Supermarket/food Deliveries

I have started booking a grocery order online with Iceland during the Coronavirus. I have had two orders up to now without any trouble. When the virus is over  I will stay with Iceland. However when I tried to book this week it was impossible to get a delivery slot. Every booking slot said “ Not Available”. I eventually got one after staying on the site all day. My friend went on their site very early this morning 5am and got a delivery slot straight away. Also a friend of mine who has an order delivered from Tesco’s had to stay on their site until 2am before she got a delivery slot. So does it help at what time one goes on their site ?  Should I go on in the middle of the night ?
Is there anyone on SF who is an expert on ordering a food delivery online ? Can you help me by giving me any tips ? 

I use Iceland quite a lot and I've just found it pot luck. At times nearly any day and time, others, not a chance for a week. I did buy another cheap under counter freezer a couple of years ago, it's been a bit of a life saver with the limited deliveries.

I don't know if there's a system but like you, I'd be interested to know what it is. Your friend is very dedicated! No way would I stay up until 2am to book a delivery. Mind you, they may not have a choice. I have a car so not 100% limited to deliveries.

EDIT: A side note about Iceland deliveries in hot weather. Check your frozen items, I had a few last year that were fully thawed when delivered. They will refund but that isn't much good if you need the food!

Edited by zach

7 minutes ago, zach said:

I use Iceland quite a lot and I've just found it pot luck. At times nearly any day and time, others, not a chance for a week. I did buy another cheap under counter freezer a couple of years ago, it's been a bit of a life saver with the limited deliveries.

I don't know if there's a system but like you, I'd be interested to know what it is. Your friend is very dedicated! No way would I stay up until 2am to book a delivery. Mind you, they may not have a choice. I have a car so not 100% limited to deliveries.

EDIT: A side note about Iceland deliveries in hot weather. Check your frozen items, I had a few last year that were fully thawed when delivered. They will refund but that isn't much good if you need the food!

Thank you for your help. I’ve had no trouble with frozen items but have ordered some this week so will check them when the order comes tomorrow.

1 hour ago, pattricia said:

Anyone else with any tips ?

Yes, unless someone has already mentioned it, what about using this

https://shoppingslot.co.uk

Edited by Janus
Link

9 minutes ago, Janus said:

Yes, unless someone has already mentioned it, what about using this

https://shoppingslot.co.uk

Do you use them Janus  ? What are they like .?

No Pattricia, but only because I eventually found I could manage to get what I wanted, if I chose to shop in person an hour or two before closing. 

There is only me, so not shopping for large quantities. Few bits from Aldi,  and few  from Tesco. Easily sorted now that their shelves are 90% back to pre panic levels.

Edited by Janus

This is a bigger problem than I realised especially for older people. What about older people with no children or relatives ? It really is a nightmare isn’t it ?

3 hours ago, Janus said:

No Pattricia, but only because I eventually found I could manage to get what I wanted, if I chose to shop in person an hour or two before closing. 

There is only me, so not shopping for large quantities. Few bits from Aldi,  and few  from Tesco. Easily sorted now that their shelves are 90% back to pre panic levels.

I read that you have to stand so many metres apart outside the shop , and wait for the person before you to come out. . Doesn’t that take a long time ?

2 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Try just after midnight.

Is that easier to get an order at that time ? Will have to take my iPad to bed with me.!

59 minutes ago, pattricia said:

I read that you have to stand so many metres apart outside the shop , and wait for the person before you to come out. . Doesn’t that take a long time ?

What you have read is correct, but as I go an hour or two before closing I invariably go straight in. 

Regarding the elderly who struggle to get out, and with no offspring  or family it must be terrible. I don't know how they are coping. The situation must be quite traumatic for some of them. I hope they are asking for outside help.

Edited by Janus

Being in my mid-70s, independent and unfortunately not having any direct family of my own I can share my own experience and feelings about food deliveries in these current times.  Not long ago I had a serious case of pneumonia and am pre-diabetic too but was not informed directly that I was vulnerable to the new virus (although I knew I was).

I normally look forward to shopping and am organised so usually do a monthly visit.

I was concerned about the possibility of contracting the virus so tried to book a home delivery. It was impossible so I resorted to visiting Tesco. Social distancing was in place but I still felt the risk I was taking for  one or two hours.

Supermarket delivery vans are a common sight where I live in a relatively affluent village (both Tesco closely followed by Morrison's almost ran me over today which would have added insult to injury!) and I am surmising that many young families and others who might not have any vulnerability issues are using them. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but I think something more efficient to help the elderly and vunerable could have been arranged in the past few weeks.

Other goodwill assistance has been offered informally in our community for which I'm entirely grateful but this can never be a replacement for official emergency provision in my opinion and is often patchy, limited, unaccountable and lacking proper resources.

I have just tried https://shoppingslot.co.uk and it appears very useful except there was no slot to be had at any supermarket so it's off to Tesco again next week! Quite an exciting prospect given my propensity to walk down aisles in the wrong direction!

Edited by johnlittle
correction of text

Sheffield Community Helpline-0114 2734567 or WRVS 08081963646 for volunteers who will do your shopping. WRVS on radio today saying they have lots of volunteers with nothing to do