Sheffield Football Memories

That day for West Ham, Noel Dwyer was stand in goalkeeper for Scotland international Laurie Leslie. Owls scorers were Fantham 2, Finney, 2  Wilkinson, Craig , Ellis.   The result  as SP says knocked West Ham off top spot into third while the Owls moved up to second behind Spurs. Good times.

Hi there and thanks for the info about the Owls v West Ham

Long time ago and the memory fades

9 hours ago, ALAN 58 said:

That day for West Ham, Noel Dwyer was stand in goalkeeper for Scotland international Laurie Leslie. Owls scorers were Fantham 2, Finney, 2  Wilkinson, Craig , Ellis.   The result  as SP says knocked West Ham off top spot into third while the Owls moved up to second behind Spurs. Good times.

The entire forward line scored that day then, no need for 'Swanny' coming up for corners.

1 hour ago, St Petre said:

The entire forward line scored that day then, no need for 'Swanny' coming up for corners.

Correct  SP, certainly don't happen these days. Swanny  never got a goal for us, but stopped his share. 

On 18/03/2020 at 14:27, Padders said:

I think every Owl of our age will never forget that night, I certainly won't..

I don't think the match was fixed as such, but the Man City lads didn't want the Owls to go down, always an attractive match for City and I think they enjoyed coming to Hillsboro, but in all my years of watching football I have never seen a team not try like City , the penalty they missed, what a joke, a simple tap to the goalie (grummit ?)

Think that's the reason it will never be forgotten.

Same scenes at Roker Park the same night,Liverpool did every thing for us except score .They eventually got fed up and Chris Lawler scored for them

On 18/03/2020 at 12:47, Hotmale 1954 said:

Just for Padders, I've dragged this up from the archives to give him a chuckle.

Mel Gibson, Cindy Crawford and Quasimodo are sitting in a room bored out of their brains. Mel Gibson says "I must be the best looking bloke in the world", Cindy crawford says "And I must be the best looking woman in the world" and Quassie says "And I muft be the uggriest man in the wurl.... sniff!"

All of a sudden,, there's a puff of smoke and a Genie appears. The Genie beckons Mel in to another room, there's a whoop of joy and Gibson comes rushing out shouting and yelling "It's confirmed. I AM the best looking man in the world!" The Genie beckons Cindy in to the room and she comes out whooping and yelling... "It's confirmed, I AM the best looking woman in the world!".... The Genie calls Quassie in and soon he comes out looking like he's been sentenced to death. "What's up" asks Mel... "what's the problem?"

Quassie raises his head, tears rolling down his face, and with a trembling voice said "Who the f**k's Chris Wilder????

Howdy Hots, hope your well pal..

Is'nt it boring no football, anyway I know you like a smile, so here is my answer to your post...

I was having a beer last night in the garden at 7-59pm, singing a little song to myself..

If you all hate Wednesday clap your hands.

And the all bloody street joined in. :hihi:

Take care Hots, keep well.

On 18/03/2020 at 14:27, Padders said:

Man City lads didn't want the Owls to go down, always an attractive match for City and I think they enjoyed coming to Hillsboro,

In those days the gate money was split and so City would have picked up a nice amount. It wouldn't have cost that much to get over the Pennines so many would have made the trip.

1 minute ago, Hopman said:

In those days the gate money was split and so City would have picked up a nice amount. It wouldn't have cost that much to get over the Pennines so many would have made the trip.

Correct Hopman..

Wonder who would have been relegated had Wednesday stayed up, guessing at some unfashionable team many miles away.

Anybody know.

Bottom three at the end of the season:

Crystal Palace 27 points

Sunderland   26

Wednesday  25

Another difference in those days was that Goal Average was used rather than goal difference. Goal average means the number of goals scored divided by the number of goals conceded. The end of season goal averages were

Crystal Palace  For 34 against 68  GA 0.500

Sunderland   30    68     0.441

Wednesday (actual)  40   71  0.563

Had Wednesday won the last game 1-0 then their GA would have been 0.5797 - still better than Palace.

Crystal Palace was a much longer trip from Maine Road.

15 minutes ago, Hopman said:

Bottom three at the end of the season:

Crystal Palace 27 points

Sunderland   26

Wednesday  25

Another difference in those days was that Goal Average was used rather than goal difference. Goal average means the number of goals scored divided by the number of goals conceded. The end of season goal averages were

Crystal Palace  For 34 against 68  GA 0.500

Sunderland   30    68     0.441

Wednesday (actual)  40   71  0.563

Had Wednesday won the last game 1-0 then their GA would have been 0.5797 - still better than Palace.

Crystal Palace was a much longer trip from Maine Road.

Thanks Hopman, no wonder they wanted Wednesday to win.

Come on you Blades & Owls, some more memories please !

How about these 2 choices

26 Feb 1968 and the debut of a certain Mr T Currie who scored

You couldn't have predicted how the future for that lad would unfold !

2 May 1981 Thanksgivensday !  Not much to say really, never felt as bad after a game !

On 27/03/2020 at 10:30, Padders said:

Howdy Hots, hope your well pal..

Is'nt it boring no football, anyway I know you like a smile, so here is my answer to your post...

I was having a beer last night in the garden at 7-59pm, singing a little song to myself..

If you all hate Wednesday clap your hands.

And the all bloody street joined in. :hihi:

Take care Hots, keep well.

I used to live on a crap Street like that, but I moved.

Bliss! :hihi: