Clamped Untaxed Cars

45 minutes ago, Elmambo said:

Whilst some of you extremists out there are busy promoting your North Korean style  authoritarian state and advocating  death by crushing  for very minor infringements of the law, you are failing to highlight the con trick the government  works on us - everytime a car changes hands it gets an extra months tax;  eg  I sold my car a couple of day's ago, I will not get a refund for this month and the new owner will have to tax the vehicle from the first of the month - hence an extra months  revenue.  Nice little earner  eh !  

I agree an ill thought out law, it is madness that the tax does not stay with the car when it is sold. However that does not excuse those who drive around without tax, not by mistake but because they don’t think they will be caught or could not care less anyway

14 hours ago, Mossway said:

I may be mistaken but didn’t the government make a fair amount  of money by charging, in effect, double  VEL Duty during the month the ownership of the car changed by charging  both the vendor and the purchaser during that month ?

No, it seemed like they were in for a nice little windfall by conning people in that way but it's not worked out.

Turns out the paper disc was a really good reminder for the general public, now people are forgetting to renew so the DVLA have lost millions.

3 hours ago, geared said:

Turns out the paper disc was a really good reminder for the general public, now people are forgetting to renew so the DVLA have lost millions.

Why is forgetting to renew any more of a problem now? You still get a reminder through the post same as you did for a paper disc.

5 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Hi Zach my my grievance is with big brother telling us what car they think you should drive by introducing these silly incentives. buy new or smaller cars pay 0 or very little money. £20 towards the wear and tear of using a motor vehicle on the road for a year is ridiculous. dare to buy a big car, and it feels like your being penalised for being above your station. Some of my vehicles fall into the bracket where they don't need an MOT or Tax, how does that make sense ?

even us Classic car owners can't get our heads around that one.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

a car is more than A to B or youv'e missed the point.

They don't have a clue IMO, 5 years ago diesel was the best thing since sliced bread, now they are going to kill everyone! I'm under no illusion that any fossil fuelled transport kick nasties out, but the way they grade is pointless. I think in reality they lost too much cash as manufacturers quickly got cars under the 100g/km and the gov lost a boat load of cash, easy answer put the price back up...as they have. I'm a bit undecided on classic cars and don't own one any longer, maybe a set £30 across the board for them? Another thing I notice in these type of chats, no one mentions those nasty little 2 strokes and their emissions to tax ratio, a quick read will give people an idea of what I mean.

10 minutes ago, zach said:

They don't have a clue IMO, 5 years ago diesel was the best thing since sliced bread, now they are going to kill everyone! I'm under no illusion that any fossil fuelled transport kick nasties out, but the way they grade is pointless. I think in reality they lost too much cash as manufacturers quickly got cars under the 100g/km and the gov lost a boat load of cash, easy answer put the price back up...as they have. I'm a bit undecided on classic cars and don't own one any longer, maybe a set £30 across the board for them? Another thing I notice in these type of chats, no one mentions those nasty little 2 strokes and their emissions to tax ratio, a quick read will give people an idea of what I mean.

Come on you know you'd just love a Wartburg estate really,

or even a nice KH Kawasaki with expansion pipes.

Ah! the smell of Napalm in the morning.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

We all had Classic cars - well £50 cars that no one else wanted - Happy Daze first Proper car £40 Zephyr 6 - Happy Daze indeed.

1 hour ago, Jim Hardie said:

Why is forgetting to renew any more of a problem now? You still get a reminder through the post same as you did for a paper disc.

I guess people either forgot or just didn't open the letter?

Tax taking went right down due to the change tho

52 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Come on you know you'd just love a Wartburg estate really,

or even a nice KH Kawasaki with expansion pipes.

Ah! the smell of Napalm in the morning.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

We all had Classic cars - well £50 cars that no one else wanted - Happy Daze first Proper car £40 Zephyr 6 - Happy Daze indeed.

I had a few KHs in my younger days, then graduated to a kettle then a Z1 as I had become more sensible (not really) 😉

I'll give the Wartburg a miss though.

26 minutes ago, geared said:

I guess people either forgot or just didn't open the letter?

Tax taking went right down due to the change tho

It did but I don't think the reason was forgetfulness. 

8 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Exactly. Did people forget to get an MOT every year too?

On 13/03/2020 at 15:39, willman said:

Why?  I don't own photo id and have no intention of paying additional money to have one.  

Exchanging a paper licence to a photocard doesn't cost anything.....

8 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

It did but I don't think the reason was forgetfulness. 

Agree

12 hours ago, Resident said:

Exchanging a paper licence to a photocard doesn't cost anything.....

https://www.gov.uk/exchange-paper-driving-licence

"You’ll need to:

• pay £20 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron or Delta debit or credit card"

Plus paying for the renewals.  Paper licences don't expire.