Supermarket/food Deliveries

I don’t think the government thought this through when they advised avoiding public places (as are supermarkets) resulting in people who would normally shop in store opting for home delivery and advising those self isolating to use home delivery if they have no support. Thankfully my son is willing to venture in store as I, currently following advice to self isolate as I have chronic lung disease, can’t get my normal home delivery 

Can't get your normal home delivery?

You mean there is overwhelming demand and you can't get a slot?

Morrisons are creating 3,500 new jobs to expand its home delivery service. 

They're recruiting 2,500 pickers & drivers, plus another 1,000 staff for their distribution centres. 

6 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Aren't they going to be short on vehicles as well?

They could rent extra vehicles.

Just now, Chez2 said:

They could rent extra vehicles.

But their vehicles have very specific racking to fit their trays and are fridge vans. Yes you can get fridge vans in (and there won't be many if those around) but its not going to be very efficient.

Just now, tinfoilhat said:

But their vehicles have very specific racking to fit their trays and are fridge vans. Yes you can get fridge vans in (and there won't be many if those around) but its not going to be very efficient.

They are not the only company refrigerated doing delivery. I cant say how the vans vary but  I know someone who used to work for a company who do subcontract work, refrigerated delivery on behalf of the big supermarkets, M&S etc. One such company is cool cube logistics. 

boris has not got a clue,possibly never shopped in his life,theres no slots for deliverys under 12-21  days,no help for those who pay rent,only those with there own houses

no help for airline staffs wages,what a mess ,he has looked after the ones who have most ,as normal in my opinion.

9 hours ago, Albert the Cat said:

Can't get your normal home delivery?

You mean there is overwhelming demand and you can't get a slot?

Tesco in my area no slots available up to 14 April.

You can elect to do an online shop and pick it up. You could send a friend or a taxi to do this for you if you are self-isolating and leave it outside your door.

Saying that, slots are again at least 2 weeks away for click and collect.

Pretty dire planning from the supermarkets, hope they wake up soon.

Just added this from Sainsbury's Director

A number of you suggested that we reserve an hour in stores for elderly and vulnerable customers. In response to this request, we will set aside the first hour in every supermarket this Thursday 19th March, for elderly and vulnerable customers. I hope that you can respect this decision and will work with us as we try our best to help those that need it the most. If you or an elderly family member, friend or neighbour would like to shop during this hour, please check online for your local supermarket opening hours.

We will also help elderly and vulnerable customers access food online. From Monday 23rd March, our online customers who are over 70 years of age or have a disability will have priority access to online delivery slots. We will contact these customers in the coming days with more details.

For any online customer who can travel to our stores, from Monday 23rd March, we will operate an expanded 'click and collect' service. We are significantly increasing the number of collection sites across the country over the coming days in preparation for this. Customers can place their order online as usual and pick it up from a collection point in the store car park. We believe this will also work for people who are self-isolating.

As we work to feed the nation, we are also focusing all of our efforts on getting as much food and other essential items from our suppliers, into our warehouses and onto shelves as we possibly can. We still have enough food for everyone - if we all just buy what we need for us and our families.

To help us get more essential items onto the shelves, from this Thursday 19th March, we will be closing our cafes and our meat, fish and pizza counters in supermarkets. This means we can free up warehouse and lorry capacity for products that customers really need. It will also free up time for our store colleagues to focus on keeping the shelves as well stocked as possible.

Edited by Green Slime
Sainsbury's message added

4 hours ago, bassett one said:

boris has not got a clue,possibly never shopped in his life,theres no slots for deliverys under 12-21  days,no help for those who pay rent,only those with there own houses

no help for airline staffs wages,what a mess ,he has looked after the ones who have most ,as normal in my opinion.

Not a great fan of Boris or the Tories to be honest, but how would you handle this major crisis? All you pub politicians and key board warriors wouldn't have a clue either, this is a unique world catastrophe, Boris Johnson is just "the driver" not the navigator, mechanic and support team on this Rally. Everyday there are new challenges, l for one wouldn't like to be in his position. If people have better strategies then perhaps "they should step up to the plate" and run for prime minister, then hopefully run the country!

1 hour ago, Green Slime said:

You can elect to do an online shop and pick it up. You could send a friend or a taxi to do this for you if you are self-isolating and leave it outside your door.

Saying that, slots are again at least 2 weeks away for click and collect.

Pretty dire planning from the supermarkets, hope they wake up soon.

Just added this from Sainsbury's Director

A number of you suggested that we reserve an hour in stores for elderly and vulnerable customers. In response to this request, we will set aside the first hour in every supermarket this Thursday 19th March, for elderly and vulnerable customers. I hope that you can respect this decision and will work with us as we try our best to help those that need it the most. If you or an elderly family member, friend or neighbour would like to shop during this hour, please check online for your local supermarket opening hours.

We will also help elderly and vulnerable customers access food online. From Monday 23rd March, our online customers who are over 70 years of age or have a disability will have priority access to online delivery slots. We will contact these customers in the coming days with more details.

For any online customer who can travel to our stores, from Monday 23rd March, we will operate an expanded 'click and collect' service. We are significantly increasing the number of collection sites across the country over the coming days in preparation for this. Customers can place their order online as usual and pick it up from a collection point in the store car park. We believe this will also work for people who are self-isolating.

As we work to feed the nation, we are also focusing all of our efforts on getting as much food and other essential items from our suppliers, into our warehouses and onto shelves as we possibly can. We still have enough food for everyone - if we all just buy what we need for us and our families.

To help us get more essential items onto the shelves, from this Thursday 19th March, we will be closing our cafes and our meat, fish and pizza counters in supermarkets. This means we can free up warehouse and lorry capacity for products that customers really need. It will also free up time for our store colleagues to focus on keeping the shelves as well stocked as possible.

How could they ever plan for something like this?  Do you just expect them to magic stock, staff and resources out of thin air?  

Edited by Agent Orange