Is It Time To Nationalise All Private Hospitals ?

10 hours ago, Longcol said:

Going back to my days of working in the NHS 30 odd years ago I'm fairly sure the private sector didn't contribute towards training for doctors and nurses etc or make a realistic contribution to research and development - therefore "private" medicine subsidised by the state / NHS.

30 years ago no one paid to go to university either. Does that mean all private businesses employing graduates were 'subsidised' too?

13 hours ago, the_bloke said:

30 years ago no one paid to go to university either. Does that mean all private businesses employing graduates were 'subsidised' too?

If they recruited graduates with  a view to them going on to obtain a professional qualification - eg architect, solicitor, accountant - the company paid for the additional training. In medicine the taxpayer paid.

7 hours ago, Longcol said:

If they recruited graduates with  a view to them going on to obtain a professional qualification - eg architect, solicitor, accountant - the company paid for the additional training. In medicine the taxpayer paid.

That's the risk any business takes; you take someone on, train them up and they might leave. You repeat for their replacement. The taxpayer pays for hundreds of thousands of people, not just in the NHS, to have further training in the public sector and those people may then leave and work in the private sector. They pay their taxes and the money goes back into the system.

How do you feel about all those doctors and nurses from overseas who are trained up in their respective countries then come and work in the NHS and give their taxes to the UK? The country or organisation who paid for their training gets nothing and the NHS reaps the benefit.

Having spent a good few hours in a private hospital locally today with a close relative, I would say that the facility would make an amazing Coronavirus isolation unit. Separate rooms with ensuite facilities. and a small ICU with ventilators . Exactly what is required.

Edited by Daven

Can't see bumbling Boris doing anything.  The more I see of him, the less confident I am of his handling of the situation.