The Christmas Logo Competition is back. See thread in Sheffield Discussions for details ×

Instore Shopping/Supermarkets During Coronavirus

On my local neighbourhood site there was a report of a sudden increase in food waste-possible panic bought perishables gone off before they could be eaten. Also report from supermarket spokesperson that March sales twice those of December 19-madness

Yes, some people have obviously been panic buying but some people are going to the supermarket to buy essentials for themselves and for elderly parents, vulnerable relatives, neighbours, etc.  So please don't immediately think people are being selfish when they have three loaves in their trollies, as they might be the total opposite. 

1 hour ago, Lex Luthor said:

Yes, some people have obviously been panic buying but some people are going to the supermarket to buy essentials for themselves and for elderly parents, vulnerable relatives, neighbours, etc.  So please don't immediately think people are being selfish when they have three loaves in their trollies, as they might be the total opposite. 

Three loaves in a trolley?  THREE loaves? 

I remember my Grandad telling me about the days when people were allowed three loaves. 

14 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Three loaves in a trolley?  THREE loaves? 

I remember my Grandad telling me about the days when people were allowed three loaves. 

Thank you for a much-needed bit of light relief on a terrible news day.

15 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

However, to me, the panic buying hasn't been ready meals or prepared food - its been bizarre things like toilet roll, tinned beans and pasta.

There must be a hell of a lot of people having very boring dinners over the past few weeks.  

The thing about canned beans and dried pasta is that they have a very long shelf life, I doubt that people who stocked upon them will be having boring dinners, as they can obtain plentiful fresh food from the supermarkets.

The beans/pasta will be eaten as and when they feel like some, while additionally providing peace of mind in case of food supply lines breaking down completely over the next few months.

Unlike the 'panic buying' which has resulted in well documented cases of spoiled food being dumped in bins, things like canned beans & dried pasta are intelligent things to have stocks of. Even if things return to normal within months, they won't be wasted.

Oats are another good one.

Posted (edited)

What are the shops like now ? (appreciate experiences may vary)

Not been for a couple of weeks and it was horrendous back then, have things calmed down a bit ? May have to leave the bunker next week for supplies 😐

Oh, and are most of them implementing a one way system? May have to put my shopping list in order then as I'm a bit haphazard at that sort of thing.

Edited by whiteowl

1 hour ago, whiteowl said:

What are the shops like now ? (appreciate experiences may vary)

Not been for a couple of weeks and it was horrendous back then, have things calmed down a bit ? May have to leave the bunker next week for supplies 😐

Oh, and are most of them implementing a one way system? May have to put my shopping list in order then as I'm a bit haphazard at that sort of thing.

Don't worry whiteowl :) There is food on the shelves. Don't watch too much news.

Perhaps not your usual shop obviously!

My local shop is also fairly well stocked.

Supermarkets are using distancing measures, cleaning trolleys,, and when I went to local supermarket other day, was calm. Probably more calm than before all this to be fair! :hihi:

Most checkouts are now cashless - so you have to do yourself if want to pay cash. I wouldn't, as lots of screen touching.

Also, just make sure when out of the place, wash your hands well before touching your face, or things in your house - pretty basic knowledge know - but no reason to be complacent if not in a rush.

:)

Posted (edited)

Just as a side note, I went onto Amazon, to look for facemasks, and in the search window, I only typed 'f' and facemasks was first choice! :hihi:

I actually want surgical gloves though. Still will follow guidelines, but I'm be forced to go out this week, when I've been isolating for 12 days now - no symptoms.

Edited by *_ash_*

I definitely think it’s calmed which is the same as happened in Italy - once people realise the shops are still getting stocked they calm down.

i use my local Mini Sainsburys and there’s no shortage of anything really.

just buy what you need and we’ll be sound.

21 minutes ago, makapaka said:

I definitely think it’s calmed which is the same as happened in Italy - once people realise the shops are still getting stocked they calm down.

i use my local Mini Sainsburys and there’s no shortage of anything really.

just buy what you need and we’ll be sound.

yes. I agree.

Though on a forum I use in London, not so good.

Lucky we're in Yorkshire and not as highly populated. I wouldn't fancy being in a big city now.

I hope if restrictions on movement alter, that this is considered.

Hot and sunny weather forecast for this weekend, get your pork sausages in folks, before the shelves empty.

Pigs will fly.

8 minutes ago, Padders said:

Hot and sunny weather forecast for this weekend, get your pork sausages in folks, before the shelves empty.

Pigs will fly.

I’ve managed to get hold of a bag of compost, think I’ll spend Sunday sowing some seeds.