Instore Shopping/Supermarkets During Coronavirus

8 hours ago, Chaddamp said:

Aldi Norton store Sunday was manic with panic,1've never seen anything like it

I know - I found it all very embarrassing tbh.

Whatever happened to 'keep calm and carry on' ?

7 hours ago, Anna B said:

I agree. The media seem to be feeding the hysteria rather than helping to stop it. 

To be honest I'm confused. 12 cases of Coronavirus in Sheffield at the moment according to lunchtime news (Calendar ITV) How does that justify the panic we're in?

Cases are confirmed but they will all recover most likely and they probably won't be that ill.

44 minutes ago, Padders said:

Panic buying is a phrase made up by the media, sells newspapers etc..

It's actually sensible people stocking up on essential items in anticipation of a worst case scenario .

No, it's people with big cars who can afford to do a massive shop stripping the shelves of pasta and toilet paper so that Mr/Mrs Miggins who are in their 70's can't get any.

Selfish ********

56 minutes ago, Padders said:

Panic buying is a phrase made up by the media, sells newspapers etc..

It's actually sensible people stocking up on essential items in anticipation of a worst case scenario .

Couldn't agree less, theres enough food etc to go round, if idiots buy 20 tubes of toothpaste as I saw in Morrisons at Catcliffe today there won't be, simple as.

8 minutes ago, taxman said:

No, it's people with big cars who can afford to do a massive shop stripping the shelves of pasta and toilet paper so that Mr/Mrs Miggins who are in their 70's can't get any.

Selfish ********

Mr/Mrs Miggins more than likely don't have a big family to support.. people with big cars most likely do, as I say, Its common sense to stock up. I live on my own, I'm shopping tomorrow and will definitely buy a bit extra.

16 minutes ago, Padders said:

Mr/Mrs Miggins more than likely don't have a big family to support.. people with big cars most likely do, as I say, Its common sense to stock up. I live on my own, I'm shopping tomorrow and will definitely buy a bit extra.

Poor Mr and Mrs Miggins finally venture out to the shops because they NEED toilet roll but it's all been bought by Mr  and Mrs selfish git who've filled their land cruiser with it. 

Just buy what you need. Don't be one of them fighting in supermarkets over the last bog roll. 

9 hours ago, Anna B said:

I agree. The media seem to be feeding the hysteria rather than helping to stop it. 

To be honest I'm confused. 12 cases of Coronavirus in Sheffield at the moment according to lunchtime news (Calendar ITV) How does that justify the panic we're in?

Keep in mind they are only testing people who are hospitalised and with symptoms. How many people who have had it, spread it, got it and don’t know theyve got it is anyone’s guess. 

7 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Keep in mind they are only testing people who are hospitalised and with symptoms. How many people who have had it, spread it, got it and don’t know theyve got it is anyone’s guess. 

Yup - increase in cases into vertical take off mode (Scroll down a page or so for the graphs).

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51768274

9 hours ago, Anna B said:

Think that's an interesting point, to consider, but, then again, they do say, don't they, there's nowt so queer as folk.

As shops and supermarkets,retail, etc...are largely Commercial enterprises, then, of course, they have to sell,sell,sell and maximise profits for sharelholders....oh, and maybe protect a few employees jobs when it suits them!!

UNTIL that is, the Draconian Govt and executive finally get their "well prepared" (he said two months ago), act together and start bringing in DRACONIAN laws, or should that be, totally common sensical laws or advice, on "panic buying"!

12 cases of Coronavirus in Sheffield at the moment. How does that justify the panic we're in? Good question.

So, trying to be a good citizen and not selfish, I didn't go in for panic buying as 'food etc not in short supply...'

But now it seems, I might need enough for at least a fortnight and shops are sold out!

I've also just spent 3 hours trying to sign up for online supermarket shopping, got to last bit (confirmation) and the whole lot crashed, not once but twice! 

Now I'm really <removed> off. . . 

Edited by nikki-red

I would expect the shops today with a large amount of people not going to work to be decimated, what then?

I was in Lidl on the Manor on Sunday, l always pick up veg for the Sunday dinner after playing football in the morning, usually there is me 4 or 5 other customers and the checkout staff. This week there were between 200 - 300 people in the store with full trolleys, and l mean full. On entering the store there was a sign limiting people to 3 of any item, however staff were having to take goods off people that had 3 or 4 times more than was expected to be in their trolley's. One thing I did notice is that a very small proportion of the customers represented the demographics of the local area.  By the way this was an observation and in no way meant to be read as anything other than that.

The One Show yesterday had a brief on toilet roll manufacturer's and the message is clearly... DON'T PANIC.

We have tonnes of this stuff in these two factories which were highlighted- every brand and non brand that gets produced.

http://punjabpaper.com/

This was one company 

Edited by Guest