Snig Hill Cafe

4 hours ago, ken said:

I must have a huge gap in my memory. I remember Red Circle library. Leyland paints. Was it Avery scales, a candy store...

Hi ken - as St Petre noted, Avery's was just round the corner on Bridge Street. Here is a scan from the 1954 directory. https://i.postimg.cc/X7f8RPCj/Snig-Hill-1954.jpg

1 hour ago, St Petre said:

Also in that vicinity between the Centre Spot café and Sugg's sportswear was another log cabin type of structure that sold newspapers, cigarettes etc  from big drop down window, a place similar to the one in Bridge Street bus station, perhaps the same owners ?

Turner's newsgents was on Castle Street near Sugg's, but I don't think (?) it was a wooden structure. Anyway here is a 1974 scan. https://i.postimg.cc/tT7bfPvb/Castle-Street-1974.jpg

Edited by hillsbro

The newsagents I do remember. I used to buy  my cigarette Tabasco and liquorice rolling paper there, along with the Daily Worker and the Daily Telegraph

1 hour ago, ken said:

The newsagents I do remember. I used to buy  my cigarette Tabasco and liquorice rolling paper there, along with the Daily Worker and the Daily Telegraph

Lol, what an eclectic mix.

Mum and I would often call in the Cafe after our trudge round the market, for a lovely Cuppa and Toasted Tea Cake, yum! before getting the bus home outside Castle House.

Shame when they pulled it down.  Seem to recall it had a large 'wallpaper picture'  on one wall!?