Snig Hill Cafe

Anyone one remember the name of the café that was across Snig Hill from the Black Swan pub ? I think it was demolished around 1974ish to make way for the building of (the then) new law courts.

I remember the cafe. I'm pretty sure it was called the Centre Spot.

7 minutes ago, Rollypolly said:

I remember the cafe. I'm pretty sure it was called the Centre Spot.

Yes, it was the Centre Spot.

16 hours ago, hillsbro said:

Yes, it was the Centre Spot.

Thanks for the replies, I was thinking the name was something like that but thought there might have been a café of a similar name in the Pond Street bus station complex.

I must have a memory block.For the life of me I cannot remember this cafe.

I must have been up and down Snig Hill hundreds of times from 1945 to 1966

was it opened after 1966?

I'm sure it was still there in 1968 because I remember walking past it on my way to Bridge Street bus station.

1 hour ago, ken said:

I must have a memory block.For the life of me I cannot remember this cafe.

I must have been up and down Snig Hill hundreds of times from 1945 to 1966

was it opened after 1966?

It was at the top of Snig Hill at the Castle Street/Water Lane corner, I think there was a driving school next to it on the Snig Hill side.

26 minutes ago, Rollypolly said:

I'm sure it was still there in 1968 because I remember walking past it on my way to Bridge Street bus station.

My wife worked at Richard Sons wholesale warehouse at the bottom of Snig Hill, on the same side until about '69. If it's the one with a down stairs room, she remembers they did a good pancake.

1 hour ago, beezerboy said:

My wife worked at Richard Sons wholesale warehouse at the bottom of Snig Hill, on the same side until about '69. If it's the one with a down stairs room, she remembers they did a good pancake.

1 hour ago, beezerboy said:

I don't know if it had a downstairs room as it was a large wooden one storey structure as opposed to bricks, nearly next door to it on the Snig Hill side was Harroll's, who sold curtain materials, drapery etc.

7 hours ago, Rollypolly said:

To judge from entries in Kelly's directories it opened some time before 1964. The buildings were demolished in 1971 and a photo on the "picturesheffield" site dated April 1971 shows a Centre Spot café on King Street - see here: https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s40809&pos=1&action=zoom&id=120411

Edited by hillsbro

5 hours ago, hillsbro said:

To judge from entries in Kelly's directories it opened some time before 1964. The buildings were demolished in 1971 and a photo on the "picturesheffield" site dated April 1971 shows a Centre Spot café on King Street - see here: https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s40809&pos=1&action=zoom&id=120411

That's not what I remember. The one I'm thinking of was actually on Snig Hill, just at the end of the police station that is there now. It was a single storey building. I was certain it was the Centre Spot but I'm obviously mistaken. That's going to drive me mad now but at least it'll take my mind off the Corona virus.

7 hours ago, hillsbro said:

Funnily enough altho' I recall the one on Snig Hill I don't remember the one on King Street and that was later. Must have walked past it many times.

Edited by St Petre
add