Sheffield Football Memories

15 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

I was never much of a football fans when I was very young and only took an interest at about 11-12 years of age, at that time Jack Charlton’s SWFC were promoted form the old D3 to D2 and the Star gave away a complimentary poster showing the whole squad (1979 I’m guessing), I then started following the results and later attending matches particularly during Howard Wilkinsons reign, some great times followed with the peak years from ’90-93 unfortunately things have taken a major downturn since 2000 with more highs than lows but that’s what support is all about and I have some lasting memories.

Aye, too true.

I started going to Wednesday games around 1971-2 so experienced the struggling teams and the dodgy pitches, mostly.

The Wilkinson reign,followed by Francis and Atkinson were, as you say, the PEAK years....and great times in the Top Division(First Division it used to be called). All downhill since then.....and still NO light at the end of the tunnel! Ni'mind, eh?

Keep those memories coming red or blue we all have a football story to tell.  Best game, best/favourite player who has played for you , best player you have seen, biggest crowd you been in, first derby game you saw. Get those memories out here and let us all enjoy the moment. I could  fill the hard drive if i got going.

My first game I went to sticks in my mind. Parents couldn't afford to take us but this once my mum took me and my younger brother. Was an evening game against Barnsley, 98 I believe, Di canio scoring both. Also remember the kop being packed(don't see that so much now😔)

My eldest daughter is 50 in August (showing my age) . 

Can't remember the date, but she would be about 15 yrs old and a big Lee Chapman fan, anyway she found out it was his birthday and sent him a birthday card.. lo and behold he sent her a signed photo and a thank you letter. I also became a big Lee Chapman fan after that..  at about that time Wednesday got a famous draw at Everton in the FA cup, so I took my daughter to the replay at Hillsboro.... anticipation, excitement, where going to stuff the toffees...

Big crowd, huge atmosphere, expectation high,   KICKED OFF.

Half time  OWLS. 0     EVERTON  4.

At least they held them in the second half, final score 4-0.

Rude awakening for my daughter, I think she fell out with football after that.

1 hour ago, Padders said:

My eldest daughter is 50 in August (showing my age) . 

Can't remember the date, but she would be about 15 yrs old and a big Lee Chapman fan, anyway she found out it was his birthday and sent him a birthday card.. lo and behold he sent her a signed photo and a thank you letter. I also became a big Lee Chapman fan after that..  at about that time Wednesday got a famous draw at Everton in the FA cup, so I took my daughter to the replay at Hillsboro.... anticipation, excitement, where going to stuff the toffees...

Big crowd, huge atmosphere, expectation high,   KICKED OFF.

Half time  OWLS. 0     EVERTON  4.

At least they held them in the second half, final score 4-0.

Rude awakening for my daughter, I think she fell out with football after that.

I think the game you are thinking of is  in 1988 drew 1-1 at Goodison Park and lost the replay 0-5  someone called Lineker scored four, still don,t like him. 

5 minutes ago, ALAN 58 said:

I think the game you are thinking of is  in 1988 drew 1-1 at Goodison Park and lost the replay 0-5  someone called Lineker scored four, still don,t like him. 

Your probably right Alan, that would make my daughter 18, sure she wasn't that old.. must be the old memory playing tricks.

6 minutes ago, Padders said:

Your probably right Alan, that would make my daughter 18, sure she wasn't that old.. must be the old memory playing tricks.

Just done some research..

Jan 9th 1988  1-1 at Hillsboro.

Jan 13th 1988  1-1 at goodison.

Jan 25th 1988 1-1 at goodison again:huh:.

Jan 27th 1988 0-5 at Hillsboro.

1 minute ago, Padders said:

Just done some research..

Jan 9th 1988  1-1 at Hillsboro.

Jan 13th 1988  1-1 at goodison.

Jan 25th 1988 1-1 at goodison again:huh:.

Jan 27th 1988 0-5 at Hillsboro.

