Instore Shopping/Supermarkets During Coronavirus

I worry about the number of people with  no cookery skills whatsoever, who, up until now, have relied on ready meals and takeaways etc. (And there are more than you think.)

My mum, a wartime veteran, could knock up a nutritious family meal from scratch using nothing more than leftovers and scraps, unfortunately those skills seem to have been lost.

I think that accounts for a lot of the panic buying we've seen. Maybe we need a modern day Margaret Paton to show them how to do it. 

Edited by Anna B

47 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

Not a single bag left on the shelves at Tesco on Infirmary Road today. Hardly any dried pasta but plenty of fresh and stuffed pasta. 

My wife called at 3 different shops searching for bread flour earlier today - as you say, not a single bag anywhere.

I'm surprised to hear that certain shops are lifting restrictions.

36 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I worry about the number of people with  no cookery skills whatsoever, who, up until now, have relied on ready meals and takeaways etc. (And there are more than you think.)

My mum, a wartime veteran, could knock up a nutritious family meal from scratch using nothing more than leftovers and scraps, unfortunately those skills seem to have been lost.

I think that accounts for a lot of the panic buying we've seen. Maybe we need a modern day Margaret Paton to show them how to do it. 

I sort of half agree and certaly do think there is a lack of basic cooking knowledge - despite a seemingly endless parade of shows on the TV. 

However, to me, the panic buying hasn't been ready meals or prepared food - its been bizarre things like toilet roll, tinned beans and pasta.

There must be a hell of a lot of people having very boring dinners over the past few weeks.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Isn't  this where carrot cake came from during the war because they'd  no fruit to put in the cake they put in grated carrot?

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

I sort of half agree and certaly do think there is a lack of basic cooking knowledge - despite a seemingly endless parade of shows on the TV. 

However, to me, the panic buying hasn't been ready meals or prepared food - its been bizarre things like toilet roll, tinned beans and pasta.

There must be a hell of a lot of people having very boring dinners over the past few weeks.  

Yes, but at least the baked bean/bog roll combo, shows an element of forward planning.

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

I wouldn't worry now about this. I think as a member earlier said, even the kids want to learn new things like cooking and what's going into it, and plenty of youtube (or whatever kids use) to find info. If not bored yet, soon will be unless allow lots of online gaming - this will perhaps be something discussed in future. keep the kids quiet if in small house/flat, and they online all day. Loads of potential issues for future if people don't stay active mentally whilst in lockdown.

I also mentioned that I not wasting food like I used to (though to be clear, I'm a long way off cooking things yet! :hihi:)

I think a lot of positives will come out of this.

I think I was boring people in the Greta Thunberg thread about climate just a few months ago, saying do you look at where food comes from? (my cases, oranges at the time from South America)

I might have even thrown a few away if I forgot about them in the fridge. Now, no wasting! :hihi:

Good lesson for young people this might turn out to be, food can be scarce even today, so use all of it... some foods won't be readily available. So go back to basics, seasonal food, kids will soon be bored so keen to do new things, like cooking.

Some positives I think in this current issue.

3 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

I don't think people will flock to tv, unless tv changes, to match current shortages, I don't watch them, so perhaps they are already...

if (not happening yet) I want to see how to cook something, i would look on google and most likely watch something on youtube. And I'm in my late 40s!

easier than looking for a book or tv programme on search, , so I assume young ones know even quicker ways! :hihi:

New times (at least for a few weeks), and people get bored. As I said above, could be some positives here.

I've had to change my eating habits, as I normally eat pizza, and usually either overdo it, or burn it. Too risky now, as I don't want any more dental issues.

I'm hoping at some point in the future to enjoy a pasta dish. I'm sure they're nice, but I just don't eat it much. I'm sure they'll be cheap in a few months, as everyone had enough of it! :hihi:

On my local neighbourhood site there was a report of a sudden increase in food waste-possible panic bought perishables gone off before they could be eaten. Also report from supermarket spokesperson that March sales twice those of December 19-madness

Yes, some people have obviously been panic buying but some people are going to the supermarket to buy essentials for themselves and for elderly parents, vulnerable relatives, neighbours, etc.  So please don't immediately think people are being selfish when they have three loaves in their trollies, as they might be the total opposite. 

1 hour ago, Lex Luthor said:

Yes, some people have obviously been panic buying but some people are going to the supermarket to buy essentials for themselves and for elderly parents, vulnerable relatives, neighbours, etc.  So please don't immediately think people are being selfish when they have three loaves in their trollies, as they might be the total opposite. 

Three loaves in a trolley?  THREE loaves? 

I remember my Grandad telling me about the days when people were allowed three loaves. 

14 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Three loaves in a trolley?  THREE loaves? 

I remember my Grandad telling me about the days when people were allowed three loaves. 

Thank you for a much-needed bit of light relief on a terrible news day.

15 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

The thing about canned beans and dried pasta is that they have a very long shelf life, I doubt that people who stocked upon them will be having boring dinners, as they can obtain plentiful fresh food from the supermarkets.

The beans/pasta will be eaten as and when they feel like some, while additionally providing peace of mind in case of food supply lines breaking down completely over the next few months.

Unlike the 'panic buying' which has resulted in well documented cases of spoiled food being dumped in bins, things like canned beans & dried pasta are intelligent things to have stocks of. Even if things return to normal within months, they won't be wasted.

Oats are another good one.

What are the shops like now ? (appreciate experiences may vary)

Not been for a couple of weeks and it was horrendous back then, have things calmed down a bit ? May have to leave the bunker next week for supplies 😐

Oh, and are most of them implementing a one way system? May have to put my shopping list in order then as I'm a bit haphazard at that sort of thing.

Edited by whiteowl