Instore Shopping/Supermarkets During Coronavirus

12 minutes ago, Green Slime said:

A new message from the Sainsbury's Chief Executive Mike Coupe,

Great idea, except if you're under 70 but buying on behalf of older relatives as well (which is our case).

The ID presents a problem, therefore.

As regards preferably using a card, will there be spray/wipes available for the card machine buttons?

3 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

Great idea, except if you're under 70 but buying on behalf of older relatives as well (which is our case).

The ID presents a problem, therefore.

As regards preferably using a card, will there be spray/wipes available for the card machine buttons?

I normally shop at Sainsburys and over 80,  at the moment I am following advice and staying indoors. I wouldn''t think of using public transport at this time at all. I am relying on family for what I need'

2 hours ago, kay1 said:

I normally shop at Sainsburys and over 80,  at the moment I am following advice and staying indoors. I wouldn''t think of using public transport at this time at all. I am relying on family for what I need'

Exactly my point, Kay.

Your son/daughter is (obviously!) younger than you, so when they join the queue, who's to say that they're buying for you or (unfairly) for themselves?

If this farcical situation carries on, I can see official rationing being brought back.

Whenever there's an election, we get voting cards, so the data is already there - names, addresses, ages, etc.

14 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

Exactly my point, Kay.

Your son/daughter is (obviously!) younger than you, so when they join the queue, who's to say that they're buying for you or (unfairly) for themselves?

If this farcical situation carries on, I can see official rationing being brought back.

Whenever there's an election, we get voting cards, so the data is already there - names, addresses, ages, etc.

Won't happen. Give it a week or so and it will all settle down.

Someone I know has just been to Morrisons at Ecclesfield and says it's pretty well stocked (with a few exceptions) and no one bulk buying.
Hopefully things are calming down a bit now. 

There's no perfect answer to this problem but there are steps that could be taken. The most draconian would be to bring in the army and give them powers to enter the homes of people suspected of stockpiling and confiscate any excess food with no compensation, using  guidelines on how much households are allowed to have based on family size, then use the empty pubs and clubs as temporary shops and sell it to the over 65s, health workers and social care workers. Supermarkets should lock away the big trolleys and only allow shoppers to use a small trolley or a basket and only let 20 people in at a time with strict limits of how many items they can buy.  When one leaves, another is let in so people stop forming huge queues at 5.00 in the morning.

Things would be easier if we didn't have such a large, unsustainable population and we're really starting to feel the impact of decades of lax immigration rules. If we can't import food, we won't be able to feed everyone. About half the food bought in this country gets thrown away and this problem will get worse if people are buying so much food, they can't eat it by the use by date and we'll end up with more dying of starvation than getting the virus.

13 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

Exactly my point, Kay.

My "rations" have arrived and daughter in  law has had to visit 8 different shops to get basics for us I just cannot believe how the public (well some of them ) are behaving just a good job they didnt have to survive rationing during the war. My own Mother could fit her weeks food supply for 8 of us into a small wicker basket

6 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

That's where using contactless is a boon. In fact they should enforce contactless only as there is also a spending limit of £30 on it so it will also help stop overshopping.

Should supermarkets be made to hand over CCTV footage of people who are stockpiling to the authorities?

Just now, Green Slime said:

Should supermarkets be made to hand over CCTV footage of people who are stockpiling to the authorities?

Simple answer... no!

10 minutes ago, apelike said:

That's where using contactless is a boon. In fact they should enforce contactless only as there is also a spending limit of £30 on it so it will also help stop overshopping.

That's a good idea, but not everyone has contactless, or even cards.

15 minutes ago, Anna B said:

That's a good idea, but not everyone has contactless, or even cards.

It's easy to get contactless sorted as most banks have it now. If a person does not have one I'm sure the banks could probably get one set up within a week or so. I think most now also have bank accounts, even those on benefits, as its become the normal way of receiving benefits. Some still use a PO account but that contract is set to expire in 2021 so most will have already received notice from the DWP about that already.

If people have not got one then they should seriously think of getting on ASAP.

Edited by apelike