Sheffield Football Memories

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Your probably right Alan, that would make my daughter 18, sure she wasn't that old.. must be the old memory playing tricks.

Sure it was your daughter you took Pads🤔?, better claim amnesia if the missus finds out!🤣🤣🤣

6 minutes ago, pintor said:

Sure it was your daughter you took Pads🤔?, better claim amnesia if the missus finds out!🤣🤣🤣

Certainly got me puzzled, Iv'e only got one brain cell left, and its working overtime..

Remembering 2 memorable Blades v Newcastle games which I attended

1st Jan 1955, at 8 years old, not been watching the Blades long

Stood at the front of the Spion Kop with Dad

Blades 4  up after only 8 minutes, eventually won 6-2

4th of March 1961  6th round FA cup at Newcastle

3 up after 18 mins, all goals scored by Billy Russell

United played in white shorts and tangerine shirts

1 minute ago, Runningman said:

I was at that match Runningman, I'm now searching for the programme, Iv'e got it somewhere.

I've got an old black & white photo knocking about somewhere. 

It's one of those formal squad photos with players sitting & standing in 3 rows.  It must have been one of the first 'photo shopped' photos because when you look at it, every player has jimmy Hagan's face. 

27 minutes ago, Runningman said:

Remembering 2 memorable Blades v Newcastle games which I attended

1st Jan 1955, at 8 years old, not been watching the Blades long

Stood at the front of the Spion Kop with Dad

Blades 4  up after only 8 minutes, eventually won 6-2

Hi Runningman , i can remember the score  going up  on the  leppings lane scoreboard when Billy Russell got the hattrick, and all the talk about the blades playing in Blackpool colours.. Y ou really jogged my memory there.

and...

Woody scoring direct from a corner at Filbert St, no fluke cos he then did it again against Coventry at S2, then again with a crazy low corner at the kop end when Dave Powell let it run through his legs at the near post!

Trying to count how many times Stewart Scullion hit the crossbar.

Seeing Trevor Hockey get sent off for Birmingham at S6 (my Dad sometimes got given tickets by his work mates... honest!) and me and dad agreeing that Hockey was the dirtiest player we had ever seen...   then being dumbfounded when we signed him the year or so later!

Being at Huddersfield with the away fans chanting "Hutt, Hutt you dirty old Sl*t" (it rhymes)... to the Huddersfield chopper fullback Geoff Hutt.

Michael Tonges wonderful 2 goal 2 footed performance against Liverpool.

Billy Sharps complete hatrick against QPR at S2, left foot, right foot, header. 

Richard

You lot have got me going now, just rummaging through my vast collection of football programmes , here is one..

30th April 1958.

Sheffield Wednesday v Sheffield Utd.

County Cup Final.

Springett

Staniforth                                        Curtis

Mcanearney                 Swan                                  O'donnell

Wilkinson     Quixall      Shiner      Fantham             Finney.

Thompson.

Shaw G                           Coldwell

Summers                       Shaw J                Richardson

Hodgson     Hoyland         Pace                  Russell            Ringstead.

I used to go to town on Saturdays with a mate and we'd often go to watch the reserves as you got in for nowt with a season ticket... I remember a lot of those guys, few of whom ever made the first team..

Tom McAlister

Steve Goulding

Alan Ogden

Mick Heaton

Ian McKenzie ? (Ian?)

Steve Faulkner

Ian Holmes

Steve Ludlam

Steve Cammack

David Staniforth

Richard

Here's a cracker from the archives..

Inter cities fairs cup, Quarter Final,

Sheffield Wednesday v BARCELONA.

Springett,

Johnson,

Megson,

Hardy,

Swan,

Kay,

Craig,

Fantham,

Finney,

Ellis,

Dobson.

28th February 1962.

1 hour ago, Padders said:

You lot have got me going now, just rummaging through my vast collection of football programmes , here is one..

30th April 1958.

Sheffield Wednesday v Sheffield Utd.

County Cup Final.

Springett

Staniforth                                        Curtis

Mcanearney                 Swan                                  O'donnell

Wilkinson     Quixall      Shiner      Fantham             Finney.

Thompson.

Shaw G                           Coldwell

Summers                       Shaw J                Richardson

Hodgson     Hoyland         Pace                  Russell            Ringstead.

Ron Springett signed in March  1958 ,  my first game was  7 th April and  i am certain Mike Pinner played in goal losing 2-1 against Burnley . so it would have been  one of Ron,s first games versus the blades.

5 hours ago, Vasquez Rich said:

TC sitting on the ball on the centre spot vs Arsenal.

Woodys 4 against Ipswich

That run unbeaten in the old Div1 after promotion, doing for Leeds 3-1 at S2, beating Arsenal away, then falling foul of THAT GOAL by Best at Old Trafford!

Beating Everton 2-1 in the cup when in Div2.

Seeing Dave McKay get sent off at S2 (oh how we laughed).

Larry Lloyd dropping his shorts to the Kop as we beat Crewe 1-0 (Morris to Edwards tap in) in Div 4.

Woody running the length of the pitch flashing double V signs to the home crowd as we won at Leicester (I think.. fuzzy on this one).

What's John Hope's new phone number? 505150 (after 3 bad losses on the trot).

Emlyn Hughes giggling on A Question of Sport, and constantly referring to Tony Currie as "Teec" when Currie was a guest.

The Stretford End chanting "Hockey is a Werewolf!"

Richard

I was OT for that match and Leeds home, although I always thought it was 3-0 ?  Everton in the Cup, I believe Addison and Reece scored our goals. Everton were top of the league at the time. Seem to remember we played Pompey three times one season and it was something like, 5-0, 1-5, 5-0. The Blades winning two of those and the following season it was 5-1 again. I'm probably wrong though.

For all that the Currie era games were great we did have some heavy reverses including 5-0 at OT, at which I was present.

Thing I do remember unfortunately was all the crowd trouble. Seems unbelievable looking back