Clamped Untaxed Cars

13 hours ago, Resident said:

Exchanging a paper licence to a photocard doesn't cost anything.....

Oh yes it DOES.

It's  £20.00. And you have to provide an UP TO DATE photo.

Also you need to Re-new your driving licence EVERY 10 years. (Another £20.00. FEE.)

If you don't re-new your licence your Insurance is Invalid in the event of a claim.

Be-aware  of the FACTS before you post such claims. 

On 14/03/2020 at 10:32, Elmambo said:

Whilst some of you extremists out there are busy promoting your North Korean style  authoritarian state and advocating  death by crushing  for very minor infringements of the law, you are failing to highlight the con trick the government  works on us - everytime a car changes hands it gets an extra months tax;  eg  I sold my car a couple of day's ago, I will not get a refund for this month and the new owner will have to tax the vehicle from the first of the month - hence an extra months  revenue.  Nice little earner  eh !  

Your loss is absolutely down to your own stupidity.

Why sell your car MID month?

It's folks like YOU that are making the GOV'T money.

When selling a car that IS taxed, sell it at the END of the month.

Problem solved.

You get a free photocard  Driving Licence in exchange for the paper one  when you’re 70 and it has to be renewed (free) every 3 years.

37 minutes ago, Mossway said:

You get a free photocard  Driving Licence in exchange for the paper one  when you’re 70 and it has to be renewed (free) every 3 years.

Yes, sorry - forgot that caveat.  I don't think that's what the OP was alluding to though.

If they don't need to exchange for other reasons (unusual, but not impossible), some paper licences could be around for another 30 years!

22 hours ago, zach said:

They don't have a clue IMO, 5 years ago diesel was the best thing since sliced bread, now they are going to kill everyone! I'm under no illusion that any fossil fuelled transport kick nasties out, but the way they grade is pointless. I think in reality they lost too much cash as manufacturers quickly got cars under the 100g/km and the gov lost a boat load of cash, easy answer put the price back up...as they have. I'm a bit undecided on classic cars and don't own one any longer, maybe a set £30 across the board for them? Another thing I notice in these type of chats, no one mentions those nasty little 2 strokes and their emissions to tax ratio, a quick read will give people an idea of what I mean.

Modern fuel injected 2 strokes with special oil are more environmentally friendly than equivalent 4 stroke.

Said it before but...., i pay around 50p a mile in road fund licence as i rarely use the car, the annual mileage is known when MOT'ed so there should be a refund for people who leave the car and walk to the gym. Present system encourages people to use there car as the have paid so much. My car  does a lot less damage to the environment than most hybrids and even some electric cars but i have to pay a lot more. Or do the environmental tax at source on the fuel itself .... oh wait they already do that.

Go back to road fund license being tax to pay for the roads - proportional to the damage/wear done by the vehicle oh and lets have that little bit of paper back for the window, make it out of recycling the tons of paper crap pushed through my letter box each day. Now look  you've set me off again.

6 hours ago, FinBak said:

6 hours ago, henrypond said:

Obviously it's changed since I did mine then because I wasn't charged. 

My photo was taken (and was when I renewed it) from my passport document. 

In any case if you're still driving in 2033 you will be required to exchange it. (ref: MSE) 

3 hours ago, Arthur Ritus said:

Modern fuel injected 2 strokes with special oil are more environmentally friendly than equivalent 4 stroke.

Most, if not all modern engines are more environmentally friendly but we are spoon fed misleading information about how bad, there is an element of truth, the rest is a good excuse to charge more for tax. Any two stroke will be less so, for starters the power doesn't kick in until high revs...more revs = more exhaust, more exhaust = more naties. Not that you need to but I'd find it interesting reading where you got the information from. (Ex mechanic from many years ago so I like to read such things)

Have a google about, i first read the statement quite a few years ago made by evinrude their etac engine but other manufactures are developing similar, KTM for one. I have read Subaru were working on one.

You get better torque for the same revs with 2 stroke, either can have valve timing tuned to peak at whatever revs you want, it was just easier with no valves to bounce. Firing every stroke a big advantage in engines with less than 3 cylinders unless connected to a big flywheel and then having 4 cyl 2 stroke is like having a 8 cyl very smooth very responsive.

My old GPZ600r was Kawasaki's 4 stroke 4 cyl challenge to the suzuki / yamaha 500cc 2 stroke 4 cyl bikes but made considerably less power/ torque  peaking at  1000 rpm more than they did and heavier to boot. 

And then there's the diesel 2 stroke and the king of engines the Deltic (max power @ 1500rpm) first loco that beat steam on BHP, so good one loco got pulled out of a museum for active service twice, but as hammy used to say that's another story.

On 13/03/2020 at 23:17, Dardandec said:

The biggest problem here, is when people buy a car they don't realise it has to be taxed by them, the new owner. I still see plenty of car adverts with the age old "taxed and tested" chess nut. There will always be an evasion issue, but this is the biggy 

If you ever move house, you wont have any option.

Its off topic - but i've just bought a property from a High St lender with a mortgage and no photo id required.