Instore Shopping/Supermarkets During Coronavirus

1 hour ago, whiteowl said:

What are the shops like now ? (appreciate experiences may vary)

Not been for a couple of weeks and it was horrendous back then, have things calmed down a bit ? May have to leave the bunker next week for supplies 😐

Oh, and are most of them implementing a one way system? May have to put my shopping list in order then as I'm a bit haphazard at that sort of thing.

Don't worry whiteowl :) There is food on the shelves. Don't watch too much news.

Perhaps not your usual shop obviously!

My local shop is also fairly well stocked.

Supermarkets are using distancing measures, cleaning trolleys,, and when I went to local supermarket other day, was calm. Probably more calm than before all this to be fair! :hihi:

Most checkouts are now cashless - so you have to do yourself if want to pay cash. I wouldn't, as lots of screen touching.

Also, just make sure when out of the place, wash your hands well before touching your face, or things in your house - pretty basic knowledge know - but no reason to be complacent if not in a rush.

:)

Just as a side note, I went onto Amazon, to look for facemasks, and in the search window, I only typed 'f' and facemasks was first choice! :hihi:

I actually want surgical gloves though. Still will follow guidelines, but I'm be forced to go out this week, when I've been isolating for 12 days now - no symptoms.

Edited by *_ash_*

Guest makapaka

I definitely think it’s calmed which is the same as happened in Italy - once people realise the shops are still getting stocked they calm down.

i use my local Mini Sainsburys and there’s no shortage of anything really.

just buy what you need and we’ll be sound.

21 minutes ago, makapaka said:

I definitely think it’s calmed which is the same as happened in Italy - once people realise the shops are still getting stocked they calm down.

i use my local Mini Sainsburys and there’s no shortage of anything really.

just buy what you need and we’ll be sound.

yes. I agree.

Though on a forum I use in London, not so good.

Lucky we're in Yorkshire and not as highly populated. I wouldn't fancy being in a big city now.

I hope if restrictions on movement alter, that this is considered.

Hot and sunny weather forecast for this weekend, get your pork sausages in folks, before the shelves empty.

Pigs will fly.

8 minutes ago, Padders said:

Hot and sunny weather forecast for this weekend, get your pork sausages in folks, before the shelves empty.

Pigs will fly.

I’ve managed to get hold of a bag of compost, think I’ll spend Sunday sowing some seeds.

23 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

Just as a side note, I went onto Amazon, to look for facemasks, and in the search window, I only typed 'f' and facemasks was first choice! :hihi:

I actually want surgical gloves though. Still will follow guidelines, but I'm be forced to go out this week, when I've been isolating for 12 days now - no symptoms.

There's loads available for an OK price on Ebay, if you overlook those taking part in price gouging.  I only paid a couple of quid a box more than I would normally pay when buying some earlier in the week.

Is it time something is done about the non essential items/isles in shops that are trading because they also stock the essential items like food, cleaning and sanitary products? I'm taking about places like B&M.

I think people going out buying  garden furniture and home furnishings of all various kinds from these places is not really in the spirit of the lockdown. It should be sectioned off or stored away.

Edited by Ruddy76

51 minutes ago, Ruddy76 said:

Is it time something is done about the non essential items/isles in shops that are trading because they also stock the essential items like food, cleaning and sanitary products? I'm taking about places like B&M.

I think people going out buying  garden furniture and home furnishings of all various kinds from these places is not really in the spirit of the lockdown. It should be sectioned off or stored away.

No, I only go out to shops for essentials but why can't I be allowed to buy an Easter egg if I wanted to.  

7 hours ago, jane2008 said:

No, I only go out to shops for essentials but why can't I be allowed to buy an Easter egg if I wanted to.  

An Easter egg is classed as food I suppose, but lamps and picture frames are not essentials.

9 hours ago, medusa said:

There's loads available for an OK price on Ebay, if you overlook those taking part in price gouging.  I only paid a couple of quid a box more than I would normally pay when buying some earlier in the week.

I messaged a few people the other day to buy face masks, as I had read that places coming out of lockdown are generally mask only - and if we follow suit, they'll be hard to get.

Then yesterday I noticed it was a news story, so people will start raiding those stocks I think.

A few post's on here regarding B&M (for an example Argos as well no doubt) where there may well have been a rush on certain items, garden furniture etc. Think of all the kids out there who can not be expected to be hidden away during this crisis. They don't understand fully what the implications of this emergency are. So if their parents have had the good fortune to have bought Trampolines and garden furniture so they can spend more time with their little ones away from this madness good luck to them.

Food wise I had a cold (thanks to one of the Grandkids) before all this started so missed out on the panic buying, but we'd always got food in the house anyway. 3 loves is not excessive, I've always bought 3 loaves at at time I have never considered it excessive just a reasonable way of managing how often I needed to go shopping. in other words by the time we'd used 3 loaves it was time for another shop.

I self isolated at the very beginning of all this and it wasn't till Monday of this week I decided to go shopping (masked up of course) and was quite surprised how well stocked our local Farm foods actually was. Veg and meat from Aldi all of which are of good quality.

Weren't we (most of us) brought up on proper foods?

I've just polished off the last of the ash and dumpling I've been eating for the last 3 days and have a home made Shepard's pie on the go which will last at least two days as I write.

So No Food doesn't have to be boring - define boring? Egg and Chips, Sausage and Mash, Scrambled eggs chips and salad cream (?) have got to be better for the kids than the regurgitated things purported to be Chicken Nuggets.

While no doubt convenience (?) foods might be a cheap way of doing things how hard is it to make your own mashed potatoes? Fish, Rabbit or Pheasant stews.

Have a thought about all those proper foods we were brought up on.

Tomato Sausages (That didn't taste of dry powder substitutes).

Blue Cheese.

Tripe.

Black pudding (mushy peas and mint sauce - I was nearly outside the Smugglers at Chapel St Leonards then)

etc, etc, etc

Just one final thing WHY are penny Ducks no longer a penny?

us mechanics have been using face masks and gloves for years, again thankfully I've always had a good supply in't Garage.

It was only the week before this started did my Lad bring me a full box of dust masks some one gave him as he was packing his stall up at the carboot because he hadn't sold them.

Take care out there and eat well.