Instore Shopping/Supermarkets During Coronavirus

I know this is paired with the Coronavirus thread but feel it needs a place of its own.

Many outlets have advised people that there is no need to panic buy, the shops this weekend were like Christmas with fresh meats, dried pasta, canned goods, bread, laundry products, hand soaps, loo rolls all gone, the advice from supermarkets is again don't panic buy, I called in Morrisons this morning and people were leaving with trolleys that were that full they could barely push them.

Why are people so selfish and unable to listen to advice??

Edited by nikki-red

I started panic buying on Friday =  i bought salad and vegetables. Can't be too careful.

Tescos Saville Street on Saturday, a couple with a teenager I overheard the father say we all need a trolley intrigued I watched them go straight to the loo rolls which staff  were just filling up the father put 5 packs (max allowed) of 24 rolls in each trolley and went to check out. Sure when thier money runs out the shelves will be back to normal

With the exception of a bag of cat litter for a friend and a bag of bread flour (just in case) my shopping will be arriving today with exactly the same things as we buy every week later on today.  If there are deeper shortages later on, we'll deal with that later on (and probably lose weight too).

Aldi Norton store Sunday was manic with panic,1've never seen anything like it

You'd hope that soon the public will have got it out their system, the sort of fools that think they need 100+ rolls of bog roll will have them by now.

I've heard supermarkets are now enforcing limits quite strictly, those clearly taking the mick just have the trolley taken off them and are told to leave.

I hope the shame from such a public humiliation sticks with them.

4 minutes ago, medusa said:

With the exception of a bag of cat litter for a friend and a bag of bread flour (just in case) my shopping will be arriving today with exactly the same things as we buy every week later on today.  If there are deeper shortages later on, we'll deal with that later on (and probably lose weight too).

I hope you get all you ordered my bill on Saturday was half of what it normally is due to things not being on the shelf, plenty of fresh fruit so I might be trying to trace the toilet roll family  Heres to losing a few inches.

4 minutes ago, geared said:

You'd hope that soon the public will have got it out their system, the sort of fools that think they need 100+ rolls of bog roll will have them by now.

I've heard supermarkets are now enforcing limits quite strictly, those clearly taking the mick just have the trolley taken off them and are told to leave.

I hope the shame from such a public humiliation sticks with them.

I just wish the media would stop showing pictures of empty shelves I think that this is causing a lot of panic, also I agree that people who are loading trolleys should be stopped

3 minutes ago, kay1 said:

I just wish the media would stop showing pictures of empty shelves I think that this is causing a lot of panic, also I agree that people who are loading trolleys should be stopped

I agree. The media seem to be feeding the hysteria rather than helping to stop it. 

To be honest I'm confused. 12 cases of Coronavirus in Sheffield at the moment according to lunchtime news (Calendar ITV) How does that justify the panic we're in?

Bet it wasn't like this in the good old days of community spirit when rationing was going on...

1 hour ago, kay1 said:

I know right.

Also I'm wondering if constant messages along the lines of "no need to PANIC BUY" "please don't PANIC BUY NOW (wait till shelves are re-stocked)" are maybe not having the desired effect.