Jump to content

Spending £1.5bn Moving Sheaf Street

Recommended Posts

as for the sheaf-street proposal, i like it.

 

does it increase train capacity as the station?

 

(i understand that's a current problem?)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great idea I think. I travel a lot and have seen on the continent how train station development can kick-start regeneration, the Dutch did this as a response to the financial crisis and it worked really well.

businesses and residents like to be close to major transport hubs so if this frees up more land for this it can only be a good thing.

Also it will join the train station to the city centre and make a much nicer entrance to the city centre for visitors.

i get the historical criticism of SCC but they have to look at maximising the potential benefits of HS2 and this shows they are serious about it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, trastrick said:

Theoretically I agree!

 

Yes, I too can read a map. Took me all of 5 seconds! 

 

But, unfortunately I had a car!  Lol

So?  It's easily done in a car.   

 

The hotel itself has no parking but one assumes you checked that when you booked it.   There is on street parking next to it and a place to pull in and quickly unload right outside. 

 

Really don't see what your problem was.  Think you really need a better sat Nav.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, trastrick said:

Theoretically I agree!

 

Yes, I too can read a map. Took me all of 5 seconds! 

 

But, unfortunately I had a car!  Lol

Sheffield hotels and visitors have all benefited in recent years with the introduction of the brown tourist signs directing visitors to the numerous hotels in the city centre and the suburbs.

 

Once you are on Arundel Gate there is a sign indicating the directions to the Mercure (to be fair it may say St Pauls) and the Cutlers.

 

As far as your comment about the Peace Gardens are concerned on an earlier post.

 

In the 1980's, some 40 years ago we had the Peace Gardens dwarfed by the hideous Egg Box Town Hall extension. In addition to walk through the Peace Gardens in those days meant stepping over empty cider bottles and the like.

 

Now the Peace Gardens are family friendly (which maybe the reason you found them non-peaceful) and a fantastic addition to the city centre which is investing millions to make it better place for us to enjoy.

 

I don't live or work in Sheffield any more but I not only think it's a great place but also has some of the most exciting developments taking place there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hideous "egg boxes" and such are going up all over town. The main road Sheffield - London Road, which served well for a thousand years, has been totally blocked off with another "hideous" huge brick prison like building. The Moor used to be a bright clean pedestrian treat to walk up and window shop.

 

Now it's a a cheap market arcade!

 

All "progress"!

 

Along wit  Holes in the Road, Park Hills Flats, 13 storey flats, and "egg boxes" that have all been pulled down after a few unproductive years.

 

Lets face it it the best part of Sheffield is the part where the politicians haven't yet done their "fantastatic" change,

 

Derbyshire!

 

Lol

 

 

Edited by trastrick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was stated having HS2 in the centre would save 1bn, now they are talking about sending 1.5bn ! put it back to Meadowhall and save 500m your welcome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it be feasible to excavate behind the station and create 2 new platforms (9 and 10) and put Sheaf Street traffic  above this?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For journeys South, it looks like Chesterfield Station will be busy for the next few years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

So?  It's easily done in a car.   

 

The hotel itself has no parking but one assumes you checked that when you booked it.   There is on street parking next to it and a place to pull in and quickly unload right outside. 

 

Really don't see what your problem was.  Think you really need a better sat Nav.  

Not to belabour the point but, no street parking spots available, when we were there, and the alley leading to the entrance was clogged with service vans. Got up to the dead end tiny turning circle to find it clogged too.  When we waited for a spot a little closer and checked in, we got hemmed in by double parkers, and had to sit in the car, and wait for somebody to leave, then had to enlist the help of locals to help get all the way back down in reverse. A little fun circus.

 

When all that's needed are a couple of red plastic cones designating  a "guest check in" or unloading spot, and bingo! problem solved. Or (gasp) a guy on the door.  It IS a big hotel!

 

I've driven through most of Europe and N. America, Mexico and the Caribbean, and stayed in everything from hostels, to 5 star hotels, and never had a complaint, because it's all about expectations, and common sense.

 

Normally after a long journey, you drive up, check in, and THEN  ask the desk for local parking info.

 

The problem with the GPS, was that it didn't show temporary construction road closures and temporary "no turns" signs. So we also had an hour's fun driving around before we could get near the place.

