Snig Hill Cafe

I remember my mum taking me in a cafe that was built of wood, it was on the corner of Snig Hill and Castle Street,  just above where theThe Police Headquarters is now. They did a lovely instant all milk coffee and egg salad roll sandwich. Was it called, The New Stand Cafe?  I remember going in one with that name but it could be somewhere else.

Edited by hauxwell

8 hours ago, Rollypolly said:

...The one I'm thinking of was actually on Snig Hill, just at the end of the police station that is there now. It was a single storey building...

It was actually the Centre Spot on Snig Hill that opened some time before 1964. The buildings there were demolished in 1971 and so it by then must have moved to King Street, as shown in the April 1971 photo. Here is a link to a scan from a 1970 Kelly's directory showing businesses on that part of Snig Hill. https://i.postimg.cc/6QqG1xY7/001.jpg

Edited by hillsbro

56 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I remember my mum taking me in a cafe that was built of wood, it was on the corner of Snig Hill and Castle Street,  just above where theThe Police Headquarters is now. They did a lovely instant all milk coffee and egg salad roll sandwich. Was it called, The New Stand Cafe?  I remember going in one with that name but it could be somewhere else.

The New Stand Café was located on Penistone Rd/Halifax Rd  opposite where the new Sainsburys is.

2 hours ago, Padders said:

The New Stand Café was located on Penistone Rd/Halifax Rd  opposite where the new Sainsburys is.

Yes there was a cafe there, you are probably right.

4 hours ago, hillsbro said:

It was actually the Centre Spot on Snig Hill that opened some time before 1964. The buildings there were demolished in 1971 and so it by then must have moved to King Street, as shown in the April 1971 photo. Here is a link to a scan from a 1970 Kelly's directory showing businesses on that part of Snig Hill. https://i.postimg.cc/6QqG1xY7/001.jpg

I seem to remember on the corner of snig hill and castle street a shop called buywell electronics

13 minutes ago, MICK BADGER said:

I seem to remember on the corner of snig hill and castle street a shop called buywell electronics

Yes,  the Kelly's directories for 1973-74 list "Buy Well, hardware dealers and electrical goods retailers" at No 1 Castle Street.

9 minutes ago, hillsbro said:

Yes,  the Kelly's directories for 1973-74 list "Buy Well, hardware dealers and electrical goods retailers" at No 1 Castle Street.

thanks for that hillsbro. do buy well show up any earlier?

15 minutes ago, MICK BADGER said:

thanks for that hillsbro. do buy well show up any earlier?

They are not in the 1965 directory (compiled in mid-1964). The next one I have is the 1971 edition and they are listed there.

2 minutes ago, hillsbro said:

They are not in the 1965 directory (compiled in mid-1964). The next one I have is the 1971 edition and they are listed there.

many thanks

7 hours ago, hillsbro said:

I must have a huge gap in my memory.I remember Red Circle library.Leyland paints.Was it Avery scales, a candy store.Too many dead brain cells in my 81 year old head

2 hours ago, ken said:

I must have a huge gap in my memory.I remember Red Circle library.Leyland paints.Was it Avery scales, a candy store.Too many dead brain cells in my 81 year old head

Avery scales was actually on Bridge Street  near the Snig Hill corner, the building is still there with Howell's solicitors as the tenants.

5 hours ago, hillsbro said:

Also in that vicinity between the Centre Spot café and Sugg's sportswear was another log cabin type of structure that sold newspapers, cigarettes etc  from big drop down window, a place similar to the one in Bridge Street bus station, perhaps the same owners ?