Sheffield Football Memories

With the Mods approval of course and seeing how DEAD this section will be for a long time, could we have your memories whatever they may be re the Blades and Owls

I will start by going back to my childhood when we had an elderly gent living in the same yard who was a Unitedite

He didn't attend games anymore and loved me to talk to him about the Blades

I was fascinated by his tales relating to Fatty Foulke, the Blades cup exploits, Fred Tunstall, the 1915, 1925 and 1936 cup finals, loads of other tales also

Come on everybody lets hear some of your memories

mine was 1959/60 the year SWFC came 2nd to Tottenham ,my first game 5 years old ,on the wall,at the old shed end,but many great good/memorys from the sixtys

the 90s ,and both clubs have many good/bad years,i loved 1991 ,when we stuffed man utd against all odds,only 1-0 but a wins a win,sad days now at hillsbrough,but we have had it worse,remember going down on that rain lashed night against man -city,2-0 up against everton,this will offer enjoyable memorys and bad ones as well,but thanks for at least something to talk about,bet theres lots more want to share there memorys,thanks for the chance.

I was never much of a football fans when I was very young and only took an interest at about 11-12 years of age, at that time Jack Charlton’s SWFC were promoted form the old D3 to D2 and the Star gave away a complimentary poster showing the whole squad (1979 I’m guessing), I then started following the results and later attending matches particularly during Howard Wilkinsons reign, some great times followed with the peak years from ’90-93 unfortunately things have taken a major downturn since 2000 with more highs than lows but that’s what support is all about and I have some lasting memories.

Some people think football is a matter of life and death,

I don't like that attitude,

I can assure them it is much more serious than that...

How true was Bill Shankly's words....

Football is an addiction, and I'm suffering withdrawal symptom's, I'm not coping at all, at least during the summer I could get a fix watching other sports.. now there's nothing to watch... seriously, I have never known a life without sport.. I'm even craving for a light entertainment post from Hot Male..when did it start, round about 1959 I think...

Full house Bramall Lane, Blades v Norwich city 6th round cup tie, Blades winning 1-0    15mins  to go and Norwich get an equaliser..

Went to Carrow Rd for the replay, lost 3-2. seem to recollect a guy called Terry Bly scoring for Norwich (did he get a hat trick?).

The crowd all singing their national anthem  On The Ball City..

3rd division Norwich in the semis.

Bad case of cup fever, which I've suffered from ever since.

My first visit to S6 was easter monday 1958  lost 2-1 to Burnley  a few games later we were relegated.  the next year promoted with Fulham , the end of the yoyo years. and from then on things were rosier , A  semi final at Maine Road,  losing 2-1 to Blackbun,  robbed more like,  Runners up to Spurs, beating Man Utd 7-2 at Old Trafford , A great team Springett, Johnson, Megson, MacAnearney, Swan , Kay, Finney , Craig, Layne, Fantham , Wilkinson.  The good times and i used to wait at the shareholders entrance , " Take two in please Mister," Yes the early 60,s  were a good time to be an Owls fan.

Edited by ALAN 58

Just for Padders, I've dragged this up from the archives to give him a chuckle.

Mel Gibson, Cindy Crawford and Quasimodo are sitting in a room bored out of their brains. Mel Gibson says "I must be the best looking bloke in the world", Cindy crawford says "And I must be the best looking woman in the world" and Quassie says "And I muft be the uggriest man in the wurl.... sniff!"

All of a sudden,, there's a puff of smoke and a Genie appears. The Genie beckons Mel in to another room, there's a whoop of joy and Gibson comes rushing out shouting and yelling "It's confirmed. I AM the best looking man in the world!" The Genie beckons Cindy in to the room and she comes out whooping and yelling... "It's confirmed, I AM the best looking woman in the world!".... The Genie calls Quassie in and soon he comes out looking like he's been sentenced to death. "What's up" asks Mel... "what's the problem?"

Quassie raises his head, tears rolling down his face, and with a trembling voice said "Who the f**k's Chris Wilder????

I'd love to post some better football memories, but to be honest, I have difficulty remembering anything these days.

1979, obvs, 1991 obvs, 1993 obvs.

The pain and the joy of 1966. Many, many great away days. I knew they were great days, but I just can't remember why they were great. Beer and laughs, obviously. It hardly changed things when we lost. We got over it very quickly and just had a laugh.

21st April 1991 was probably the best footballing day / weekend, I ever had.  

Edited by Hotmale 1954

2 hours ago, bassett one said:

mine was 1959/60 the year SWFC came 2nd to Tottenham ,my first game 5 years old ,on the wall,at the old shed end,but many great good/memorys from the sixtys

the 90s ,and both clubs have many good/bad years,i loved 1991 ,when we stuffed man utd against all odds,only 1-0 but a wins a win,sad days now at hillsbrough,but we have had it worse,remember going down on that rain lashed night against man -city,2-0 up against everton,this will offer enjoyable memorys and bad ones as well,but thanks for at least something to talk about,bet theres lots more want to share there memorys,thanks for the chance.

