Jump to content

Spending £1.5bn Moving Sheaf Street

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Bigal1 said:

Going back to the hotel one might have thought that as it is valuable to Sheffield and it pays a lot in rates to the council then when it was being planned that as it can not have its own parking then they might have negotiated with the council for a dropping off space outside.

 

secondly in view of the fact that there is no parking I would expect them to provide clear directional guidance on their web site and not follow the signs to Sheffield which I am guessing most guests would have the common sense to work that bit out for themselves. See below

 

Located in the heart of Sheffield, the hotel is easily accessible via most major transport links. Guests travelling by road should exit the M1 at J33 and follow the signs to Sheffield. Both Sheffield station and airport are also in close proximity.

There is space to drop off outside, the hotel choose to use it as parking.

 

Valet parking is also available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

There is space to drop off outside, the hotel choose to use it as parking.

 

Valet parking is also available.

So they say!  Lol

 

No valet parking when I was there!  "Sorry luv"!

 

And no space to get anywhere near the door. Service vans, some double parked!

Edited by trastrick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back on topic now please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others  have posted. They (scc) never ever improve on things. The Parkhill flats multicolour scheme is an absolute eyesore. That could have looked so smart with grey panels. Instead it looks horrific. cheap and dowdy.

 

No doubt fat wedges of the £1,5bn will magically disappear. 

 

Their (very) limited imagination was laid bare to see when the filled in the "Hole in the Road" that could have been a amazing centre piece. 

 

Typical public  town hall  mindset - what can "they" get out of it.

 

Anyway. not to worry I never set foot in Sheffield centre these days...despite living in Sheffield my whole life.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/03/2020 at 13:42, trastrick said:

 

On Sheffield train station. Drag two heavy suitcases up and down platform stairways, then told. "The 8.45 to London will now leave from platform...."

 

On the train, nowhere to put the suitcases, and then another "sorry luv" apology, "The buffet car will not be open today due to......." No morning coffee for 3 hours or so.

 

How dated.

"The buffet car will not be open today due to......." none having been built for decades.

Journey time to London is an hour less now so you won't have to wait so long for coffee- or you can buy from the trolley at your seat or at one of the four+ outlets that provide "fresh coffee" on the station.

In Sheffield we have had lifts to all platforms for decades.

The London trains depart from platform 2 or 5 - no staircases involved if there is a platform change.

Luggage storage is certainly less now there is no "guards van" but at least the storage spaces are in the carriage at floor level.

 

Nostalgia (and moaning) aren't what it they used to be.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mrcharlie said:

As others  have posted. They (scc) never ever improve on things. The Parkhill flats multicolour scheme is an absolute eyesore. That could have looked so smart with grey panels. Instead it looks horrific. cheap and dowdy.

 

No doubt fat wedges of the £1,5bn will magically disappear. 

 

Their (very) limited imagination was laid bare to see when the filled in the "Hole in the Road" that could have been a amazing centre piece. 

 

Typical public  town hall  mindset - what can "they" get out of it.

 

Anyway. not to worry I never set foot in Sheffield centre these days...despite living in Sheffield my whole life.  

I'm sure you will be missed.

 

The hole in the road was never an amazing centerpiece and was removed for the far better introduction of a brand new tram system.

 

This very thread sums up the problem with lots of people in the city.  The second any idea of major improvements to infrastructure like the Sheaf Square development is suggested everybody starts with their nostalgia nonsense, don't like change, all better back in the old days moronic mentality.    Half the time they our morning about stuff that didn't even exist in the way their exaggerated and rose tinted vision describes.

 

How on earth is a city ever supposed to evolve and develop to suit the needs and tastes of the new generation if it's constantly shouted down by dinosaurs of the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, mrcharlie said:

As others  have posted. They (scc) never ever improve on things. The Parkhill flats multicolour scheme is an absolute eyesore. That could have looked so smart with grey panels. Instead it looks horrific. cheap and dowdy.

 

No doubt fat wedges of the £1,5bn will magically disappear. 

 

Their (very) limited imagination was laid bare to see when the filled in the "Hole in the Road" that could have been a amazing centre piece. 

 

Typical public  town hall  mindset - what can "they" get out of it.

 

Anyway. not to worry I never set foot in Sheffield centre these days...despite living in Sheffield my whole life.  

That's just demonstrably not true. SCC have improved lots of things, as has been pointed out in this thread. Also, Park Hill wasn't done by the council, it was Urban Splash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Imagine a new campus.

 

The buildings are laid out. The spaces are filled with grass and trees, and flower beds. The walkways between them are geometrically paved, according to the approved plan.

 

It is found that people will not restrict themselves to the walkways, and even ignore the ever present ominous "Do Not" signs, especially when it's raining. so muddy shortcuts are routinely made. The maintenance staff are permanently employed in replacing worn grass, flower beds and dying trees.

 

Then imagine the same scenario, leaving out the walkways, just the grass.  Eventually the worn walking routes become clear, and that's where they put the walkways, then the flower beds and trees, once and done.

 

An example of top down planning by committee vs bottom up, common sense planning, by any experienced gardener.

Edited by trastrick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, trastrick said:

Imagine a new campus.

 

The buildings are laid out. The spaces are filled with grass and trees, and flower beds. The walkways between them are geometrically paved, according to the approved plan.

 

It is found that people will not restrict themselves to the walkways, and even ignore the ever present ominous "Do Not" signs, especially when it's raining. so muddy shortcuts are routinely made. The maintenance staff are permanently employed in replacing worn grass, flower beds and dying trees.

 

Then imagine the same scenario, leaving out the walkways, just the grass.  Eventually the worn walking routes become clear, and that's where they put the walkways, then the flower beds and trees, once and done.

 

An example of top down planning by committee vs bottom up, common sense planning, by any experienced gardener.

So that's why there are so many gardens on the tops of new buildings, irate gardeners fed up of people using their gardens.

Perhaps they should then ask doorman to put the doors in the right place, the window cleaners to decide the number of windows then the lift operator to decide how may floors, they could get together and decide between themselves. Who needs a committee?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Who needs a committee?

Among others, those who do not have to take personal responsibility if things **** up?

 

Edited by trastrick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, trastrick said:

Among others, those who do not have to take personal responsibility if things **** up?

 

Apart from missing the point, do you really think that structures are created by committee?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/03/2020 at 15:38, Baron99 said:

Look nice on paper but I can forsee that moving the road to the back of the station, will generate complaints from those living in the Parkhill flats. 

 

I doubt that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.