Instore Shopping/Supermarkets During Coronavirus

42 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

The small corner shops seem to have everything,  give them the custom.

My local chemist has all the toiletries  including toilet rolls.

After trawling through most of the city centre for the basics, finally got the last loaf at a local shop. 

Went into Sainsbury's on The Moor this afternoon & despite the fact that they were limiting the purchases, not a slice of bread, bun or bap to be had.  Add to this that they also appeared to be running out of tins, (soup, chilli, etc), & rice, plus, apart from a bit of salad stuff, all the loose veg had gone. 

The store reminded me of something you once saw in the old USSR, loads of people walking about, looking at empty shelves. 

Walked over to the Market, the bakery there only had 1 loaf, Pumpernickel.  No thanks...but then if things carry on as they are, I might be tempted? 

55 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

The small corner shops seem to have everything,  give them the custom.

My local chemist has all the toiletries  including toilet rolls.

As long as they don't add massive margins on the product. 

Seems to be happening in some boroughs.

1 hour ago, taxman said:

A hundred yards down the road Beeches were stocked with everything, including toilet roll at 4 for 79p.

Well they won’t be now!

Aldi handsworth on saturday well down because of panic buying during the previous week,  I havnt shopped since but will going friday but on reading previous post, I just cant believe the panic buying is still superseeding stores deliveries, the amount those lorries bring on each delivery surely must exhaust the volume of  panic buyers.  Otherwise there has got be other reasons why the shelves are bear. :suspect:

Frankly all this panic buying makes my blood boil.  😡

Don't these Neanderthals realise that if everyone shops as normal, there will be plentiful supplies for everyone.  It's just so selfish to stack their trollies with products that they don't really need right now.  It will serve them right if some of the stuff they buy rots on their shelves at home and they have to throw it away.  Obviously things like pasta and toilet rolls won't degrade over time, but fresh food will.

The media have a lot to answer for too, enegendering panic.  Hopefully those with a little more coomon sense will refrain from the over the top behaviour and carry on as normally as possible. 

1 minute ago, PRESLEY said:

Aldi handsworth on saturday well down because of panic buying during the previous week,  I havnt shopped since but will going friday but on reading previous post, I just cant believe the panic buying is still superseeding stores deliveries, the amount those lorries bring on each delivery surely must exhaust the volume of  panic buyers.  Otherwise there has got be other reasons why the shelves are bear. :suspect:

Mother went to the big Tesco in chesterfield mid morning and many of the shelves were empty. They opened at 6, with full shelves presumably.

Just now, Buble Fan said:

Frankly all this panic buying makes my blood boil.  😡

Don't these Neanderthals realise that if everyone shops as normal, there will be plentiful supplies for everyone.  It's just so selfish to stack their trollies with products that they don't really need right now.  It will serve them right if some of the stuff they buy rots on their shelves at home and they have to throw it away.  Obviously things like pasta and toilet rolls won't degrade over time, but fresh food will.

The media have a lot to answer for too, enegendering panic.  Hopefully those with a little more coomon sense will refrain from the over the top behaviour and carry on as normally as possible. 

We are all, deep down, subconsciously stock piling. A couple of extra tins of dog food, maybe pack of paracetamol (good luck with the last one!) - Just little extras here and there. We’ve seen countries are our doorstep go on lockdown, something that could go on for weeks. Old people being told to self isolate for 14 weeks. It’s not surprising people are buying, or trying to, buy a bit more - they’re worried.

Yes, those buying bundles and bundles of bog rolls need a slap but a lot of the tinned stuff doesn’t surprise me, and there’s not normally a huge amount on the shelves anyway. An extra tin here and there, for those who are now working from home maybe. 

1 minute ago, tinfoilhat said:

We are all, deep down, subconsciously stock piling. A couple of extra tins of dog food, maybe pack of paracetamol (good luck with the last one!) - Just little extras here and there. We’ve seen countries are our doorstep go on lockdown, something that could go on for weeks. Old people being told to self isolate for 14 weeks. It’s not surprising people are buying, or trying to, buy a bit more - they’re worried.

Yes, those buying bundles and bundles of bog rolls need a slap but a lot of the tinned stuff doesn’t surprise me, and there’s not normally a huge amount on the shelves anyway. An extra tin here and there, for those who are now working from home maybe. 

Good post TFH, its more or less what iv'e been saying..

To my way of thinking its a natural instinct to stock up, very worrying times ahead.

On the beeb news the other week a journalist went to a toilet roll manufactures, the gaffer said no need to panic we are turning out ex amount and have an over whelming abundance in stock .  There is no food shortages in  main superstores warehouses,  so why are shelves bare.  :huh:

People are buying more than the trucks can bring in, they just don't have the capacity to restock fast enough with the rate people are buying stuff.

When demand subsides the shelves will replenish, so people need to stop panic buying and the shops will have time to refill their stocks.

Tesco have put a very strong and in my opinion,  sensible message out.

It's on their FB page and other social media.

Looks like they have accepted things are not normal and not going to be that way in the near future.

No more multi buys, 3 items per customer, reduced trading hours, closure of some areas of the store (deli, fresh), elderly to be given better access, use card payments where you can and some other pointers.

Summary- work together and we will all be ok.

7 minutes ago, geared said:

People are buying more than the trucks can bring in, they just don't have the capacity to restock fast enough with the rate people are buying stuff.

When demand subsides the shelves will replenish, so people need to stop panic buying and the shops will have time to refill their stocks.

Completly agree.  :thumbsup: