Instore Shopping/Supermarkets During Coronavirus

Hmm...I’m not sure what the legal stance is on refusing entry to shop without a mask but I would suggest it is at least equally important to ask customers to sanitise their hands on entry if the aim is to minimise risk as far as possible. There’s less point in insisting customers to put a covering over the nose and mouth if they coughed into their hand before entering the shop and touch door handles, products and handle cash etc.  

7 hours ago, mafya said:

I’m not refusing on the grounds of disability I’m refusing entry on the grounds of anyone not wearing a mask please will not be served as I don’t want to catch the virus myself.

night clubs and pubs can refuse entry if you are wearing trainers or wrong attire so it’s similar to that. Police were in my shop yesterday and even commented that it was nice to see that I was following the mask wearing requirement.

On a separate note a person with a disability exemption can go round not wearing a mask and then end up spreading it about themselves by going places without a mask.

my dad is doing good and they have lowered his oxygen dependency today so that’s a good sign.

Good for you Mafya.  It's your shop and you are enforcing the rules.  Even if you are breaking a discrimitary law somehow, you need to keep you and yours safe.

Hope your Dad is OK 

4 hours ago, redruby said:

Hmm...I’m not sure what the legal stance is on refusing entry to shop without a mask but I would suggest it is at least equally important to ask customers to sanitise their hands on entry if the aim is to minimise risk as far as possible. There’s less point in insisting customers to put a covering over the nose and mouth if they coughed into their hand before entering the shop and touch door handles, products and handle cash etc.  

I have a big hand sanitiser pump at the door  and ask all customers to use it,  I also get customers to put cash in a tub which I sanitise before putting it back in the tub.

i also regularly sanitise door, fridge handles etc.

4 hours ago, mafya said:

I have a big hand sanitiser pump at the door  and ask all customers to use it,  I also get customers to put cash in a tub which I sanitise before putting it back in the tub.

i also regularly sanitise door, fridge handles etc.

Good work. I’m not sure if people are being as careful about hand sanitising lately.

Went to a Tesco's yesterday (somewhere I don't usually frequent).

All the right things - one way in one way out, hand sanitisers, etc etc etc.

So why the hell was every single one of the staff who were putting fresh veg out wearing their masks below their noses ?????????

There were at least 6 of them and a supervisor present.

Why they were wearing them under their noses i have no idea, but  shop staff have no legal requirement to wear them.

36 minutes ago, Cade Foster said:

Why they were wearing them under their noses i have no idea, but  shop staff have no legal requirement to wear them.

I do not know Tesco policy but, perhaps there is an expectation for how many cages staff have to unload onto shelves per day?  Those cages can be heavy.  Maybe leaving the nose uncovered makes it easier to breath as they work?  In which case, I'd suggest they don't wear a mask because as you say, they are not required to.  I have no idea if they have temperature checks before starting work.

Edited by Arnold_Lane

An increasing number of shop staff I see are using visors instead of masks.  They can breath easier, and also talk to each other.  I assume that the thinking is that they  are regularly disinfected, so perhaps they are as safe as masks for both the wearer and others?

All other staff in all other areas with masks on or behind screens but those in the Fresh food only 1/2 covered up just seemed strange to me.

Ok some times depending on the mask it is nice to 'come up for air' as it were, but why all 6 of them?

Looked more like common practice to me.

Keep safe.

50 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

All other staff in all other areas with masks on or behind screens but those in the Fresh food only 1/2 covered up just seemed strange to me.

Ok some times depending on the mask it is nice to 'come up for air' as it were, but why all 6 of them?

Looked more like common practice to me.

Not having the nose covered should hardly make any difference so I wouldn't worry needlessly.

What concerns me most about masks is do all the fashion accessory type masks get a boil wash after each use as recommended-I don’t think so