Instore Shopping/Supermarkets During Coronavirus

Who was asking you?  Someone doing a survey or just some nosey idiot?

1 hour ago, geared said:

Who was asking you?  Someone doing a survey or just some nosey idiot?

Ooops, yes that would be useful lol

It was a security guard. He first stopped us from going in stating the 1 in 1 out rule but I pointed out I have both hands strapped up and my daughter is there to carry the shopping. He eventually let us in, we did the shopping then as we were going back to the car he came up to us and asked what we bought. He then made a big deal about the bottle of alcohol I had sticking out the top of the carrier bag and said it wasnt an essential purchase. I didnt like where it was going so we left. Im not overly fussed about it, im more irked by his tone and i worry that he could intimidate some people for no other reason than him being on a power trip.

36 minutes ago, BobOfRoth said:

It was a security guard. He first stopped us from going in stating the 1 in 1 out rule but I pointed out I have both hands strapped up and my daughter is there to carry the shopping. He eventually let us in, we did the shopping then as we were going back to the car he came up to us and asked what we bought. He then made a big deal about the bottle of alcohol I had sticking out the top of the carrier bag and said it wasnt an essential purchase. I didnt like where it was going so we left. Im not overly fussed about it, im more irked by his tone and i worry that he could intimidate some people for no other reason than him being on a power trip.

I do believe its right that anyone going shopping at the moment should primarily be buying food, but if there are other things available to buy then if people are happy to stay in the shop for longer then I dont see why they shouldn't buy it, just my own personal opinion...I cannot see why shops would have things on sale then be surprised and complain when people buy it.

1 hour ago, Moonbird said:

I do believe its right that anyone going shopping at the moment should primarily be buying food, but if there are other things available to buy then if people are happy to stay in the shop for longer then I dont see why they shouldn't buy it, just my own personal opinion...I cannot see why shops would have things on sale then be surprised and complain when people buy it.

Im pretty much on the same page as you but I did ring the shop for clarification on the rules and the assistant manager was pretty surprised and sounded a little bit annoyed at the security guard. Apparently he was having a bad day and that is something we can all probably relate to lol

I did make it clear i didnt want to make it a complaint as I feel there is no point in getting someone a black mark against their name for simply getting out of the bed the wrong side.

1 hour ago, Moonbird said:

The government specifically deemed off-licences as 'essential' and allowed them to stay open when it implemented the lockdown.

2 hours ago, BobOfRoth said:

You are a patient man bob. It was available to buy so you bought, if they didn't want to sell it, tape off the isle.

He'd have got both barrels from me. Send an email to said supermarket, or even a tweet with some places, times and dates on it and see if he can get some retraining.

I'd tell him to go swivel as well, cheeky begger.  As if he's got any right to be telling people what they should and shouldn't be buying from the shop.

I'd be chatting the the store manager. The Police have been reprimanded for doing this. It's been cleared up, the shop can sell what it sells if it's allowed to open and you are allowed to buy it.

On 08/05/2020 at 14:39, altus said:
On 08/05/2020 at 13:04, Moonbird said:

There’s no generic ‘essential’ purchases. What’s essential for a young family will be completely different for an older single person. We’re not on ration so if shops are selling and an individual wants to buy why shouldn’t they be able to.  Well done Bob for contacting the store, even though you’ve not made a formal complaint I think the guard will have had some ‘staff training’

8 hours ago, catmiss said:

There’s no generic ‘essential’ purchases. What’s essential for a young family will be completely different for an older single person. We’re not on ration so if shops are selling and an individual wants to buy why shouldn’t they be able to.  Well done Bob for contacting the store, even though you’ve not made a formal complaint I think the guard will have had some ‘staff training’

My question are Who are these Guards?

Not mentioning the shop involved but on my last trip out the so called Guard kept disappearing, leaving the queue to regulate themselves as to who went in and out.

While I was actually at the check out (social distancing, mask and gloves on) the same guard excuses himself places some goods he'd rushed into buy for himself behind mine and basically pushed in reducing and Social distancing gap of the person behind me.

Same store - different Guard different day,  the Guard was quite good 1 in 1 out etc and very helpful. Again I'm all gloved and masked up but on my way out this guard was standing in my way. keeping my distance a simple "excuse me" from me had the guy apologise, no big deal but what happened next had me laughing and questioning the actual training or understanding of the present situation they actually have because as I was walking past him the Guy gave me a friendly "sorry mate I didn't hear you" all well and good but followed it up with a pat on my back. I didn't say anything as In normal times no one would think anything un towards and are we not all very hands on type of people usually?

The thing is we are not in 'USUAL TIMES'

Keep Safe & eat well

Anybody know where I can find rocking horse manure aka PLAIN FLOUR !!!

2 hours ago, Tacitus said:

Anybody know where I can find rocking horse manure aka PLAIN FLOUR !!!

Not seen any in a shop, but ordered some plain and some SR flour from Country Fresh Foods last week (cffathome.co.uk I think), minimum delivery is £18, but they sell lots of fruits and vegetables and other staples too.