Microsoft Onedrive / Office365

My emplyer use Office 365 wihc includes OneDrive.

Can OneDrive be used to share docuements accross the whole organiation? At the moment, if I put a document n OneDrive, I can see it from any device, but other uses on our network can't see them.

Thanks.

Still need to share it, you normally have a shared folder on OneDrive for the organisation or you can choose who to share it with.

11 hours ago, Grahamfff said:

Can OneDrive be used to share docuements accross the whole organiation? At the moment, if I put a document n OneDrive, I can see it from any device, but other uses on our network can't see them.

It can, but uploading it to teams or setting up a document library in Share point might be better.

If you want to continue with Onedrive, just right click it it and click SHARE to bring up the settings box.

https://www.dummies.com/software/microsoft-office/how-to-share-files-with-others-with-onedrive/

26 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

It can, but uploading it to teams or setting up a document library in Share point might be better.

If you want to continue with Onedrive, just right click it it and click SHARE to bring up the settings box.

https://www.dummies.com/software/microsoft-office/how-to-share-files-with-others-with-onedrive/

Thanks - so with OneDrive I'd need to invite everyone to see the document - I can't just drop files there and everyone can see them?

If so, then I think you're probably right that I need to look at Sharepoint instead.

1 hour ago, Grahamfff said:

Thanks - so with OneDrive I'd need to invite everyone to see the document - I can't just drop files there and everyone can see them?

You get the choice - to either email the link to your contacts, or just copy the link and share it any other way you choose.

At that point you can also enable settings to allow others to edit it, or you can password protect it, or make access time limited.

2dd4b7ac-0014-4689-a583-7fb2e439405a.png

Edited by alchresearch

I wouldn't bother with OneDrive for sharing something across an organisation; use Sharepoint or just a plan old network share for that. OneDrive is great for sharing things between a team but not for loads of people.

20 hours ago, the_bloke said:

I wouldn't bother with OneDrive for sharing something across an organisation; use Sharepoint or just a plan old network share for that. OneDrive is great for sharing things between a team but not for loads of people.

It all depends on the material.  I share stuff through SharePoint for people in my organisation because its a "closed" system that requires them to login,

But I use my personal onedrive to store some Peugeot diagnostic  files and documents because I can easily set the folder to be visible to all.

I assume the OP uses OneDrive for Business like I do at work; and I agree it's a faff to add multiple users to a list of people to share the file with. Alternatively you can create a link you can share with anyone in the organisation (anyone who can login) and just email it to a distribution list, but it's still a step you don't need to do if you just upload a file to Sharepoint or similar.

On 15/03/2020 at 22:15, Grahamfff said:

My emplyer use Office 365 wihc includes OneDrive.

Thanks.

As people have suggested, SharePoint is the best method of sharing within the organisation (and outside too) but that may be "controlled", i.e. you may be have your own site with restrictions on what and who you can share this with.

We have controls in our organisation for OneDrive for Business too, for data protection we restrict that to only sharing within the organisation and even then that's controlled. We wish people to use OneDrive solely for personal storage, anything "shared" should be in SharePoint.  

So those restrictions may be the reason others can't see the document. Your IT people or your "site owner" can best advise.

In respece of One Drive be sure to sync with other devices so that you have a 'backup'. A user at work changed roles, IT overwrote the old One Drive account with new one and everything gone because user had stored directly to one drive and had not synced with other devices - lot of personal material lost.

48 minutes ago, swarfendor437 said:

In respece of One Drive be sure to sync with other devices so that you have a 'backup'. A user at work changed roles, IT overwrote the old One Drive account with new one and everything gone because user had stored directly to one drive and had not synced with other devices - lot of personal material lost.

That's just a bad backup strategy and user error, nothing to do with One Drive itself. With regards to syncing if you delete something from one device it'll remove it from the others. Any cloud provider is the same.