Instore Shopping/Supermarkets During Coronavirus

1 minute ago, Longcol said:

People who haven't got a car are going to be shopping more frequently and might well be unable to get to supermarkets.

That's fine, (although there are ways around it), it's covered by the words "as possible".

7 minutes ago, fools said:

That's fine, (although there are ways around it), it's covered by the words "as possible".

And it may well be possible that some people need to visit a number of small local shops on a more or less daily basis.

You're missing the point, not that it matters.

Just now, fools said:

You're missing the point, not that it matters.

Perhaps you made it rather badly in #291 😎

Perhaps, or perhaps you understood it full well.

I avoid quoting where possible, as it is commonly used by gangs of people to bully people with a different viewpoint, so if you really didn't understand the point, read the rest of the thread to get the context.

Just make your point clearly rather than inviting people to read 25 pages of a thread.

Guest makapaka
3 minutes ago, fools said:

Perhaps, or perhaps you understood it full well.

I avoid quoting where possible, as it is commonly used by gangs of people to bully people with a different viewpoint, so if you really didn't understand the point, read the rest of the thread to get the context.

Don’t row folks - it’s bad but stick together. 

There is no row, it's a discussion. You won't find any personal insults in my posts.

Edited by fools

16 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Just make your point clearly rather than inviting people to read 25 pages of a thread.

It seems pretty clear to me.

For your benefit:

I am not saying people aren't allowed to go to local shops, or people who don't have transport can't go shopping as and when they need to.

I am saying as I did earlier, that there is nothing wrong with filling up your trolley, because it could save lives.

We have been told categorically to stay at home, there is no ambiguity in that message now,

If you have transport, and freezer space, it is highly selfish not to.

The whole thread is based on some arbitrary hoarding nonsense, whipped up by the media.

No definition of panic buying to be seen.

It's a highly unusual situation, for all sorts of reasons, the demand for food is higher than normal, and the supermarkets haven't kept up with demand. They aren't as good at meeting demand as they make out. This was predictable weeks ago, the lack of food on shelves is their fault, not a mass group of hoarders that no one has ever seen in person.

Edited by fools

8 minutes ago, fools said:

It seems pretty clear to me.

For your benefit:

I am not saying people aren't allowed to go to local shops, or people who don't have transport can't go shopping as and when they need to.

I am saying as I did earlier, that there is nothing wrong with filling up your trolley, because it could save lives

The whole thread is based on some arbitrary hoarding nonsense, whipped up by the media.

No definition of panic buying to be seen.

It's a highly unusual situation, for all sorts of reasons, the demand for food is higher than normal, and the supermarkets haven't kept up with demand. They aren't as good at meeting demand as they make out. This was predictable weeks ago, the lack of food on shelves is their fault, not a mass group of hoarders that no one has ever seen in person.

Do you mean all those photos of empty shelves where toilet rolls are usually found - and the photos of people with trolleys full of toilet rolls weren't real?

Edited by Longcol

"It's a highly unusual situation, for all sorts of reasons, the demand for food is higher than normal, and the supermarkets haven't kept up with demand. They aren't as good at meeting demand as they make out. This was predictable weeks ago, the lack of food on shelves is their fault, not a mass group of hoarders that no one has ever seen in person. "

Hmmmm. I think that media panic and selfish greed has caused hoarders to panic buy, mostly at Big supermarkets.

Big Supermarkets, in turn, don't seem to have a clue, in the main, how to contain this and help EVERYONE who shops/wants to shop at their store, get what they need or want.

Doesn't seem to be getting much better on the main stuff - like milk, bread, paracetamol, fresh veg and tinned stuff.

No Food shortage...and nothing wrong with the Food chain supply, presumably.....so, what the HELL is going on??

Can't see how Supermarkets employing thousands more on temporary zero hour contracts is going to do much good, if the Bosses can't work out a few simple ways to make supplies of Bread, Milk, Fresh veg, Kitchen roll, etc, available for all, THROUGHOUT the day!!

It really doesn't take much for a supply of anything to clear out. One extra tin of beans, one extra pack of bog roll x 5000 people, and the shelves are empty. Their advanced ordering systems aren't up to it. That's not quite as sensational as a viral video of someone tugging at a pack of toilet rolls though, so it doesn't make the headlines.

This is not caused by these imaginary greedy people in transit vans full of food, it's caused by people preparing for a longer stay at home, with 2 kids to feed, no school meals, no mcdonalds, no work lunch.

Edited by fools