Instore Shopping/Supermarkets During Coronavirus

If the retailer is class / designated as an 'essential retailer' & therefore allowed to open under the current COVID-19 Govt restrictions, then that retailer can sell whatever they want, whether, you, me, the local authority or the police consider a purchased item to be 'essential' or not. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-52090441

It is down to the 'essential retailers' to decide what they are going to sell & some of their stock may be off-limits, due to current staff shortages or the issue that they cannot monitor social distancing throughout the entire store. 

For example, go to M&S  on Fargate the clothes depts have been cordoned off with only the food half open but you can still buy Easter cards, Easter eggs & other Easter merchandise. 

At the other end of the scale, Wilko's down in the Haymarket have, as far as I can see, have been selling thier full range. 

In tbe past week, I've bought a tin of Hammerite & some Fish, Blood & Bone for the garden.  Hardly what some would call essential items although they were purchased while we were out buying food items, rather than a separate journey. 

So if you see a shop open, you can buy anything you like from what they are selling & if you are stopped by some officious jobsworth, including the police, you've not done anything wrong. 

Also remember, you are also allowed out of the house more than once a day, (there is NO law against it at present, you're just not supposed to congregate in groups), although I'd advise against it as it increases your chances of catching COVID-19 but also a  large dog does require more than one walk a day. 

So go out & buy your Easter eggs with impunity. 

Edited by Baron99

21 hours ago, Ruddy76 said:

Is it time something is done about the non essential items/isles in shops that are trading because they also stock the essential items like food, cleaning and sanitary products? I'm taking about places like B&M.

I think people going out buying  garden furniture and home furnishings of all various kinds from these places is not really in the spirit of the lockdown. It should be sectioned off or stored away.

No. People having to stay in leads to boredom, which leads to stress, arguments, mental illness etc. Having something to keep occupied with while staying in is a big help, so I, and many others, will be glad they can buy DIY/home improvement supplies, gardening tools, seeds etc, etc.

21 hours ago, Ruddy76 said:

Is it time something is done about the non essential items/isles in shops that are trading because they also stock the essential items like food, cleaning and sanitary products? I'm taking about places like B&M.

I think people going out buying  garden furniture and home furnishings of all various kinds from these places is not really in the spirit of the lockdown. It should be sectioned off or stored away.

I do think that if you're in the shop for essentials, there's not much harm in buying non-essentials if they're already there.

Plants in particular will just wither and be thrown away if not sold. A bit of gardening is good exercise, and is good for mental wellbeing. We also have to deal with a lot more unemployment and hardship after the crisis, if businesses have had to close down.

8 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I do think that if you're in the shop for essentials, there's not much harm in buying non-essentials if they're already there.

Plants in particular will just wither and be thrown away if not sold. A bit of gardening is good exercise, and is good for mental wellbeing. We also have to deal with a lot more unemployment and hardship after the crisis, if businesses have had to close down.

Agree.  We should also remember after everything gets back to normal, to spend a bit more in the little, local shops. 

The ones who managed to source some of the bread & toilet rolls, etc, that we couldn't get hold of because of the panic buying in larger retailer's stores. 

13 minutes ago, Anna B said:

22 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

No. People having to stay in leads to boredom, which leads to stress, arguments, mental illness etc. Having something to keep occupied with while staying in is a big help, so I, and many others, will be glad they can buy DIY/home improvement supplies, gardening tools, seeds etc, etc.

Why should Argos be closed then? 

22 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Indeed.  Hasn't there been a report on the news this week that garden centres are going to lose a lot of revenue and have to throw away thousands of plants grown ready for this year?

10 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

A few post's on here regarding B&M (for an example Argos as well no doubt) where there may well have been a rush on certain items, garden furniture etc. Think of all the kids out there who can not be expected to be hidden away during this crisis. They don't understand fully what the implications of this emergency are. So if their parents have had the good fortune to have bought Trampolines and garden furniture so they can spend more time with their little ones away from this madness good luck to them.

Food wise I had a cold (thanks to one of the Grandkids) before all this started so missed out on the panic buying, but we'd always got food in the house anyway. 3 loves is not excessive, I've always bought 3 loaves at at time I have never considered it excessive just a reasonable way of managing how often I needed to go shopping. in other words by the time we'd used 3 loaves it was time for another shop.

I self isolated at the very beginning of all this and it wasn't till Monday of this week I decided to go shopping (masked up of course) and was quite surprised how well stocked our local Farm foods actually was. Veg and meat from Aldi all of which are of good quality.

Weren't we (most of us) brought up on proper foods?

I've just polished off the last of the ash and dumpling I've been eating for the last 3 days and have a home made Shepard's pie on the go which will last at least two days as I write.

So No Food doesn't have to be boring - define boring? Egg and Chips, Sausage and Mash, Scrambled eggs chips and salad cream (?) have got to be better for the kids than the regurgitated things purported to be Chicken Nuggets.

While no doubt convenience (?) foods might be a cheap way of doing things how hard is it to make your own mashed potatoes? Fish, Rabbit or Pheasant stews.

Have a thought about all those proper foods we were brought up on.

Tomato Sausages (That didn't taste of dry powder substitutes).

Blue Cheese.

Tripe.

Black pudding (mushy peas and mint sauce - I was nearly outside the Smugglers at Chapel St Leonards then)

etc, etc, etc

Just one final thing WHY are penny Ducks no longer a penny?

us mechanics have been using face masks and gloves for years, again thankfully I've always had a good supply in't Garage.

It was only the week before this started did my Lad bring me a full box of dust masks some one gave him as he was packing his stall up at the carboot because he hadn't sold them.

Take care out there and eat well.

A good chance to get the kids involved in the kitchen too, and I don't just mean the tiny ones, plenty of teens, especially those soon to go off to college need as many life skills as they can get.  Simple, hearty meals can be prepared quickly and cheaply from basic store cupboard ingredients.  No student should have to live on nothing but takeaways when they know how to rustle up a decent omelette or welsh rarebit.

Edited by Anna B

3 hours ago, Ruddy76 said:

Because Argos doesn't sell food or anything that has been classed as essential.  As others have said if you are out shopping for food there is nothing wrong with buying anything the shop has in stock.

Just to make it clear, I don't want any Easter eggs, it was just an example😁

Edited by jane2008

13 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

... 3 loves is not excessive....

I might mention this viewpoint to the wife.

(Methinks I shall be out of range when I do so...) 😉

12 hours ago, Ruddy76 said:

Argos is open for collection in Sainsbury's stores.

9 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

I might mention this viewpoint to the wife.

(Methinks I shall be out of range when I do so...) 😉

Thank you RiffRaff for spotting the mistake.

One Love(s) is definitely enough for any man - who'd want the extra hassel?

Listening to the BBC news today it was mentioned how long Coronavirus (COVID-19) can live on various surfaces we have varied our once a week shop over a month between Asda, Morrison’s, M&S and Sainsbury’s, the person on the news suggested that really anything you buy should be wiped down with hot soapy water before putting in a fridge or cupboard because all you are doing is possibly bringing the virus into your homes on packaging, you put your food into shopping trolleys which can be contaminated we have seen that some supermarkets provide wipes for the trolley handles but some of the supermarket trolleys do not look very hygienic to start off with would it be a bit more reassuring if we saw shopping trolleys being pressure washed cleaned in the present emergency, cleanest trolleys Sainsbury’s and M&S joint first Morrison’s third Asda  last.