Sheffield Football Memories

3 hours ago, Vasquez Rich said:

I used to go to town on Saturdays with a mate and we'd often go to watch the reserves as you got in for nowt with a season ticket... I remember a lot of those guys, few of whom ever made the first team..

Tom McAlister

Steve Goulding

Alan Ogden

Mick Heaton

Ian McKenzie ? (Ian?)

Steve Faulkner

Ian Holmes

Steve Ludlam

Steve Cammack

David Staniforth

Richard

Didn't most of them apart from Ogden and Ludlam ? McAlister was a regular first teamer.

Im sure the old grey matter is playing tricks though.

I never seemed to have a favourite part of the ground, although I probably   watched most of my football on the kop and John Street terrace

4 hours ago, Vasquez Rich said:

and...

Woody scoring direct from a corner at Filbert St, no fluke cos he then did it again against Coventry at S2, then again with a crazy low corner at the kop end when Dave Powell let it run through his legs at the near post!

Trying to count how many times Stewart Scullion hit the crossbar.

Seeing Trevor Hockey get sent off for Birmingham at S6 (my Dad sometimes got given tickets by his work mates... honest!) and me and dad agreeing that Hockey was the dirtiest player we had ever seen...   then being dumbfounded when we signed him the year or so later!

Being at Huddersfield with the away fans chanting "Hutt, Hutt you dirty old Sl*t" (it rhymes)... to the Huddersfield chopper fullback Geoff Hutt.

Michael Tonges wonderful 2 goal 2 footed performance against Liverpool.

Billy Sharps complete hatrick against QPR at S2, left foot, right foot, header. 

Richard

Woody also scored direct from a corner against Newcastle in the league cup. Night match in front of the kop. Remember the Leicester one but can't remember the Coventry goal.

I went to St Andrews after Brum had gone up and Hockey had signed for us. He scored and then conducted their kop in singing " Hockey is a weir wolf". To be fair the Brum fans loved him. It was their first game after promotion. Don't have characters like Hockey in the game these days

17 minutes ago, Ridgewalk said:

Didn't most of them apart from Ogden and Ludlam ? McAlister was a regular first teamer.

Im sure the old grey matter is playing tricks though.

I never seemed to have a favourite part of the ground, although I probably   watched most of my football on the kop and John Street terrace

McAlister, yes, until Rodney Marsh broke his leg for him!! Never forget that. I used to go home and tell my Dad that he was better than Hope. The rest I think had the odd game, Heaton for Badger a few times, Cammack a few but never really made it, same for Staniforth. The one that I have just remembered that did make it into the first team for a few years was Mick Speight.

I almost always sat with my parents on the John St side through that period, later on the South Stand, then the kop when I got older.

Richard

28 minutes ago, Ridgewalk said:

I was OT for that match and Leeds home, although I always thought it was 3-0 ?  Everton in the Cup, I believe Addison and Reece scored our goals. Everton were top of the league at the time. Seem to remember we played Pompey three times one season and it was something like, 5-0, 1-5, 5-0. The Blades winning two of those and the following season it was 5-1 again. I'm probably wrong though.

For all that the Currie era games were great we did have some heavy reverses including 5-0 at OT, at which I was present.

Thing I do remember unfortunately was all the crowd trouble. Seems unbelievable looking back

I was at OT also, with my parents. I have a scrap book from that promotion season, I will have to look up the Leeds game, we did for Southampton 3-0 or 3-1 the week before or after. I remember we kept scoring goals from corners through Colquhoun and Flynn.

The 505150 was 3 consecutive weeks I think, and we lost them all.

Richard

14 Aug 1971  Sheffield United v Southampton      W3-1League Division One

17 Aug 1971  Sheffield United v Leeds United       W3-0League Division One

21 Aug 1971  Everton v Sheffield United                   W0-1League Division One

24 Aug 1971  Arsenal v Sheffield United                    W0-1League Division One

28 Aug 1971  Sheffield United v West Brom Alb   D0-0League Division One

31 Aug 1971  Sheffield United v Hudd Town            W3-1League Division One

04 Sep 1971  Nottingham For v Sheffield United   W2-3League Division One

07 Sep 1971  Sheffield United v Fulham                      W3-0League Cup

11 Sep 1971  Sheffield United v Tottenham Hot     D2-2League Division One

18 Sep 1971  Leicester City v Sheffield United        W0-1League Division One

25 Sep 1971  Sheffield United v Chelsea                     W1-0League Division One

02 Oct 1971  Manchester Utd v Sheffield United   L2-0League Division One

That was that run of games, yes Leeds 3-0... 

