Covid19 - Sheffield Help Thread. Read First Post Before Commenting Please.

My brother suffers from depression & anxiety and we usually go fishing or just to a nice tranquil area to cloud watch and chill.

At the moment his anxiety levels are soaring and he needs to get out  

Does anyone know if the government have made  allowances  for people like my brother?

Can he drive somewhere and me follow in my car then chill out somewhere quiet but 2 metres apart? 

I think where others are exercising then people with mental health issues should be allowed an hour a day to go somewhere quiet to ease their mind. 

I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is that travelling non-locally for exercise etc is not forbidden by the newly-issued regulations (which have legal force), but is forbidden by the government's published guidelines (which don't have legal force, but which the police are likely to misinterpret as having legal force).  See  this article.

23 hours ago, Jason302 said:

My brother suffers from depression & anxiety and we usually go fishing or just to a nice tranquil area to cloud watch and chill.

At the moment his anxiety levels are soaring and he needs to get out  

Does anyone know if the government have made  allowances  for people like my brother?

The law: 

A reasonable excuse includes the need- 

to provide care or assistance, including relevant personal care within the meaning of paragraph 7(3B) of Schedule 4 to the Safeguarding of Vulnerable Groups Act 2006(1), to a vulnerable person, or to provide emergency assistance .

To take exercise either alone or with other members of their household.

(from here)

The advice: 

When am I allowed to leave the house?
One form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household.
Any medical need, including to donate blood, avoid or escape risk of injury or harm, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.

(from here)

My opinion: If he has been professionally diagnosed, I would consider this routine as a form of therapy and would argue it as a medical need. I would also class it as "providing care". The police may or may not agree with that, but my opinion is that of someone who also has a family member with mental health issues and I understand the importance of such things. Reading through both the legislation and advice, it does seem that the issue of mental health has been overlooked.

On 03/04/2020 at 22:02, Jason302 said:

Can he drive somewhere and me follow in my car then chill out somewhere quiet but 2 metres apart? 

I think where others are exercising then people with mental health issues should be allowed an hour a day to go somewhere quiet to ease their mind. 

The law appears to allow for "gatherings" of only two people, so (in my opinion) you should legally be okay with your brother.

From here: Restrictions on gatherings-  During the emergency period, no person may participate in a gathering in a public place of more than two people except...

Again, the police may or may not agree with this. 

I would still keep to the 2 metre (or more) distance though.

22 hours ago, dave_the_m said:

I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is that travelling non-locally for exercise etc is not forbidden by the newly-issued regulations (which have legal force), but is forbidden by the government's published guidelines (which don't have legal force, but which the police are likely to misinterpret as having legal force).  See  this article.

You are correct, there is no law restricting you from travelling non-locally for exercise. 

The Government even acknowledges that, while they advise against it, you can go to places like public and national parks and other green spaces to exercise.

"Can I go to the park?
You can still go to the park for outdoor exercise once a day but only alone or with members of your household, not in groups.

Communal places within parks such as sports courts, playgrounds and outdoor gyms have been closed to protect everyone’s health.

We ask that households use parks responsibly and keep 2 metres apart from others at all times.

Unless you are with members of your household, gatherings of more than two people in parks and other public spaces have been banned. The police have the powers to disperse gatherings and issue fines if necessary.

Can I drive to a national park or other green space to walk?
We advise you to stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible – do not travel unnecessarily.

You can still go to the park for outdoor exercise once a day but only by yourself or within your household, not in groups.

We ask you to keep 2 metres apart from others outside your household at all times when outdoors."

From here

I think it's also worth noting that there's no legal restriction, no law against, how long or how often you go out to exercise per day. The advice (not law) is one hour, once a day.

I go out for as long as I see fit. I sometimes do it more than once a day.

You are correct that the police may misinterpret the law, they do it often enough with long-standing laws, but armed with the relevant legislation pages saved to my phone, I personally would not worry about it.

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 12:06, sheffbag said:

Sheff council car parks are now free from today . Hopefully the hospitals will follow suit to help the staff having to go there

As the busses appear to be on Sunday service and it is possible to use car parks for free when going to work. Does anyone know if side roads with permit schemes (that run Monday to Friday) are still operating that scheme?

..  as the car parking there is like a weekend all week long at the moment and there does not appear to be any parking wardens so far.

Just an appreciation of the police who were present on Penistone Rd earlier,and asking drivers if they were observing the current advice on travel

All perfectly civil.

I hope that they can get the message through to the apparent problem areas in Sheffield

We are now offering an online service for those who wish to place orders online and avoid any cash payments. FREE delivery throughout Sheffield on orders over £10

Please visit www.expressproduce.co.uk and order before 6pm to receive your order delivered to your door the very next day!

Quoted from their FB page ^

Edited by Groose

On 04/04/2020 at 23:12, RootsBooster said:

You are correct that the police may misinterpret the law, they do it often enough with long-standing laws, but armed with the relevant legislation pages saved to my phone, I personally would not worry about it.

Case in point... 

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/coronavirus-police-apologise-after-man-arrested-for-running-errands-11972031

Edited by RootsBooster

10 hours ago, steve68 said:

The story says that the guy, still received  a fixed penalty

That's my point entirely

For anyone needing help with home schooling, the BBC Bitesize website is a fantastic resource.

www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize

Also, they have now started daily lessons with a host of well known personalities, from David Attenborough to Sergio Aguero!

www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/dailylessons

Edited by Lex Luthor

The National Space Centre is broadcasting it's first ever planetarium show on YouTube for families from 6pm this evening.