Jump to content

Panic Buying/Shopping/Supermarkets During Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

The One Show yesterday had a brief on toilet roll manufacturer's and the message is clearly... DON'T PANIC.

 

We have tonnes of this stuff in these two factories which were highlighted- every brand and non brand that gets produced.

 

http://punjabpaper.com/

 

This was one company 

Edited by Mr Fisk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So many folks (not me or mine) go out to eat ,you know all the places that serve food  ie Harvester or what ever...from breakfast to late dinner,they are probably amongst the people who don't eat/cook at home so are panicking to buy food cos they'll need a **** at home when all restaurants close,hence toilet roll shortage,going on from that they can't cook properly so there'll be more food poisoning and then more ****ting and so on and so on.(nuff sedX)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mr Fisk said:

The One Show yesterday had a brief on toilet roll manufacturer's and the message is clearly... DON'T PANIC.

 

We have tonnes of this stuff in these two factories which were highlighted- every brand and non brand that gets produced.

 

http://punjabpaper.com/

 

This was one company 

I don't think supply can beat demand though.  An entire aisle can be stripped in 20 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

I don't think supply can beat demand though.  An entire aisle can be stripped in 20 minutes.

True, but at least its comforting to know this country isn't going to be without the stuff- albeit as you say, Supermarket aisles are being stripped.

 

The problem is many cannot replenish stocks fast enough. It's the same with other items. I was in Sainsburys Hillsborough yesterday and picked up 1 pack of loo roll- it was not on shelf but in front of store with a small display.

 

Think that was so staff can monitor who is picking up more than recommended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Called to Asda at Handsworth , Check out lady informed me that last  Saturday  one customer bought as many toilet rolls as he could  and then proceeded to sell them on in the car park as there were none left in the store.  M.y thought was why let people buy that many.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just been reading that there's a possibility that the UK sewage system could be in danger as people are using alternatives to toilet tissue.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, misspedantic said:

Called to Asda at Handsworth , Check out lady informed me that last  Saturday  one customer bought as many toilet rolls as he could  and then proceeded to sell them on in the car park as there were none left in the store.  M.y thought was why let people buy that many.

Aldi have been restricting people to four of any one item, not sure why the others haven't followed suit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

Aldi have been restricting people to four of any one item, not sure why the others haven't followed suit.

I think this is happening more now as retailers have seen the level of buying reach a stage where they are struggling to keep up.

The Asda store in Huddersfield had an announcer stating the number of toilet rolls, long life milk and some other items could be purchased at a max 2 per customer.

 

The best thing is if you are struggling, try a smaller retailer locally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The toilet roll thing is madness.

I work in a wholesalers, on Monday we got 26 pallets of toilet rolls delivered, and by lunchtime today we had sold out, even with buying limits in place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always thought that people that panic-buy are hysterical fools. They are also very selfish, because people who don't drive or who are cash-poor/ elderly/disabled etc are unable to buy and carry large amounts in one go.  So, when I last did my main shop a couple of weeks ago, I just bought what I normally buy. Now though, I'm running out of everything and when I tried to do another shop yesterday, the supermarket shelves and freezers were stripped bare in Morrison's, Lidl and Iceland.  There was a reasonable amount of fresh meat, fish, fruit & veg and bread, but absolutely no rice or pasta, very little tinned stuff (apart from things that no-one ever buys,  like artichoke hearts) and absolutely no bleach, loo rolls, kitchen towels, washing up liquid, disinfectant, liquid-soap or bar-soap.

 

I still disagree with panic-buying, but I'm not sure how I'm going to stock up on just the normal essentials now!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

I have always thought that people that panic-buy are hysterical fools. They are also very selfish, because people who don't drive or who are cash-poor/ elderly/disabled etc are unable to buy and carry large amounts in one go.  So, when I last did my main shop a couple of weeks ago, I just bought what I normally buy. Now though, I'm running out of everything and when I tried to do another shop yesterday, the supermarket shelves and freezers were stripped bare in Morrison's, Lidl and Iceland.  There was a reasonable amount of fresh meat, fish, fruit & veg and bread, but absolutely no rice or pasta, very little tinned stuff (apart from things that no-one ever buys,  like artichoke hearts) and absolutely no bleach, loo rolls, kitchen towels, washing up liquid, disinfectant, liquid-soap or bar-soap.

 

I still disagree with panic-buying, but I'm not sure how I'm going to stock up on just the normal essentials now!!

I have 3 conditions that put me in the vulnerable category and another one that prevents me from driving so I shop using just a rucksack, my routine has always been  to shop daily two or three times, which I fit around work.

Rather fortunately  I live near the shops and have always kept on top of having the basics in the house, I feel for those less active, able or can't afford to do this, one of my older contacts/friends has had some issues, so I've shared with them a few essentials, hopefully those that have panic bought will also be looking out for the less well off and not be selfish and hoard just for the sake of themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

I have always thought that people that panic-buy are hysterical fools

I still can't understand why you and others make those kind of comments, It's quite natural for people with large families to prepare for emergencies, also they maybe shopping for elderly neighbours, who dare not venture out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.