I looked at that myself Padders , only time i remember playing more that twice in a cuptie is against the Arsenal

Football memories from a none football fan.

no apologies, despite only living within 200yds of Bramall lane (the old Randall St terrace houses before they were pulled down)

i've only ever been to 4 football matches. me and my brother were taken to a S/U V Newcastle match where there were either no or very few away fans there to the extent that a crowed of S/U fans would run up to the top of the Shoreham St Cop and sing that they were Newcastle, we thought it was funny. that must have been around 1966? I did go to see S/U play Leicester away only because a lass in our class's father was a director of S/U  I think (?) either way we got free coach travel down there. I have no idea of the score but that was probably 1967 ?

One of my class mates Dad ran the Railway pub and before they built the (1st of) New Stands if you stood on top of the Pubs coal bunker you could see into the ground. Unless my memory is playing tricks on me (which it could be) i'm reasonably sure we watched George Best from that vantage point. I'm sure one of you experts out there can pinpoint a year. It must have been before they built the (1st) new stand, I'm guessing around 68?

As mentioned Cross country running was my main thing but that was soon overtaken when I found the delight's of Motorcycling. Blast's to the coast come a weekend were preferable to watching people chase a football about.

I waited quite a while before my next venture to a football stadium but in 1981 the chance to see Glasgow Rangers play (Anglo Scottish Cup) at chesterfield I was off. They lost to Chesterfield but the night it self was one to remember. Rain was coming down sideways, it was blowing a gale and it was probably the first time I really appreciated Bovril.

Everybody was getting searched at the gates and anybody with bottles of Whisky (including myself) were passing bottles over the wall. when you got in you got a bottle of Whisky it might not be your bottle of Whisky you came with but you got a bottle of Whisky.

one of the many funny comments I can remember was from someone behind me shouting (after about the 2nd Chesterfield goal to go in) "Is that right Rangers - yer changing yer name to the Sheena Eastern 11" & something about there being no F in Rubbish?

The pubs at Woodseats were full and the Whisky drinking continued.

well that's about all of my Football memories. the rest of the time I've spent in the Garage.

TC sitting on the ball on the centre spot vs Arsenal.

Woodys 4 against Ipswich

That run unbeaten in the old Div1 after promotion, doing for Leeds 3-1 at S2, beating Arsenal away, then falling foul of THAT GOAL by Best at Old Trafford!

Beating Everton 2-1 in the cup when in Div2.

Seeing Dave McKay get sent off at S2 (oh how we laughed).

Larry Lloyd dropping his shorts to the Kop as we beat Crewe 1-0 (Morris to Edwards tap in) in Div 4.

Woody running the length of the pitch flashing double V signs to the home crowd as we won at Leicester (I think.. fuzzy on this one).

What's John Hope's new phone number? 505150 (after 3 bad losses on the trot).

Emlyn Hughes giggling on A Question of Sport, and constantly referring to Tony Currie as "Teec" when Currie was a guest.

The Stretford End chanting "Hockey is a Werewolf!"

Richard

Edited by Vasquez Rich

2 minutes ago, Vasquez Rich said:

Woodys 4 against Ipswich

That run unbeaten in the old Div1 after promotion, doing for Leeds 3-1 at S2, beating Arsenal away, then falling foul of THAT GOAL by Best at Old Trafford!

Larry Lloyd dropping his shorts to the Kop as we beat Crewe 1-0 (Morris to Edwards tap in) in Div 4.

Woody running the length of the pitch flashing double V signs to the home crowd as we won at Leicester (I think.. fuzzy on this one).

Emlyn Hughes giggling on A Question of Sport, and constantly referring to Tony Currie as "Teec" when Currie was a guest.

Richard

:hihi::hihi::hihi:.

Enjoyed that VR.

6 minutes ago, Vasquez Rich said:

Woodys 4 against Ipswich

Richard

I can relate to a few of them good times.