 

 

Edited by trastrick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, trastrick said:

Not to belabour the point but, no street parking spots available, when we were there, and the alley leading to the entrance was clogged with service vans. Got up to the dead end tiny turning circle to find it clogged too.  When we waited for a spot a little closer and checked in, we got hemmed in by double parkers, and had to sit in the car, and wait for somebody to leave, then had to enlist the help of locals to help get all the way back down in reverse. A little fun circus.

 

When all that's needed are a couple of red plastic cones designating  a "guest check in" or unloading spot, and bingo! problem solved. Or (gasp) a guy on the door.  It IS a big hotel!

 

I've driven through most of Europe and N. America, Mexico and the Caribbean, and stayed in everything from hostels, to 5 star hotels, and never had a complaint, because it's all about expectations, and common sense.

 

Normally after a long journey, you drive up, check in, and THEN  ask the desk for local parking info.

 

The problem with the GPS, was that it didn't show temporary construction road closures and temporary "no turns" signs. So we also had an hour's fun driving around before we could get near the place.

 

 

Normally??

Never in my life have I done that when staying in a hotel.  Even where a hotel has its own parking it will be park first and then go check in.

 

If I was staying in a city centre hotel like Mercure it would be ludicrous to think that they would be a place to "temporarily park" while checking in.   As I said before, the majority of in city  hotels barely have  vehicle access at all.  The Mercure doesn't own the road so it can't simply put cones out for their use nor are they of sufficient price point to be having a permanent doorman. 

 

By the nature of their location the vast majority of their guests will be coming by train or other forms of transport.  For those who drive most will have the common sense to park in whichever public car park is nearby and walk to the hotel to check in.  This is what the majority of people will do all the time in all cities.

 

Your expectations are wildly inaccurate.

 

As for the rest of your whining - that's called being in a city.  Ah diddums there was nowhere to park, Ah diddums you have to wait around for people to move, oh shock horror you have to make an awkward u-turn.   So?  It's what all cities are like.  I would have thought with your knowledge of driving in London you would be more than used to that.

 

Perhaps city centres really aren't for you.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, trastrick said:

Hideous "egg boxes" and such are going up all over town. The main road Sheffield - London Road, which served well for a thousand years, has been totally blocked off with another "hideous" huge brick prison like building. The Moor used to be a bright clean pedestrian treat to walk up and window shop.

 

Now it's a a cheap market arcade!

 

All "progress"!

 

Along wit  Holes in the Road, Park Hills Flats, 13 storey flats, and "egg boxes" that have all been pulled down after a few unproductive years.

 

Lets face it it the best part of Sheffield is the part where the politicians haven't yet done their "fantastatic" change,

 

Derbyshire!

 

Lol

 

 

Pretty much everything in this post is just false or inaccurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Normally??

Never in my life have I done that when staying in a hotel.  Even where a hotel has its own parking it will be park first and then go check in.

 

If I was staying in a city centre hotel like Mercure it would be ludicrous to think that they would be a place to "temporarily park" while checking in.   As I said before, the majority of in city  hotels barely have  vehicle access at all.  The Mercure doesn't own the road so it can't simply put cones out for their use nor are they of sufficient price point to be having a permanent doorman. 

 

By the nature of their location the vast majority of their guests will be coming by train or other forms of transport.  For those who drive most will have the common sense to park in whichever public car park is nearby and walk to the hotel to check in.  This is what the majority of people will do all the time in all cities.

 

Your expectations are wildly inaccurate.

 

As for the rest of your whining - that's called being in a city.  Ah diddums there was nowhere to park, Ah diddums you have to wait around for people to move, oh shock horror you have to make an awkward u-turn.   So?  It's what all cities are like.  I would have thought with your knowledge of driving in London you would be more than used to that.

 

Perhaps city centres really aren't for you.  

Every hotel on 3 continents I have ever stayed in (literally hundreds) has an unloading area or temporary stopping spot for taxis, or for heavy suitcases, or a doorman, or valet parking.  My recent trip to London comes to mind.

 

We obviously live in different worlds.

 

But your system is good enough for Sheffield, I suppose.  Lol

Edited by trastrick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.