Clamped Untaxed Cars

5 hours ago, zach said:

the price is what it is. Choose wisely when buying new or used if you want cheaper tax.

this really get's me - Why should you have to choose wisely? define Wisely? whats the wisdom in my sons car only paying a few pounds a year road tax and my car having to pay £100's? he uses his daily I use mine not as much these days. road tax was for the amount of wear and tear not as a penelty for enjoying bigger vehicles. the logic doesn't make sence. 

we've gone past the cap in hand to 'excuse me sir but what size car am i allowed to drive'

Enjoy your motoring while you all can.

Bigger is better.

A car has to be more than  A to B or youv'e missed the point.

7 hours ago, DavidFrance said:

More's the pity. Valid photo ID driving licences should be be a requirement when taxing AND insuring a vehicle and the law should be catching up on what I suspect is a very large number of foreign licences which are either not genuine or invalid for other reasons.  And it ought to be an offence to be driving a vehicle without a valid photo id licence in your physical possession. 

Fully agree. No reson not to have a photo one any longer. I do think it should be a free update though.

4 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

this really get's me - Why should you have to choose wisely? define Wisely? whats the wisdom in my sons car only paying a few pounds a year road tax and my car having to pay £100's? he uses his daily I use mine not as much these days. road tax was for the amount of wear and tear not as a penelty for enjoying bigger vehicles. the logic doesn't make sence. 

we've gone past the cap in hand to 'excuse me sir but what size car am i allowed to drive'

Enjoy your motoring while you all can.

Bigger is better.

A car has to be more than  A to B or youv'e missed the point.

I was aiming my reply at people that wanted cheaper TAX. IMO it should be on the fuel, as such a PAYG system. This usually causes arguments but I feel it would be the best and fairest option...like I said, it's my opinion. My last two were £0 and £20, my next buy won't be limited to how much tax it is, it will go on the car I want.

7 hours ago, bassett one said:

theres been millions of pounds lost since they scrapped having the disc,

I may be mistaken but didn’t the government make a fair amount  of money by charging, in effect, double  VEL Duty during the month the ownership of the car changed by charging  both the vendor and the purchaser during that month ?

7 hours ago, willman said:

Why?  I don't own photo id and have no intention of paying additional money to have one.  

With you on that  willman.  Valid driving licence on paper, haven't got caught by any costs to renew it.

The biggest problem here, is when people buy a car they don't realise it has to be taxed by them, the new owner. I still see plenty of car adverts with the age old "taxed and tested" chess nut. There will always be an evasion issue, but this is the biggy 

7 hours ago, willman said:

Why?  I don't own photo id and have no intention of paying additional money to have one.  

If you ever move house, you wont have any option.

4 minutes ago, Dardandec said:

The biggest problem here, is when people buy a car they don't realise it has to be taxed by them, the new owner. I still see plenty of car adverts with the age old "taxed and tested" chess nut. There will always be an evasion issue, but this is the biggy 

True, but if he doesn't he has a valid driving licence.  

4 minutes ago, jane2008 said:

True, but if he doesn't he has a valid driving licence.  

Correct. They were on about making photo ID driving licences compulsory a few years ago but moth balled the idea.  

Well youve lost me a bit on the licence thing I thought more people may have seen clamped cars as I have seen about  7 round about sheffield in the last week  I will fess up though  when i transferred ownership from my daughter to me I completely forgot about the tax not being transferable  and drove around for about a month  before my daughter got a refund through the post which made us realise !!! So its easy done I guess but I agree its not fair that lots of people dont bother 

19 hours ago, bassett one said:

theres been millions of pounds lost since they scrapped having the disc,but the favourite for many without insurance and even a licence was they would buy a cheapo car with a 12 month tax disc and drive that around,on the face of it looking legal,where now is it not a offence to sell a car and pass on the tax as such?

You cannot ‘pass on the tax’ if you sell or buy a second hand car. That’s been the case since tax discs were abolished. 

10 hours ago, Dardandec said:

People advertise vehicles as tested and taxed but then put to get you home.  When I sell a car i say to the buyer I will give you  x amount of time to get home then I will cancel the tax on said vehicle 

13 hours ago, zach said:

Fully agree. No reson not to have a photo one any longer. I do think it should be a free update though.

I was aiming my reply at people that wanted cheaper TAX. IMO it should be on the fuel, as such a PAYG system. This usually causes arguments but I feel it would be the best and fairest option...like I said, it's my opinion. My last two were £0 and £20, my next buy won't be limited to how much tax it is, it will go on the car I want.

Hi Zach my my grievance is with big brother telling us what car they think you should drive by introducing these silly incentives. buy new or smaller cars pay 0 or very little money. £20 towards the wear and tear of using a motor vehicle on the road for a year is ridiculous. dare to buy a big car, and it feels like your being penalised for being above your station. Some of my vehicles fall into the bracket where they don't need an MOT or Tax, how does that make sense ?

even us Classic car owners can't get our heads around that one.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

a car is more than A to B or youv'e missed the point.

Whilst some of you extremists out there are busy promoting your North Korean style  authoritarian state and advocating  death by crushing  for very minor infringements of the law, you are failing to highlight the con trick the government  works on us - everytime a car changes hands it gets an extra months tax;  eg  I sold my car a couple of day's ago, I will not get a refund for this month and the new owner will have to tax the vehicle from the first of the month - hence an extra months  revenue.  Nice little earner  eh !