Instore Shopping/Supermarkets During Coronavirus

Been out to some local stores including a co/op and Asda supermarket- no sign of ppl taking a step back!

It's now virtually anything they can get, milk bays were empty, again the bakery wiped out, huge gaps in cereals, snacks aisles.

Despite messages from bosses, I don't see it registering on some.

Why must the pensioners and over seventies have to get to the supermarkets at 07:00 ? Why not 11:00 to 12:00, it means having to get up early, which most of them do but they can’t use their bus passes. Today a female shopper went round Sainsbury’s on the Moor, she bought a basket full of goods, she went outside gave the shopping to a friend and came back in to get more goods, it’s as bad as looting.

7 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Why must the pensioners and over seventies have to get to the supermarkets at 07:00 ? Why not 11:00 to 12:00, it means having to get up early, which most of them do but they can’t use their bus passes. Today a female shopper went round Sainsbury’s on the Moor, she bought a basket full of goods, she went outside gave the shopping to a friend and came back in to get more goods, it’s as bad as looting.

My understanding was the early slot for pensioners was so they got to pick products that had been replenished over night.

If they got 11am-12pm then basically would probably find zero stocks.

I'm expecting this panic buying will run itself dry in a week or so, and we'll be back to normal. I'm just not in a panic. Maybe that's unwise, time will tell; but why go out shopping when everyone is super-stressed and in a pickle. Seems better to stay calm and wait for things to quieten down a bit (and not to mention, for the shelves to be re-stocked).

Edited by Waldo

Yes unless people are so stupid they're buying stuff, letting most of it rot and then buying more.  The panic will probs subside over the next week or so as people isolate at home properly.

32 minutes ago, lazarus said:

I guess the problem is that by 11:00 hoarders will have stripped all the supermarkets bare? So the idea is to let the elderly have the first grab.

3 hours ago, Baron99 said:

God knows what today's folk would have been like if they had to live from 1939 to 45? 

The government introduced rationing so they didn't have much of a choice.

15 minutes ago, geared said:

Yes unless people are so stupid they're buying stuff, letting most of it rot and then buying more.  The panic will probs subside over the next week or so as people isolate at home properly.

I haven't noticed that veg and other perishables have been bought to excess. Most of the people doing this probably don't understand what to do with them. Other than bananas, there was plenty in Morrisons Hillsborough yesterday morning. 

Noticed that alcohol is starting to disappear.  All the cheaper stuff appears to be going first. 

We'll get through this & then we'll have a problem with people addicted to cheap cider. 🤪

I can sort of understand the loo roll thing....they have an indefinite shelf life ... but have been trying, unsuccessfully, to buy bread for two days.   How can you hoard bread?   It goes stale!   Ok you can freeze it, but only in a limited capacity unless you have an industrial (Boris hideout 😀) size job

23 minutes ago, kaytie said:

I can sort of understand the loo roll thing....they have an indefinite shelf life ... but have been trying, unsuccessfully, to buy bread for two days.   How can you hoard bread?   It goes stale!   Ok you can freeze it, but only in a limited capacity unless you have an industrial (Boris hideout 😀) size job

Where have you been looking? Practically everywhere I’ve been I’ve seen loads of bread on the shelves.

3 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Where have you been looking? Practically everywhere I’ve been I’ve seen loads of bread on the shelves.

Just been to ASDA parson cross, no bread..

4 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

It’s the same people every day apparently.

Some people are buying up supplies and reselling them at inflated prices. (BBC 6.0pm News.) 

IMO, anyone caught profiteering in this manner during a National crisis should be reported and arrested immediately.