Hi basset one

Went to that game against Tottenham, stood on the Leppings Lane, felt like a sardine in a tin

If you remember there was around 60000 in the ground and no stand on the north side prior to the building of the new stand

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Some people think football is a matter of life and death,

I don't like that attitude,

I can assure them it is much more serious than that...

How true was Bill Shankly's words....

Football is an addiction, and I'm suffering withdrawal symptom's, I'm not coping at all, at least during the summer I could get a fix watching other sports.. now there's nothing to watch... seriously, I have never known a life without sport.. I'm even craving for a light entertainment post from Hot Male..when did it start, round about 1959 I think...

Full house Bramall Lane, Blades v Norwich city 6th round cup tie, Blades winning 1-0    15mins  to go and Norwich get an equaliser..

Went to Carrow Rd for the replay, lost 3-2. seem to recollect a guy called Terry Bly scoring for Norwich (did he get a hat trick?).

The crowd all singing their national anthem  On The Ball City..

3rd division Norwich in the semis.

Bad case of cup fever, which I've suffered from ever since.

Hi Padders, yes was at the Norwich game stood behind the Spion Kop goal

Billy Russell scored first for the Blades

Never forget the Norwich supporters all waving their colours when they equalised and of course ' On the ball city '

40 minutes ago, ALAN 58 said:

My first visit to S6 was easter monday 1958  lost 2-1 to Burnley  a few games later we were relegated.  the next year promoted with Fulham , the end of the yoyo years. and from then on things were rosier , A  semi final at Maine Road,  losing 2-1 to Blackbun,  robbed more like,  Runners up to Spurs, beating Man Utd 7-2 at Old Trafford , A great team Springett, Johnson, Megson, MacAnearney, Swan , Kay, Finney , Craig, Layne, Fantham , Wilkinson.  The good times and i used to wait at the shareholders entrance , " Take two in please Mister," Yes the early 60,s  were a good time to be an Owls fan.

Hi Alan, remember the Blackburn game only because my dear late Dad who was seriously ill was sat with us in the Infirmary listening to the radio

Was it Dougan who scored that disputed goal ?

Started going to reserve matches at Bramall Lane with my Dad when I was around  7 years old

Used to get bored  at half time

On one Saturday I went round picking up fag ends, opened them up and made a pile of baccy on the steps !

17 minutes ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

Just for Padders, I've dragged this up from the archives to give him a chuckle.

Mel Gibson, Cindy Crawford and Quasimodo are sitting in a room bored out of their brains. Mel Gibson says "I must be the best looking bloke in the world", Cindy crawford says "And I must be the best looking woman in the world" and Quassie says "And I muft be the uggriest man in the wurl.... sniff!"

All of a sudden,, there's a puff of smoke and a Genie appears. The Genie beckons Mel in to another room, there's a whoop of joy and Gibson comes rushing out shouting and yelling "It's confirmed. I AM the best looking man in the world!" The Genie beckons Cindy in to the room and she comes out whooping and yelling... "It's confirmed, I AM the best looking woman in the world!".... The Genie calls Quassie in and soon he comes out looking like he's been sentenced to death. "What's up" asks Mel... "what's the problem?"

Quassie raises his head, tears rolling down his face, and with a trembling voice said "Who the f**k's Chris Wilder????

I'd love to post some better football memories, but to be honest, I have difficulty remembering anything these days.

1979, obvs, 1991 obvs, 1993 obvs.

The pain and the joy of 1966. Many, many great away days. I knew they were great days, but I just can't remember why they were great. Beer and laughs, obviously. It hardly changed things when we lost. We got over it very quickly and just had a laugh.

21st April 1991 was probably the best footballing day / weekend, I ever had.  

Cheers Hots, knew you wouldn't disappoint.

56 minutes ago, ALAN 58 said:

Alan, I think that Keith Ellis should be in that forward line as David Layne didn't join the Owls until 1962.

3 hours ago, bassett one said:

,remember going down on that rain lashed night against man -city

I think every Owl of our age will never forget that night, I certainly won't..

I don't think the match was fixed as such, but the Man City lads didn't want the Owls to go down, always an attractive match for City and I think they enjoyed coming to Hillsboro, but in all my years of watching football I have never seen a team not try like City , the penalty they missed, what a joke, a simple tap to the goalie (grummit ?)

Think that's the reason it will never be forgotten.

Just for you Runningman.   

1 hour ago, St Petre said:

Alan, I think that Keith Ellis should be in that forward line as David Layne didn't join the Owls until 1962.

I wasn,t refering to the team that played Man U  .Kieth  Ellis hatrick, Finney 2 and Fantham 2 that night as you know.