Instore Shopping/Supermarkets During Coronavirus

7 hours ago, fools said:

It seems pretty clear to me.

For your benefit:

I am not saying people aren't allowed to go to local shops, or people who don't have transport can't go shopping as and when they need to.

I am saying as I did earlier, that there is nothing wrong with filling up your trolley, because it could save lives.

We have been told categorically to stay at home, there is no ambiguity in that message now,

If you have transport, and freezer space, it is highly selfish not to.

The whole thread is based on some arbitrary hoarding nonsense, whipped up by the media.

No definition of panic buying to be seen.

It's a highly unusual situation, for all sorts of reasons, the demand for food is higher than normal, and the supermarkets haven't kept up with demand. They aren't as good at meeting demand as they make out. This was predictable weeks ago, the lack of food on shelves is their fault, not a mass group of hoarders that no one has ever seen in person.

You are missing the point entirely, there has been absolutely no reason to buy anymore than you would on your normal weekly shop, dried pasta has been sold out now for about two weeks, thats not the result of a normal shop.

Just been to Tesco, long queue's outside.. as one person leaves, one person allowed in.

2 assistants outside, with hand sanitizer and paper towels monitoring things, also no trolleys, hand baskets only.

43 minutes ago, Padders said:

Just been to Tesco, long queue's outside.. as one person leaves, one person allowed in.

2 assistants outside, with hand sanitizer and paper towels monitoring things, also no trolleys, hand baskets only.

was that one of the big stores or smaller branches ?

Just now, oldskool said:

was that one of the big stores or smaller branches ?

Moonshine lane.. (Southey Gr.)  assistant told me all the big stores adopting same tactics.

that's good idea i hope all the stores do it have got a online shop coming Thursday that's if it comes, but there are no slots going forward so will have too venture out at some point for basic foods

14 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

I've tended to use local shops for the last two weeks and been able to get 90% of my usual purchases.

Went down Hillsborough High St today again, the butchers had plenty of meat, B&M had plenty of food (even bread ! ), the green grocer had loads in, and Heron foods had both bread and milk ( ! ). I didn't actually buy any of those things because we don't need them at they moment, but the point is made.

11 hours ago, fools said:

It really doesn't take much for a supply of anything to clear out. One extra tin of beans, one extra pack of bog roll x 5000 people, and the shelves are empty. Their advanced ordering systems aren't up to it. That's not quite as sensational as a viral video of someone tugging at a pack of toilet rolls though, so it doesn't make the headlines.

This is not caused by these imaginary greedy people in transit vans full of food, it's caused by people preparing for a longer stay at home, with 2 kids to feed, no school meals, no mcdonalds, no work lunch.

I possibly agree with you. I think some are being greedy, but I suspect the main cause of these shortages is most people are buying "just a bit more than usual". So long as they are doing just that and they do actually eat the food they buy, TBH, I can't say I blame them. The latter does not apply to genuine bulk buyers (or more probably "repeat buyers") stacking their larders at home.

Edited by Justin Smith

22 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

Not long back from Sainsbury's on The Moor.  A pleasure to shop in there today. 

No queueing or being forced to wait outside, (one out, one in), though this might be to do with fewer people out & about. 

The store is all but fully stocked again. 

6 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Not long back from Sainsbury's on The Moor.  A pleasure to shop in there today. 

No queueing or being forced to wait outside, (one out, one in), though this might be to do with fewer people out & about. 

The store is all but fully stocked again. 

Everybody off to Sainsbury's folks, well done Baron

That's another fine mess you've got me into :hihi:.

2 hours ago, Padders said:

Everybody off to Sainsbury's folks, well done Baron

That's another fine mess you've got me into :hihi:.

Other stores are available. 

If you do go down that way, watch out for the police questioning a number of people on The Moor as to why they are out & about? 

Morrisons at Halfway at 1.00 pm.  Deserted.  Most fixtures fully stocked... Apart from toilet rolls and paracetamol!

1 hour ago, steved32 said:

Morrisons at Halfway at 1.00 pm.  Deserted.  Most fixtures fully stocked... Apart from toilet rolls and paracetamol!

Well, if there is any positive from this, when the next wave arrives, producers and manufacturers know what sells now.