchen, and then stand outside talking to her through the french window.

She's 93 (or 94 - not too sure), can't walk, has no strength, and in constant pain.

She wants to die. She prays for it all day, every day.

She's too old, worn out. She's had enough.

We'll have to stand away from her for fear of spreading this damn virus.

How ironic.

Edited by RiffRaff

I like to think you will reassure her, tell her how proud you are of her, and grateful for all the sacrifices she made for you, stay as long as feasibly possible and ensure that her near neighbours don't forget her.   The Sheffield people who are now in their nineties went through enough suffering in 1939-45 and the deprivations that followed without this catastrophic freak of nature. Our thoughts should be with them all and I hope many more will do as you are doing. Good health and stay safe!

5 hours ago, DavidFrance said:

I like to think you will reassure her, tell her how proud you are of her, and grateful for all the sacrifices she made for you, stay as long as feasibly possible and ensure that her near neighbours don't forget her.   The Sheffield people who are now in their nineties went through enough suffering in 1939-45 and the deprivations that followed without this catastrophic freak of nature. Our thoughts should be with them all and I hope many more will do as you are doing. Good health and stay safe!

Lovely post.

I so wish my lovely Mum was still with us - cherish her and tell her how much you love her. That is the best gift you can give her.

Best wishes to you all.

I can only agree with the above. A 90+ neighbour has been housebound for years and says she has had enough. Her 70+ son and daughter in law are her sole carers  and visit several times a week and are continuing to do so despite being in the group advised to self isolate as they feel they have no choice 

how about a happy mothers day column for those unable to visit and say hello in person

Happy Mothers day to all mums.

Today I normally go out to the cinema and then for a nice meal with both my daughters and my grandaughters.

Today thats impossible I know they have something planned but what I dont know its so sad though that we cant spend the full day together as normal.

Im lucky i see my daughters through the week obviously not both at the same time but Mothers day has always been special us 3 mums spending it together with grandaughters.I hope other mums still get to see their family today 

Being the original poster, I have to admit that I've changed my mind in the last few days - I would rather not go and visit my mother-in-law today.

Matters have worsened since Wednesday, and we're forced to do a bit more shopping before visiting later, as a good 50% of items on our Sainsburys order was missing. (You've run out of baked beans? You've no tomato soup? No substitute brands? Really?!)

My wife will still visit. She doesn't drive, which means I'll be the taxi.

Why?

Because the old dear is housebound, out of food, out of milk - she'll be out of everything.

The real reason, of course, is that this will be, in all likelyhood, her last mothering Sunday.

It's caused rows in our house - I think it's stupid, but then it's not my mum...

I think there are quite a few people in this position, people in their 90's relying on people in their 70's, and many in the 70's group with health problems of their own.

I don't know what the answer is, just that we all need to know that we are loved, now more than ever.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

I think there are quite a few people in this position, people in their 90's relying on people in their 70's, and many in the 70's group with health problems of their own.

I don't know what the answer is, just that we all need to know that we are loved, now more than ever.

Well, I dropped my better half off at her mother's this afternoon. We had a considerable row about her going beforehand, but came to the agreement that I would help her in with the groceries, but then go and wait in the car.

Faced with being imprisoned for the next few days/weeks, I thought of a few jobs that I could do at home, so nipped to B&Q - prior to DIY places being shut down? - to pick up one or two bits.

It was packed.

Just goes to show that some people are incredibly stupid.

It will be closed soon but too late for many.

Edited by Daven

20 hours ago, Daven said:

Just goes to show that some people are incredibly stupid.

It will be closed soon but too late for many.

Should b and q close? If something in the house breaks, is important and fixable with the right part, what do we do?

Didn't see my mum yesterday. I'm not feeling great and now neither is she 

9 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Should b and q close? If something in the house breaks, is important and fixable with the right part, what do we do?

Didn't see my mum yesterday. I'm not feeling great and now neither is she 

It's a good question.

Having seen the car park on Queens Road yesterday, I concluded that even if each vehicle had the driver only,  it meant a lot of folk were wandering around B&Q...and I wasn't going to be one of 'em!

I don't visit B&Q that regularly, but have been enough times to be able to state that "I've seen the car park with significantly fewer vehicles".

Nor does it mean that every vehicle's occupants were actually inside the shop...but on a Sunday afternoon, given the present circumstances, where else would they have been?!

Like you say, should large DIY stores close? Garden centres too, maybe?