Instore Shopping/Supermarkets During Coronavirus

3 hours ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

I have always thought that people that panic-buy are hysterical fools. They are also very selfish, because people who don't drive or who are cash-poor/ elderly/disabled etc are unable to buy and carry large amounts in one go.  So, when I last did my main shop a couple of weeks ago, I just bought what I normally buy. Now though, I'm running out of everything and when I tried to do another shop yesterday, the supermarket shelves and freezers were stripped bare in Morrison's, Lidl and Iceland.  There was a reasonable amount of fresh meat, fish, fruit & veg and bread, but absolutely no rice or pasta, very little tinned stuff (apart from things that no-one ever buys,  like artichoke hearts) and absolutely no bleach, loo rolls, kitchen towels, washing up liquid, disinfectant, liquid-soap or bar-soap.

I still disagree with panic-buying, but I'm not sure how I'm going to stock up on just the normal essentials now!!

There you go....and perhaps even locally, we could multiply you by say, several hundred or so?

If the shelves remain empty and proper order, common sense and decency DOESN'T break out, how are the likes of Firethorn to cope or survive? especially if, as some will very likely be, on LOW incomes?

Just seen the news.  At last Sainsbury's are going to limit the number of goods sold to customers. 

Only 3 of the same items per person & when it comes to the likes of toilet rolls, only 2 items. 

3 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Just seen the news.  At last Sainsbury's are going to limit the number of goods sold to customers. 

Only 3 of the same items per person & when it comes to the likes of toilet rolls, only 2 items. 

And early morning shopping for OAPs and disabled only.

Freshly stocked shelves.

Set the alarm😷😷

36 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Freshly stocked shelves.

Set the alarm😷😷

I'd add not to allow trolleys, only baskets to that list. 

26 minutes ago, steve68 said:

I'd add not to allow trolleys, only baskets to that list. 

So the old , infirm and those with chronic illness have to struggle round the supermarket (possibly using a walking aid) carrying a basket , getting heavier with every item . Then , when the OAP shopping time ends , the selfish hoarding cretin families can come back and fill a large trolley each again ? 

4 hours ago, Baron99 said:

But still nothing to stop someone going in, doing a shop, sticking it in their car and then going back in and using another till.

26 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

But still nothing to stop someone going in, doing a shop, sticking it in their car and then going back in and using another till.

Whats your proposal? stamp their foreheads when they come in so they cant come back (or go to any other store that day)

Jesus, the stores finally do something positive about trying to limit panic buying and supporting people to gain access to shops and SF still finds a way to criticise it. 

wonder how many of the posters in this thread have put a little extra into their shop in the last couple of weeks.

Edited by sheffbag

Woman in Asda Queens Road told me yesterday they had £2000 worth of toilet rolls delivered they didn’t make it to the shelves as people were dragging them out of the crates a man and woman had a proper old stand up fist fight over the last 2,police were called who said this is the 3rd supermarket fight we’ve been to today.

5 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Asda have said they will also stop shoppers buying more than three of any particular food item.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51941987

Edited by iansheff

3 hours ago, RJRB said:

Freshly stocked shelves.

Set the alarm😷😷

In my experience old people are just as selfish as younger people if not more so. (seen it first hand in Morrison's today). Hope the supermarkets are restricting what they are allowed to buy during these preferred shopping times. 

And who are classed as the disabled? are the staff doing checks? Can't help thinking this will get abused.

The “panic” buying should have been stopped by the supermarkets as soon as it started but I suppose they were rubbing their hands at all the profits, so they are as much to blame as the selfish shoppers.

And as if things are not bad enough Toby Foster opines today that "meat and fish counters will be the next to close."

Good old BBC public disservice broadcaster.

Cue pandemonium...