Diarrhoea And Vomiting Virus In Sheffield

Vommiting and diarrhoea virus, has anyone got this at the moment? Cant find anywhere online to get Dioralyte in sheffield.

45 minutes ago, Jason302 said:

Vommiting and diarrhoea virus, has anyone got this at the moment? Cant find anywhere online to get Dioralyte in sheffield.

Go to the shop

12 minutes ago, Happ said:

Go to the shop

given the symptons and general panic atm then it might be better to send someone else to the shop

If you have some fruit juice and some salt, making your own rehydration salts is quite simple.  Mix orange juice (or other fruit juice of your choice) half and half with water and then mix in half a flat teaspoon (2.5ml) per litre of salt, stirring well.  Sip plenty throughout the day, storing the jug in the fridge between fill ups to keep it in good condition.

If you happen to have any bananas, eat some of one of those too, as they are a fabulous source of potassium.  Other sources of potassium include oranges, sweet potatoes, melon, apricots and dried fruit, if you can stand to try any of these. 

1 hour ago, medusa said:

If you have some fruit juice and some salt, making your own rehydration salts is quite simple.  Mix orange juice (or other fruit juice of your choice) half and half with water and then mix in half a flat teaspoon (2.5ml) per litre of salt, stirring well.  Sip plenty throughout the day, storing the jug in the fridge between fill ups to keep it in good condition.

If you happen to have any bananas, eat some of one of those too, as they are a fabulous source of potassium.  Other sources of potassium include oranges, sweet potatoes, melon, apricots and dried fruit, if you can stand to try any of these. 

I think you may have missed out the sugar? Normally around 6 teaspoons will do. I remember from years ago that it was "a handful of sugar and a good pinch of salt."

https://rehydrate.org/solutions/homemade-ors.pdf

Edited by apelike

Thankyou 

10 hours ago, apelike said:

I think you may have missed out the sugar? Normally around 6 teaspoons will do. I remember from years ago that it was "a handful of sugar and a good pinch of salt."

would have thought the fruit juice had enough sugar 

I had it a fortnight ago - it was very unpleasant.

15 hours ago, apelike said:

As @andyofborg said, that's why you include fruit juice, which is packed with fructose, a sugar that gets into your bloodstream even faster than glucose or dextrose and many times faster than sucrose.

I'm a biochemist, I don't miss things like that :)

On 15/03/2020 at 16:30, Jason302 said:

Sounds like the Norovirus.

6 hours ago, medusa said:

As @andyofborg said, that's why you include fruit juice, which is packed with fructose, a sugar that gets into your bloodstream even faster than glucose or dextrose and many times faster than sucrose.

I'm a biochemist, I don't miss things like that :)

My God... 10 teaspoons of sugar in 1 ltr of fruit juice :shocked:. I honestly had no idea it was that much so sorry about that. It's probably because I only get the diluted stuff for the grandkids that has no added sugar.