Instore Shopping/Supermarkets During Coronavirus

I just got back from Asda and there was a lot of meat, and milk, lot of empty spaces on the tinned fish and tinned meat shelves. There was not one sliced loaf on the shelves, they had their own breadcakes and they also had fresh bread from the bakery. Wasn't too busy with quite a few just having a basket while some others had trolleys that were full to the brim.

Why don't supermarkets remove the b ig trolleys and only have small trolleys and baskets, I know trolleys would be in short supply but at least it would stop this stupid shelf stripping

1 hour ago, kay1 said:

Didn.t the head office say "this was an error with pricing" and refunded people?? Also if you do find anyone trying to sell at inflated prices why dont we name and shame them

Seems very convenient! Probably a case of caught red handed and that was the best excuse. IMO they should be hit with massive fines no matter what excuse they have.

I just went to the COOP near Northern Ave, it looked like a shop that was closing down!

No bread, no milk and very little of anything else. The Lady said no milk delivery today. Some people having a right go at her, I had to step in at that point...no time for idiots that open their mouth before they put their brain in gear and shooting the messenger with some very abusive language. Maybe the powers that be at COOP and other shops need to up their milk/bread deliveries if possible. The overall best solution being, people need to stop panic buying and let the supply chain get back to a normal level. Maybe these people will learn when they are throwing away ££s worth of food as its gone off.

Think bigger pressures are on refilling - I've been to 3 stores this morning ( Tesco, Sainsbury and Co OP) and each one was empty on bakery, veg, cereals and typically tinned stuff.

It's the bakery that probably is the biggest issue. Deliveries can't get out fast enough, when they do, the stores are ransacked.

I spoke to local Londis owner, he just had Warburtons delivery but no bread. I felt sorry for him- his clearly going to be less important with bigger fish to feed.

17 minutes ago, Mr Fisk said:

It's the bakery that probably is the biggest issue. Deliveries can't get out fast enough, when they do, the stores are ransacked.

I spoke to local Londis owner, he just had Warburtons delivery but no bread. I felt sorry for him- his clearly going to be less important with bigger fish to feed.

The sad thing is that much of this horded stuff will probably spoil.  

36 minutes ago, zach said:

I just went to the COOP near Northern Ave, it looked like a shop that was closing down!

Same yesterday at ASDA parson cross.. every shelf stripped bare, I've never ever seen anything like it, unbelievable.

the even worse thing is all these people getting in a big scrum of people to grab as much as they can are just going to be a perfect setup for spread of this virus?!

13 minutes ago, Padders said:

Same yesterday at ASDA parson cross.. every shelf stripped bare, I've never ever seen anything like it, unbelievable.

People say they are scared, desperate or any other polite terminology. In my book it has shown that a large part of our society are just greedy, self centred and have no respect for anyone other than their own bubble. I watched very old people this morning that just looked confused and helpless but there was nothing you could do to help as the idiots had cleared all the daily things out.

To say I was angry would be the understatement of the year, I'll not type what I'm thinking as I will definitely get a ban!

Could someone please explain the biggest mystery of the moment ?

Where is all the bread going ?

Bear in mind :

1 - Bread goes off in about a week

2 - Bread is quite bulky so takes up a lot of room in ones freezer

I heard a theory that some people might even be buying extra bread "as a spare", then binning it when it got stale only to buy some more ! It sounds unlikely, and incredibly selfish*, but I can't think of any other explanation.....

* If this is true they should be flogged, and I'm only half joking.

Edited by Justin Smith

Just now, Justin Smith said:

Bear in mind :

I heard a theory that some people might even be buying bread then binning it when it got stale only to buy some more ! It sounds unlikely, and incredibly selfish*, but I can't think of any other explanation.....

* If this is true they should be shot, and I'm only half joking.

Well I know someone who feeds the ducks on a daily basis.

34 minutes ago, zach said:

People say they are scared, desperate or any other polite terminology. In my book it has shown that a large part of our society are just greedy, self centred and have no respect for anyone other than their own bubble. I watched very old people this morning that just looked confused and helpless but there was nothing you could do to help as the idiots had cleared all the daily things out.

To say I was angry would be the understatement of the year, I'll not type what I'm thinking as I will definitely get a ban!

In fairness, I've seen a lot of old people doing exactly the same.  My neighbour boasted to me yesterday that he had bought the last three 18-pack toilet rolls from the shop down the road and he now has enough to last him a year.

32 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

Bear in mind :

I heard a theory that some people might even be buying extra bread "as a spare", then binning it when it got stale only to buy some more ! It sounds unlikely, and incredibly selfish*, but I can't think of any other explanation.....

* If this is true they should be flogged, and I'm only half joking.

People are also buying freezers. Electrical retailers are apparently selling a lot of large freezers at the moment.