Instore Shopping/Supermarkets During Coronavirus

4 hours ago, catmiss said:

What concerns me most about masks is do all the fashion accessory type masks get a boil wash after each use as recommended-I don’t think so

What also concerns me is environmental impact of discarded disposal masks seemingly everywhere!!

10 hours ago, catmiss said:

What concerns me most about masks is do all the fashion accessory type masks get a boil wash after each use as recommended-I don’t think so

What concerns me most about them are the small number of people making a fuss about a simple, but effective public health matter.

24 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

What concerns me most about them are the small number of people making a fuss about a simple, but effective public health matter.

I don't think you read post #543 did you..... :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, apelike said:

I don't think you read post #543 did you..... :rolleyes:

Yes, I did.

Why do you ask?

18 hours ago, catmiss said:

They don't need a boil wash.  A simple wash with hand hot water and soap is sufficient to degrade any coronavirus present.  Soap has a huge part to play here, due to the damage caused by surfactants on the oily surface molecules of the virus, which is why hand washing is so encouraged.

I do wonder looking at the state of them if some masks get washed very often though. Or disposable ones keep getting re-used 🤮 I’m  not sure if it completely defeats the purpose of wearing one but it can’t be a good thing putting a unclean mask over your face.

Edited by redruby

2 hours ago, redruby said:

I do wonder looking at the state of them if some masks get washed very often though. Or disposable ones keep getting re-used 🤮 I’m  not sure if it completely defeats the purpose of wearing one but it can’t be a good thing putting a unclean mask over your face.

I understand what you're saying but the point of a mask is to stop you spreading your "germs" (for want of a better word) over other people. Assuming it's your mask, the only harm to you is what you've put on the inside of the mask yourself, which you've obviously caught already.

Can’t you be at risk from the ‘germs’ on the outside of the mask? I seem to remember advice being given months ago about how to remove a mask safely to avoid this 

7 hours ago, whiteowl said:

I understand what you're saying but the point of a mask is to stop you spreading your "germs" (for want of a better word) over other people. Assuming it's your mask, the only harm to you is what you've put on the inside of the mask yourself, which you've obviously caught already.

But if you touch a contaminated surface, then then put mask right over you mouth and nose that is surely a risk?  And the more the mask is reused, put in and of a pocket or bag without washing the greater the risk is. Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t an anti mask argument, I just feel like many think that act of simply putting a mask on is a safety blanket (even if they know this is just for the benefit of protecting others). When Covid has the opportunity to spread it will spread, so wearing an unclean mask could maybe protect others if you are infected  in some situations but in other cases you could infect yourself by placing a contaminated mask right on your face. I’m just saying that masks need to clean and properly used in conjunction with hand cleaning and social distancing (not as a poor substitute for these).

Edited by redruby

3 hours ago, redruby said:

But if you touch a contaminated surface, then then put mask right over you mouth and nose that is surely a risk?  And the more the mask is reused, put in and of a pocket or bag without washing the greater the risk is. Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t an anti mask argument, I just feel like many think that act of simply putting a mask on is a safety blanket (even if they know this is just for the benefit of protecting others). When Covid has the opportunity to spread it will spread, so wearing an unclean mask could maybe protect others if you are infected  in some situations but in other cases you could infect yourself by placing a contaminated mask right on your face. I’m just saying that masks need to clean and properly used in conjunction with hand cleaning and social distancing (not as a poor substitute for these).

My bold.  Yes, that's why it is  recommended to wash or sanitise your hands before putting the mask on. 

I even had pictoral instructions somewhere, I'll see if I can find them!

11 hours ago, Becky B said:

My bold.  Yes, that's why it is  recommended to wash or sanitise your hands before putting the mask on. 

I even had pictoral instructions somewhere, I'll see if I can find them!

Well yes, that’s why I said masks need to be used in conjunction with hand sanitising and social distancing (not as a substitute).  Plenty of people don’t though and think they are ‘safe’ and/or being responsible protecting others just because they are wearing a mask.

6 minutes ago, redruby said:

Well yes, that’s why I said masks need to be used in conjunction with hand sanitising and social distancing (not as a substitute).  Plenty of people don’t though and think they are ‘safe’ and/or being responsible protecting others just because they are wearing a mask.

Yes.  Not worn under your chin, and constantly fiddled with, touching your face in the process.  Aaargh!!!!!!!