Instore Shopping/Supermarkets During Coronavirus

29 minutes ago, lindylou53 said:

Bet it wasn't like this in the good old days of community spirit when rationing was going on...

It wasn't I lived through the war years and rationing, and friends and neighbours shared and swopped and helped one another

59 minutes ago, lindylou53 said:

Bet it wasn't like this in the good old days of community spirit when rationing was going on...

Wasn't there a fairly active black market in operation though?

well if everybdy else has stocked up on sanitiser, i don't need to bother 'cos either they've killed their own germs off so i can't catch anything or they'll kill anything i have.

Two brothers who stocked up on 17,700 bottles of hand sanitiser at vastly inflated prices have been forced to donate them for free.  Matt and Noah Colvin paid less than $1 a bottle, they had hoped to flog the bottles online for up to $70 (£56) each after snapping them up for a fraction of the price.

Good to see they got what they deserved, nothing.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/brothers-donate-17700-hand-sanitiser-21701316

1 hour ago, geared said:

Wasn't there a fairly active black market in operation though?

I believe so, but only for people who had money to buy it, bit like the people who are trying to sell hand gel at stupid prices which you dont need if you just wash your hands with soap and water

Where do they store all this stuff? 

The shop keepers and multi stores may be rubbing their hands with glee at the moment but when all this blows over the shops will be empty because most people will have enough anyway.😃

By telling people they may have to self isolate for 12 weeks from this weekend the governement has just encouraged a panic buying free for all this weekend.

1 hour ago, taxman said:

By telling people they may have to self isolate for 12 weeks from this weekend the governement has just encouraged a panic buying free for all this weekend.

I think it’s started this evening. People obviously can’t conduct themselves so measures should be put in place.

Went into the Body Care shop on the moor today, two Asian women had a basket each full of toothbrushes, toothpaste, mouth wash, deodorants, bottles of shampoo, body lotion etc, at the tills one of them had six packs of toothbrushes each with three brushes in them, ten tubes of toothpaste, had to go so didn’t catch what else they had. Incredulous to say the least.

If stores start to restrict what you can buy, what will happen when you go shopping to get things for yourself and say an elderly relative,friend etc who is isolated at home?, if you can't shop for them is it look after yourself

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

Went into the Body Care shop on the moor today, two Asian women had a basket each full of toothbrushes, toothpaste, mouth wash, deodorants, bottles of shampoo, body lotion etc, at the tills one of them had six packs of toothbrushes each with three brushes in them, ten tubes of toothpaste, had to go so didn’t catch what else they had. Incredulous to say the least.

Somewhat more rational thab Americans who are panic buying guns............................

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/us-sales-guns-ammunition-soar-amid-coronavirus-panic-buying

Edited by Longcol

Panic buying is a phrase made up by the media, sells newspapers etc..

It's actually sensible people stocking up on essential items in anticipation of a worst case scenario .