Instore Shopping/Supermarkets During Coronavirus

Glad I decided to bring my shopping trip forward to Aldi  at Handsworth at 9am this morning,  lucky I did the shelves containging eggs, milk in boxes, toilet roll, paracetamol were empty,   freezers were spas in fact some of them were empty, the checkout ques were from one end of the shop to other,  if I had gone at 10am or 11am there would have been no ques because by this time,  there would have been hardly owt to sell.  :roll:

7 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Glad I decided to bring my shopping trip forward to Aldi  at Handsworth at 9am this morning,  lucky I did the shelves containging eggs, milk in boxes, toilet roll, paracetamol were empty,   freezers were spas in fact some of them were empty, the checkout ques were from one end of the shop to other,  if I had gone at 10am or 11am there would have been no ques because by this time,  there would have been hardly owt to sell.  :roll:

Bloomin ek, I'm going tomorrow, thought it would all have died down if I waited till the end of the week.

Got to go tomorrow, my beer stocks are completely depleted.

36 minutes ago, Padders said:

Bloomin ek, I'm going tomorrow, thought it would all have died down if I waited till the end of the week.

Got to go tomorrow, my beer stocks are completely depleted.

I usually go on a thursday and some times I cant get in the car park because of the delivery lorry so going on that there could be a delivery at some stage today.  :thumbsup:

14 hours ago, hauxwell said:

A friend of mine told me she went to Curry’s PC World in Gateshead and the salesperson said there has been a big rise in freezer sales, especially chest freezers because of the coronavirus. 

Apparently sales of bidets are on the increase.   People are just going mental. 

God knows what today's folk would have been like if they had to live from 1939 to 45? 

Edited by Baron99

23 hours ago, Mister M said:

I see that the Spar by the Train Station is selling toilet rolls for £1 each

https://www.thestar.co.uk/health/coronavirus/sheffield-spar-store-sells-individual-toilet-rolls-ps1-during-coronavirus-crisis-2483699

I really hope that they don't sell any. In fact, I hope they don't get any customers at all.

Apparently retailer Budgens were caught doing the same. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8114433/Shoppers-blast-Budgens-selling-toilet-roll-4-buy-2-50.html

Beware!  One of their stores has just sprung up in the old Sainsbury's at the bottom of London Road. 

@Baron99 - EXACTLY!!

In response to post #108

Edited by RollingJ

2 minutes ago, West 77 said:

A reporter based in Italy said last night that Italy hasn't had a problem because of panic buying.  Hopefully things will calm down here over the next few days and everyone will be able to buy what they need in the supermarkets.

I doubt it.

There are too many selfish people in this country with the  ' I'm Alright Jack ' attitude.

Of course I understand why people would need to buy a bit more than normal. People who are shopping for an elderly or disabled relatives as well as for themselves for example. Also, it makes sense for people who live alone to have a whole week's worth of supplies in, in case they get symptoms and have to self-isolate for 7 days.

It's people like my 80 odd year old disabled mum who I am really worried about. Even without the Corona virus chaos, she is totally reliant on others to do her shopping for her. She doesn't use much - one loaf of bread, 2 or 3 loo rolls etc would last her a week, yet she's already running out of basics because her relatives and carers simply can't find these things in supermarkets or local shops. 

Buying in a bit extra is acceptable and understandable, but stripping the shops bare just because you've got the money and means to do so and thereby leaving the elderly and disabled with nothing, is simply wrong and immoral.

19 hours ago, taxman said:

ASDA in Walkley was all out of tomato puree and olive oil tonight. Oh how very middle class, obviously to go with all the pasta thats been bought.

A hundred yards down the road Beeches were stocked with everything, including toilet roll at 4 for 79p.

Problem is soon the hoarders are going to twig that there also local shops and start targeting them :(

Who are these people? Does anyone know someone doing this? Have you tried to shame them into stopping?

I heard some guy in Sainsburys, saying that he didn't use the blue top milk he was buying,but thought he'd buy it anyway. Probably be poured down the sink next week.

21 minutes ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

Of course I understand why people would need to buy a bit more than normal. People who are shopping for an elderly or disabled relatives as well as for themselves for example. Also, it makes sense for people who live alone to have a whole week's worth of supplies in, in case they get symptoms and have to self-isolate for 7 days.

It's people like my 80 odd year old disabled mum who I am really worried about. Even without the Corona virus chaos, she is totally reliant on others to do her shopping for her. She doesn't use much - one loaf of bread, 2 or 3 loo rolls etc would last her a week, yet she's already running out of basics because her relatives and carers simply can't find these things in supermarkets or local shops. 

Buying in a bit extra is acceptable and understandable, but stripping the shops bare just because you've got the money and means to do so and thereby leaving the elderly and disabled with nothing, is simply wrong and immoral.

It’s the same people every day apparently.

2 hours ago, West 77 said:

A reporter based in Italy said last night that Italy hasn't had a problem because of panic buying.  Hopefully things will calm down here over the next few days and everyone will be able to buy what they need in the supermarkets.

Yes I heard that, they're  obviously  better mannered people than our lot.