Richard

Thought I would mention this match, one hell of an embarassment !!

15 Dec 1956 v Rotherham at the Lane

They thumped us 2-7, couldn't believe it !! 

18 Feb 1959  FA cup replay

Blades v Arsenal at the Lane

Stood behind the Spion Kop goal

Foggy, WOW ! you couldn't see what was happening at the Bramall Lane end of the pitch, the roar of the crowd was the only indication of how United were playing

Won 3-0 in front of 47000

Kelsey the Arsenal goalie injured his arm, played out on the wing for the rest of the game

How football has changed

Such foggy conditions today would have meant abandonment of the match

No substitutes in 1959

3 hours ago, Vasquez Rich said:

14 Aug 1971  Sheffield United v Southampton      W3-1League Division One

17 Aug 1971  Sheffield United v Leeds United       W3-0League Division One

21 Aug 1971  Everton v Sheffield United                   W0-1League Division One

24 Aug 1971  Arsenal v Sheffield United                    W0-1League Division One

28 Aug 1971  Sheffield United v West Brom Alb   D0-0League Division One

31 Aug 1971  Sheffield United v Hudd Town            W3-1League Division One

04 Sep 1971  Nottingham For v Sheffield United   W2-3League Division One

07 Sep 1971  Sheffield United v Fulham                      W3-0League Cup

11 Sep 1971  Sheffield United v Tottenham Hot     D2-2League Division One

18 Sep 1971  Leicester City v Sheffield United        W0-1League Division One

25 Sep 1971  Sheffield United v Chelsea                     W1-0League Division One

02 Oct 1971  Manchester Utd v Sheffield United   L2-0League Division One

That was that run of games, yes Leeds 3-0... 

Richard

Hi Richard

That Leeds game, what a match !

Talk about stuffing a team, they never had a look in

6 minutes ago, Runningman said:

Thought I would mention this match, one hell of an embarassment !!

15 Dec 1956 v Rotherham at the Lane

They thumped us 2-7, couldn't believe it !! 

Yes, I was at that match to,

Ted Burgin had just put his hat and gloves in the corner of the goal , when rovverham scored.

Only ever missed the start of a match once whilst watching the Blades for 65 years

6th January 1962, supporters train special to Bury for an FA cup game

The train got as far as the Totley Tunnel and stopped

Must have waited for an hour or more

When we had eventually pulled into Bury station, there were hundreds of Blades supporters running through the street to get to the ground

Think we got into the ground just before half time

We were able to walk round the ground to the side the Blades were attacking in the 2nd half and if memory serves me right we stood on a slope of compacted ash, no steps !

Hey up Wednesdayites !

Went to Hillsborough early 60's I think

You stuffed West Ham about 6-0, Bobby Moore and all

I was stood behind the goal on the Leppings Lane end, seemed that every time Wednesday attacked they scored

Was you at that match ?

1 minute ago, Runningman said:

Hey up Wednesdayites !

Went to Hillsborough early 60's I think

You stuffed West Ham about 6-0, Bobby Moore and all

I was stood behind the goal on the Leppings Lane end, seemed that every time Wednesday attacked they scored

Was you at that match ?

I believe that game was in 1960 and the North stand was under construction at the time so only three sides of the ground open. I was at the game and not sure if Moore played that day or even Hurst and Peters if that's what the 'and all' is alluding to. The Hammers were top of Div .One at 3 o'clock (perhaps for the first ever time) but not at 5 o'clock.

First derby I saw was 1966 at Hillsborough, United raced into a 2 goal read, scorers Birchenall and Jones, although I'm not sure. Owls fought back to 2-2, great atmosphere with fans all mixed and sat together, much better.

3 hours ago, St Petre said:

I believe that game was in 1960 and the North stand was under construction at the time so only three sides of the ground open. I was at the game and not sure if Moore played that day or even Hurst and Peters if that's what the 'and all' is alluding to. The Hammers were top of Div .One at 3 o'clock (perhaps for the first ever time) but not at 5 o'clock.

1959,it was 7-0,before Moore & co, Noel Cantwell & Ken Brown were the CBs,John Bond was a FB