Instore Shopping/Supermarkets During Coronavirus

5 minutes ago, Ruddy76 said:

I think that when a delivery comes in with pasta on it, the staff are straight on their phones texting their family to get in store for it asap. You can't blame them, we'd all probably do it.

Drop everything and rush to the store for a packet of pasta, now that gives a new meaning to panic buying.  :hihi:

48 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

I dont think buying one extra packet of Pasta will cause  a Global food shortage. :hihi:

I suspect much of the shortage wasn't actually caused by "bulk buyers", it was caused by most people buying just a bit more than they would normally, and it's difficult to blame them really. But with finely balanced supply chains it was enough to cause empty shelves. You do have to feel sorry for these manufacturers though, in a few months when this is all over they'll be laying off staff because Joe Public won't need any loo roll (or whatever).... 

1 minute ago, PRESLEY said:

Drop everything and rush to the store for a packet of pasta, now that gives a new meaning to panic buying.  :hihi:

"Panic buying", shouldn't that be "pasta buying"....

38 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

I suspect much of the shortage wasn't actually caused by "bulk buyers", it was caused by most people buying just a bit more than they would normally, and it's difficult to blame them really. But with finely balanced supply chains it was enough to cause empty shelves. You do have to feel sorry for these manufacturers though, in a few months when this is all over they'll be laying off staff because Joe Public won't need any loo roll (or whatever).... 

Initially many people wrongly thought that all the local shops and supermarkets were going to end up shutting for a period and/or that there would be a total lockdown on everyone's movements; this I feel led to all the excess buying, but there was never any need to behave like this and there will be many people feeling a bit silly, and skint now...Good.

Edited by Ruddy76

16 hours ago, makapaka said:

Little positives.

my daughter has always been a fussy eater. She normally has a different tea to me and my mrs.

not any more - we all cook something we all agree we would like based on what we’ve got in.

She helps cook it and knows what’s going in it and she’s tried all sorts of stuff over last week all which she’s eaten.

I've also noticed that I waste far less food!

Things like bread, and milk, I often don't finish and get new. I'm trying to make sure nothing in the fridge goes out of date or wasted.

6 hours ago, max said:

From all the social media and forums around has anybody read anything from anyone who has bulk bought toilet rolls? If so, what reasons have they given?

You'll not find many people admitting that they have bulk bought toilet rolls, its like a little taboo secret. 🤫

18 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I think the bulk buying of toilet rolls has been exaggerated.  The supply problem was caused because more people made sure they bought toilet rolls than normally. If every shopper buys their normal amount of any essential item at the same time then there are going to be supply problems.

If every one bought 1 extra loaf,  (hardly panic buying) then most likely the shelves would soon empty..

Cue front page headlines the next day.. NATIONAL BREAD SHORTAGE HITS BRITAIN.

So every one rushes out and grabs as much bread as possible. similar thing happened with Toilet Rolls.

22 minutes ago, Padders said:

If every one bought 1 extra loaf,  (hardly panic buying) then most likely the shelves would soon empty..

Cue front page headlines the next day.. NATIONAL BREAD SHORTAGE HITS BRITAIN.

So every one rushes out and grabs as much bread as possible. similar thing happened with Toilet Rolls.

But now people cant grab as much as they want because the store staff/checkout staff have their orders to stop people doing this. :roll:

Just now, PRESLEY said:

But now people cant grab as much as they want because the store staff/checkout staff have their orders to stop people doing this. :roll:

Tell me about it, my beer supplies have completely dried up 😒

57 minutes ago, Padders said:

Tell me about it, my beer supplies have completely dried up 😒

Ask your local Pub to relay a pipe to your house so house so can have it on tap.  :hihi:

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 14:15, PRESLEY said:

Ludicrous really, when you think that the type of people who are bulk buying pasta are the type who likely never cook it.

And it's not as if it's hard to make; flour and and egg.   Sorted.

2 hours ago, bendix said:

Ludicrous really, when you think that the type of people who are bulk buying pasta are the type who likely never cook it.

And it's not as if it's hard to make; flour and and egg.   Sorted.

Not a single bag left on the shelves at Tesco on Infirmary Road today. Hardly any dried pasta but plenty of fresh and stuffed pasta. 

Edited by Mister Gee