Supermarket/food Deliveries

1 hour ago, andyofborg said:

Before this, supermarket home deliveries amounted to something like 7% of the market and the infrastructure matches this. Growing the infratstructure rapidly to meet current demand isn't going to be easy or quick. 

Hence the need to prioritise as necessary to ensure that the elderly CAN get home deliveries, if that means cancelling other long term customers, then what is what has to be done.

People, including authorities are saying the elderly can just ring this number, or that number, and, typically, the calls are not picked up, or they involve a phone queue impassible maze.

It's disgraceful that we are telling elderly people to not go out and then not supplying them with food.

I heard on the news that food parcels were being sent out to old people in need. How do you apply for these. (Not for me incidently, asking for someone else.) 

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

I heard on the news that food parcels were being sent out to old people in need. How do you apply for these. (Not for me incidently, asking for someone else.) 

https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable

Age alone is not being "accepted" - you have to also suffer from one of the afflications which you'll come across as you complete the online form.

Good luck.

I wish I knew how this supermarket delivery works. I have heard of a youngish regular customer now being blocked because she's too young for delivery but on the other hand I keep hearing the over 70s can't get a slot.

I haven't been out for two weeks now, my partner is 83 and cant be left alone and I'm a few years younger. I'm itching to get out there and do the shop but I thought I'd play safe and try and order on line for the first time.

I had a 30 minute queue wait but finally  got on, never once was I asked my age , only when I ordered the booze was I asked if I was over 18.

Well  I did it and there is a three week wait but we don't mind that as we don't  eat much but it's just nice to know something is on its way.

The other thing is now they are not supplying plastic bags everything comes loose in their trays and they have to pass you everything,  tin for tin, bottle for bottle, surely this can't  be right when we are supposed to keep 2 metres apart.

Being a novice at this game can anyone enlighten  me?

2 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

I wish I knew how this supermarket delivery works. I have heard of a youngish regular customer now being blocked because she's too young for delivery but on the other hand I keep hearing the over 70s can't get a slot.

I haven't been out for two weeks now, my partner is 83 and cant be left alone and I'm a few years younger. I'm itching to get out there and do the shop but I thought I'd play safe and try and order on line for the first time.

I had a 30 minute queue wait but finally  got on, never once was I asked my age , only when I ordered the booze was I asked if I was over 18.

Well  I did it and there is a three week wait but we don't mind that as we don't  eat much but it's just nice to know something is on its way.

The other thing is now they are not supplying plastic bags everything comes loose in their trays and they have to pass you everything,  tin for tin, bottle for bottle, surely this can't  be right when we are supposed to keep 2 metres apart.

Being a novice at this game can anyone enlighten  me?

Tesco have reverted back to bags. They'll drop all the bags at your front door then leg it.

Iceland are restricting their deliveries to over 70s, they are offering slots within the next few days.   

Morrisons  are offering food boxes, I think there was something about them on the BBC news pages earlier today. 

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

Tesco have reverted back to bags. They'll drop all the bags at your front door then leg it.

Ha, they'll  not wait to be tipped then?

1 hour ago, SkyeEdge said:

Iceland are restricting their deliveries to over 70s, they are offering slots within the next few days.   

Morrisons  are offering food boxes, I think there was something about them on the BBC news pages earlier today. 

I'm  not asking for owt for nowt, I just wondered how the system works.

I suppose I'll  get into it and may never want to shop again.

My dad's been emailed  by Asda to say he's 'missed his delivery slot' but that's not until Thursday.  So how can he have missed it?  Emailed them back and tried to phone but no response. Anybody got any ideas what might have gone wrong and how to deal with it?

My son who has been delivering basics has been taken I’ll so I’m trying the advice of early hours attempt to get a delivery slot. No success so dilemma of shielding as vulnerable or dashing out to local shop

56 minutes ago, catmiss said:

My son who has been delivering basics has been taken I’ll so I’m trying the advice of early hours attempt to get a delivery slot. No success so dilemma of shielding as vulnerable or dashing out to local shop

Try your local co-op. Friend of mine was the only one in yesterday evening. Avoid the big stores if you can.

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

My dad's been emailed  by Asda to say he's 'missed his delivery slot' but that's not until Thursday.  So how can he have missed it?  Emailed them back and tried to phone but no response. Anybody got any ideas what might have gone wrong and how to deal with it?

Did he remember to check out, in order to reserve the slot?  Could he have made amendments and then forgotten to check out?

As a previous member said, Morrisons are doing meat-eater or veggie pre-picked boxes for £35.  Reviews online have been pretty favourable.  This could be quicker than trying to get a delivery slot if he's desperate.

Edited by Lex Luthor

Thanks Lex. No he didn't forget to check out. Might be a computer glitch, so he's waiting for Thursday to see if anything turns up. The Morrisons pre packed box sounds like a good idea. I'll look into that if we need to. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again.